How do I style my hair without damaging it?

When I leave my hair to its natural devices (even with creams and sprays) it looks like a crazy gross rat's nest.

When I style my hair (curling or straightening) it looks really good. However, the heat products always fry and damage my hair and dry it out big time.

I've used various sprays and creams for heat protecting, as well as deep conditioners to restore moisture, but with no luck. Any recommendations?

Here's a list of the brands I tried that didn't work:

--Suave

--Dove

--Herbal Essence

--Aussie

--Tresemme

--Sunsilk

--Pantene

--Garnier

Most Helpful Girl

• Talk to your hair dresser about it. There's a right way to use heat products on your hair and a wrong way, you might not be doing it quite right.

Or start using a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner on a regular basis- that will have long term effects about the dryness of your hair and, after several uses will work with the spray/cream to keep things healthy and moist (eeewwww, hate that word).

There are also products that you use BEFORE you apply the heat- make sure you read how to use the products.

But your hairdresser should be able to suggest the best products for that purpose. There are a lot of specialty products that are only in hair salons that actually work a lot better.

So good luck! Talk to a stylist- they should be able to help you a lot. Or else go to your local Sal's Beauty Supplies store, if they have those where you are, and talk to one of the employees, they should be able to help.

What Guys Said 1

• Have you tried explaining your situation to your hairstylist? He/she might help. If not, then maybe try some of the stronger hair moisturizing products. I've heard the some of the Aveeno and John Frieda conditioners are quite powerful.

• My hairstylist works at an Aveda salon, so she recommends Aveda products. Those work better than the ones I've listed, but they're still not great. John Frieda works on some occasions, but it's not consistent enough.

What Girls Said 6

• Buy some large but flat clips for your hair, like plain French Barettes or duck bill clips. Put your wet hair in pin curls and sleep with them like that. It's quicker and easier than hear styling, the curls hold better and it doesn't damage your hair. As for straightening, I don't know :( hope his helps!

• I use protectant for my hair and I use repairing shampoo and conditioner a few times a week.

John Frieda Repair is amazing and I use the serum every night or every time I shower.

Then I use this stuff called Got 2 B sleek (comes in a triangular orange container) and I put that on before I blowdry or straighten my hair.

• I would try to take hair vitamins to make sure your hair gets stronger. other than that, a straightener will damage hair so any protection is helpful.

• Tresemme Heat Tamer totally works...if your hair is already damaged then it's not going to suddenly make it better?

• maybe try a hair treatment, There is this brand called lee stafford (I don't think its sold in the U.S though) anyways, they have an overnight protein hair treatment, it works really good.

Or watch this link

• try adding a bit of olive oil into your conditioner, research it up. I have heard it really works.