Are guys sometimes intimidated by average looking girls?

I consider myself to be average looking, or maybe that's just my perception, since I don't get hit on much in public or school, except when a guy is asking me for directions on the train, but it seems like guys in school are a bit hesitant to talk to me, as in they go out of their way to sit next to me, and they look at me... I don't think I'm anything special, but why won't guys in college approach me easily like they do to the other average looking girls? My male professor has been the only" guy" so to speak who asked me where I come from and joke with me. Guys just sit near me in class and that's it... If a guy sits near you does that mean he's usually interested or just his preference (assuming I tend to sit in the same seat every class)...

Most Helpful Guy

• Average looking depends on who you ask. I've had girls that I thought were drop-dead gorgeous, while my friends, looking at the exact same woman, couldn't find the attraction with a map and a Sherpa guide. Inversely, I've seen my friends drool over girls while my only thought about her was "meh".

Like others have said, if there's a guy you like who happens to sit near you, say hi! Give him some kind of opening to talk to you. Who knows where it could lead?

What Guys Said 5

• Personally I have never dated any girls in class when I was in college and I was very shy around them at that now. Nowadays I wouldn't have they much of a problem to start a conversation but I am understand how some people (especially guys) can be shy about talking. There's nothing wrong in you talking to them first. Once they get to know you then I am sure you will have a few offers from guys.

• You've gotta be friendly and approachable too. You can't just want guys to approach you just because you're pretty. And what's wrong with going out of YOUR way to talk to guys? Why do guys have to be the ones to go out of their way to talk to girls? No offense, but in this situation you're the only one to blame for not talking to many guys :/

• Well, I've never ever had to approach guys before, all the really interested ones came to me first. I assumethey are just not interested enough if they don't approach me first... And I don't assume that they want to talk to me just because they are sitting next to me...

• Okay, but I'm saying you should approach guys too. It's not really fair if you only want guys to approach you. That's a pretty bad double standard that I dislike.

• Maybe you put off bad vibes or something. I've seen people that've been like that before.

• No, people tell me that I look a bit shy, but not unapproachable.

• No

• I don't bother chatting up any girl that doesn't even bother to look my way. A glance and a smile will do, but if I don't even get that, then I figure she's not interested in talking. So far, stepping out of that zone has proven me right every time.

What Girls Said 3

• You look unapproachable?

You're less than average?

They're just not interested?

The guys are shy? (yes guys get shy over approaching even average girls)

If a guy sits near you does that mean he's usually interested or just his preference

preference

• I feel that I have the same thing, but asking guyfriends has helped me understand that my body language tends to be a the reason because of my attitude towiards guys that I know are just looking to be smooth. Maybe you should try making conversatoin because some guys are pressured, so you making the first move may relieve the stress for the boy and it'll make a steady progress.

Don't feel bad for boys that are intimidated because the good guys will eventually make move and not be scared. Patience is the key ;)

• No, they are intimidated by above average girls, not average.

But, girls can always be intimidating. Perhaps your body language sends different messages

• What do peole really mean by average looking and above avg looking... Like, where is the line drawn? How do you know if you're avg or above avg?

• Below average: 1-4

Average:5-6

Above Average:7-10

Based on a scale of 1-10.

It's really subjective to be quite honest...below average, I'm pretty sure you could spot that, above average I guess is something you'd also spot, a person so attractive that it catches everyones attention. Average are the "blah" ones haha. I'm average too, or at least I'd like to think I am :O