Thoughts on man jewelry?

What does it mean if guys wear jewelry beyond a wedding ring?

Bracelets?

Ring on right hand?

Is it a sign of homosexuality or are guys growing more fashion conscious these days?

Most Helpful Guy

• First of all, a wrist watch (being worn on exposed on the arm, as opposed to a pocket watch) is generally considered jewelry, and I almost always wear one. I bet most of the guys here who said they only wear a wedding ring, also wear a watch.

Beyond that, men (heterosexual) have been wearing ear rings or studs for decades. At first, many suspected that it was a sign of homosexuality, but that belief passed (or so we believed) long ago. That said, there are many types of ear rings that are beyond fashionable for men that may well point to the wearer being of an alternative gender preference.

I have also seen many men (definitely hetero) wearing bracelets. Jewelry of many types can be warn most any time by men, but I notice it is very common when the man is dressed up. That may be for business, going out, going to church, etc, which means most of the time for many men.

If the man is wearing many rings, one long dangly ear ring, a "flapper" style necklace, and maybe even a garter, okay he just might be gay.

What Guys Said 20

• I personally wouldn't, but this is nothing new. Guys have always worn jewelry, especially in certain cultures. Hell, look at Mr. T!

This is nothing new, nothing changing.

• I think that is a rarity. I don't see men with a lot of jewelry unless there old Italian types. My family does have a family ring that have been pasted down on the male side of the family but nobody wears it, my grand father got it in Aruba when he was a young man many years ago. Its just a keep sake.

• Why would sexual preference effect fashion sense? Stop being ignorant.

I wear a watch and a ring that my dad gave me before he died. That's it.

• I only wear my wedding ring right now, but I also used to wear a jade necklace which I got for my 15th birthday, more of a Chinese tradition. So I guess some guys could be wearing their jewelry as a tradition or momento from a special occasion.

• The only ring I'll ever wear is a wedding ring.

• The guys just wearing what he wants to wear, I mean, it doesn't necessarily mean anything. I wear makeup, hairspray, and I'm always draped in jewellery designed for women - and I have a keen interest in girls, you get me?

Its not really a 'these days' thing, think about the Roman age, Rococo period, the Art Nouveau movement in France or even the 1960s Freak Scene and 1970s Glam Scene. If anything the general populace of men care less about how they look now than they have for hundreds of years - or at least, they pretend to. Right? =]

• No; that's cool. Many do wear others apart from the wedding ring, which is heavily influenced by different cultures; for instance, those following the hip hop culture do wear certain type of jewellery. And I can be a metissage of cultures, whereby you can't precisely identify if he is following a specific culture/style/fashion as he does not seem to do so.

• A dumb question easily answered by googling of the history of jewellery.

Guys have always worn jewellery.

Most guys have been straight.

Maybe the guys not wearing jewellery have something to hide?

• I wear a necklace with an ankh and native american bracelet with spiritual significance and I am not gay nor trying to be fashionable, I wear them because simply because I like them. Also, a lot of guys wear necklaces and bracelets and I didn't know that it implied they were possibly gay, well it doesn't, but I didn't know people looked into meaningless things like that.

• Depends on the item in my opinion. I wear a livestrong band representative of a close friend of mine who died when she was 17 of cancer and a necklace that stays hidden at all times that was passed down in my family. I am far closer to homophobic than homosexual. Not sure of what people think of it, but I have no intention of removing them for any reason but my own.

• Depends on the jewellery really

• No it has nothing to do with being gay. I'm as straight as they come and I low jewelry. Always wear my wedding ring a nice diamond necklace nice icey watch matching bracelet and have 7 ear piercings but only wear 2 diamonds in each. It's just a way to show off your money if that's your style. Or if you listen to rap your mainly going to go that route. Gay isn't even in the equation.

• i'm a young man who believes anything outside of wedding ring or maybe an ear piercing is not okay for men to wear.. but hey I'm that square who rocks a tucked in shirt with his shorts. so maybe I'm the wrong guy to answer this one for today's style..

• Well, I wear a steel ring on my right hand ring finger, and in the past have worn other rings as status of bond for my significant other of the time, and have been known to wear studded bracelets/ silly bands. I also have in my possession a shroom necklace I got from my latest girlfriend. So, I wouldn't consider it gay, but I have been considered "cute," "gay," and possibly eccentric/ flamboyant. Keep in mind, though, that I also keep rather long hair and am said to have that "look."

• I myself wear a necklace, a ring, and an earring, and I'm totally strait. I plan on getting another ring soon. It's not a sign of homosexuality it's just jewelry.

• Gay.

• I don't understand guys who casually wear a necklace, a bracelet, a watch, and 1 or 2 rings.. if it's at a wedding or something I'd understand. But otherwise these guys are trying hard to impress when they have no reason to.

• I don't rock any jewelry

never liked it

• Interesting question...need more input & discussion... I wear my wedding band and nothing else.

• I don't like rings on guys, but I love bracelets on guys, it makes them look sexy ;)

What Girls Said 11

• I know some guys who have a necklace, a bracelet, watch, ring(s) or other jewellery that they wear. It's not because they aren't straight, it's just a fashion choice. Everyone has pieces of their wardrobe they like to wear, that is all the jewellery is for.

• I think it's a great & often sexy way for a man to express his personality. The type he wears can tell you more about him(or at least his style) since jewelery is often so individually taste specific. I do, however, feel just as with women it can be tacky or cheap looking if not done correctly. Taste is something you either have or don't & I'd say hard to teach. It's also much like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so "rock on" whatever you feel is really "you". :)

• Men have always worn jewelry, just as women always have...in no way is it an indicator of homosexuality

• Guys have always been "fashion conscious," maybe less than females, but they have. If men weren't fashion conscious they would be walking around wearing things like kilts thinking that is okay.

I think what you mean instead of fashion conscious is if this is a trend that is becoming more acceptable for men.

• if we're allowed to wear it and not be judged,what's the difference when guys wear it? it's an expression of your personality

• My man likes some jewelry and he is not homosexual :) lol guys like to have different senses of style as well as girls

• i don't think its gay,

but very few guys pull it off with style.

• Jewelry looks funny on guys. The end.

• it dosn't mean anything. he likes it.

• my husband some times wears a nice watch that I bought for him and also his dog tags for the army regulations or what not. I think that's fine. I don't really like jewelry so I don't think my guy should wear that much jewelry just so he matches me though... but really jewelry is tacky some times...

I have met a few guys who like to wear one earring or something like that, they think it makes them look "cool" or whatever.

• depends on the jewelry.

it is DEFINITELY NOT a sign of homosexuality lol. I know someone who wears a cross- not really a fashion statement, but it is a form of jewelry.