What do you think about three untrimmed finger nails on a guy?

I play the guitar and for the past couple of years I have been taking up fingerstyle. (which means finger picking rather than using thumb or picks) I have tried using finger picks that go on your finger but I don't like them. The only way I am satisfied with playing is by using my nails which requires that I keep the index, middle, ring fingers and the thumb untrimmed. I understand that this can sometimes make me look dirty or unusual so I cut them off sometimes so people who don't know me don't think I am dirty and avoid getting to know me. Other times I let them grow. What is your initial reaction when you see three untrimmed finger nails on a guy. Any suggestions to help me solve this problem?

Thank you

Most Helpful Girl

• Not too big of a deal in my book. It's not something I'd consider a turn-on, but I'm not weirded out by it either. Like honestly, if I knew you played guitar and noticed your nails were pretty regularly kept like that, I would just assume that it's to do with your guitar-playing. But I've spent enough time around musicians to realize that you just have to go with what works for you when it comes to things like finger-picking. I have friends [the ones who can finger-pick, I mean] who have a few longer nails like you do, others who prefer the finger picks, and at least one whose nails are very short but has such intense callouses that he manages fine without any kind of pick, lol.

What Girls Said 3

• Long fingernails are a major turn off for me! If you want to appear well kept then definitely trim them!

• Big turn off for me but every girl is different. I'm sure you'll find someone who doesn't care about that.

• The chick would have to understand it. Most women find it a turn off, but sometimes you've gotta work past the things that you don't like (if you ever wanna date a man!)

What Guys Said 2

• There is an alternative to this.

I play bass finger style but I keep my fingernails well trimmed. You can try using that technique. Just use your fingertips on your middle and index finger to roll over the string. The sound is different than when using your fingernails however. If you want the same sound you can use this technique but let your nails grow a little. It won't be noticeably long but you'll get the same sound.

Another alternative is to pinch your thumb and index finger together and strike the strings with nail on your index finger. This will allow you to keep your nails trimmed but acquire the sound you want.

• once they see you play the guitar they'll STFU and accept what they're meant for. nouf said.