What makes a girl seem nerdy to you just on first looks?

Today was the first time a stranger said I was nerdy. I was riding on a train reading a book, when these two teen girls got on the seat beside me, and kept glancing over me, and shouted "nerd alert".

I shouldn't be insulted because they were a bunch of stupid high school girls...I mean I don't think I'm particularly ugly, I'm at worst average looking. I didn't do them any harm...I just got called a nerd.

It's kind of eye opening...

Actually, scratch that, I wasn't reading a book, I was actually holding a book in my hand and looking out the train window...

Most Helpful Girl

• To answer your question, typical public would think a girl "seem" nerdy is wearing specs, carrying books, conservative in what they wear, a bit more low key, talks about academic and theoretical stuff a lot, (maybe) plays music rather than being more sportsy, enjoys studying and researching sciences, "look" socially awkward (like not looking into people when talking or prefer to stay in the background)...etc

What I think about this situation: Those girls are playing with your minds and plain mean. I've been called like that and these idiots, with nothing better to do with their time, are purely playing mind games by throwing "absurd" remarks and judgement on you to second guess yourself. How you look is subjective. Behave and present yourself well from the outside and the inside, and you have nothing to worry of.

What Guys Said 3

• Yeaaah, for your information I much rather prefer an average girl who loves to read instead of young high school girls who cannot appreciate reading.

It's eye opening to hear the sort of low class drivel from younger people, but it is to be expected when their education relies on our society's emphasis on social acceptance.

• I don't know what makes a girl seem nerdy, but I'd much rather have a supposedly "nerdy" girl that reads books as aposed to a girl who tries to insult someone based on their appearance. That's why I somewhat disliked high shcool girls because they tend to think they are better than other people and they attempt to start sh*t for no reason. I'd like to see how they end up in a few years.

• They're little kids. Try not to worry about them saying that. Even if someone thought you looked like a nerd, only pathetic individuals would go out and yell nerd alert to someone they don't even know. That shows how immature they really are.

What Girls Said 3

• Ohhh forget them! They probably get D's and F's on all their school work and think it's cool...in other words, their opinions do not matter and never read. I love reading books and a train ride seems like an awesome place to sit down for a great read.

• You had a book. Many stupid high school girls don't understand the point of books. Hence, "nerd."

Do you wear glasses? That's another stereotype that might have led them to say that.

Regardless, how obnoxious and immature of them. :|

• You were reading a book. (I read, so I'm not criticizing). I'm sure that's why.

• so?!?! a lot of people read on trains, I think it's a much harmless way than passing the time making fun of other people

• I do too, but clearly these girls were bimbos. Who cares what they think?