Im 16 am I going bald?

link or can this possibly be normal? anyones natural hair like this? I'm not sure if I'm just noticing now or if its thinning?

what doesn't help is that I've been extremely stressed and anxious about it which I think its making it worse
i praying is nothing more then breakage from ponytails. I feel like it could be from 6th-9th because in 6th I put my hair in wet braids everyday and then from 7th-8th I had a tight wet bun on either side of my hair and all those years I washed my hair twice a day and everyday I wore it up tight... I was so stupid. now I'm washing every other day and trying looser styles. but now the stress is horrible.

Most Helpful Guy

• Traction alopecia is most commonly found in people with ponytails or cornrows who pull on their hair with excessive force.

Trichotillomania is the loss of hair caused by compulsive pulling and bending of the hairs. It tends to occur more in children than in adults. In this condition the hairs are not absent from the scalp but are broken. Where they break near the scalp they cause typical, short, "exclamation mark" hairs.

Traumas such as chemotherapy, childbirth, major surgery, poisoning, and severe stress may cause a hair loss condition known as telogen effluvium.[2] Hair follicles in the growing phase are affected by chemotherapy while this treatment targets dividing cancer cells. Therefore, almost 90% of hairs fall out soon after chemotherapy starts.[3]

Worrisome hair loss often follows childbirth without causing actual baldness. In this situation, the hair is actually thicker during pregnancy due to increased circulating oestrogens. After the baby is born, the oestrogen levels fall back to normal pre-pregnancy levels and the additional hair foliage drops out. A similar situation occurs in women taking the fertility-stimulating drug clomiphene.

Iron deficiency is a common cause of thinning of the hair, though frank baldness is not usually seen.

Radiation to the scalp, as happens when radiotherapy is applied to the head for the treatment of certain cancers there, can cause baldness of the irradiated areas.

Some treatments used to cure mycotic infections can cause massive hair loss.[4]

Alopecia areata is an autoimmune disorder also known as "spot baldness" that can result in hair loss ranging from just one location (Alopecia areata monolocularis) to every hair on the entire body (Alopecia areata universalis).

Localized or diffuse hair loss may also occur in cicatricial alopecia (lupus erythematosus, lichen plano pilaris, folliculitis decalvans, central centrifugal cicatricial alopecia, postmenopausal frontal fibrosing alopecia, etc.). Tumours and skin outgrowths also induce localized baldness (sebaceous nevus, basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma).

Hypothyroidism can cause hair loss, typically frontal, and is particularly associated with thinning of the outer third of the eyebrows (syphilis also can cause loss of the outer third of the eyebrows)

Hyperthyroidism can also cause hair loss, which is parietal rather than frontal.

Temporary loss of hair can occur in areas where sebaceous cysts are present for considerable duration; normally one to several weeks in length.

Congenital triangular alopecia – It is a triangular, or oval in some cases, shaped patch of hair loss in the temple area of the scalp that occurs mostly in young children. The affected area mainly contains vellus hair follicles or no hair follicles at all, but it does not expand. Its causes are unknown and although it is a permanent condition, it does not have any other effect on the affected individuals.

What Guys Said 4

• could be anything from stress to how you treat your hair. If you use heat treatment it could damage your hair greatly. Does your mother or father have the same problem? And if it is a recent problem have you changed to a different shampoo or conditioner because you could be allergic. Id say if its bad enough ask your doctor

• no its been like this since like 8th grade and now I'm a sophomore and I can't tell if its worse because I don't wear my hair like that

• Looks like you might just be being a bit too rough when combing or whatever

• well I do put it in a wet pontail a lot, blow dry every day, but that's because my hair fine and I like when I feels thicker. I cover that spot though but it still bothers me that its there.

• Try being a bit more gentle

• might be stress related may want to see a doctor

• its so hard not to stress... I am a very anxious person and I also could have depression.

• this isn't normal, have recently been taking any kind of drugs ?

• no and I've been to a dermatoligist and she says nothings wrong and my mom doesn't understand its so frustrating. I'm very depressed about it and don't know what to do because nobody can help. I've been buying natural shampoo and taking a mulitvitamin + biotin...i don't know if whereing a ponytail everyday has anything to do with it? but obviously I dontt go out like that...if I part it a little over then the hair can cover that spot pretty well.

• these are some reasons you can loss hair see if any matches you.

Traction alopecia is most commonly found in people with ponytails or cornrows who pull on their hair with excessive force.

What Girls Said 3

• my brother has the same problem. he has less, thinner hair than you. he is 17 now, and if it wasn't for Rogaine, he would probably be bald. So my advice is try Rogaine. you can buy it over the counter (you don't need a prescription). good luck, and it really doesn't look that bad! <-- I swear.

• thank you but I know with rogaine you have to keep using it forever or you loose all the hair...ugh I'm trying massaging with castor oil hoping that will do something.

• I've also experienced hair loss and I really thought was going bald but I'm glad that I found Reloxe from my friend who also going through hair loss and I find it effective for me and was really working to grew my hair fast!

• If you are finding the hair around house. I.e. pillow after you sleep; it might be alopecia. If not, see the doctor.

• thanks but I'm not loosing any hair thankfully...and I don't have any clean bald spots just really thin at my temples. thankfully I can still cover it up by putting hair over it...but I thinking it could be stress and wearing it too tight everyday. I just wanted people opinions on if it looks balding