Why do most guys like girls with long hair?

Is it instinctual or something? I mean wouldn't it really depend on the face shape?

Most Helpful Girl

• it's actually a socially constructed idea of feminism. a man has short hair, a woman has long hair. it's just like how in america a man doesn't shave his body, but a woman does. just like some men think it's girlie to get manicures, but some think it's essential to good grooming. women wear dresses, men wear pants. it's all dumb and subjective ideas about what it means to be a specific gender (it's as bad as stereotyping race).

regardless, beauty is still subjective. a guy can like long hair, but he may come across a girl with short hair and think she's gorgeous. I used to have shoulder length hair and then I cut it all off. I love it and I don't look less "feminine". I've actually got more attention for it because men see it as being bold and confident enough not to hide behind my hair and look amazing doing it.

it did take a lot of balls to cut my hair off because my family is very traditional and hair is important (my sister, and I quote, said "you'll look like a dyke" which had to be the most offensive thing I've heard, not just from her, but others as well when I said I was going to cut my hair). but that's the f***ed up world we live in where douchebags rule and stupidity florishes.

oh and by the way - everybody loved my cut. there are a few people who think short hair is 'for boys' but the amount of positive versus negative trumps the bullsh*t :)

• short hair on a girl is just unattractive its that simple and most guys will agree with me.

• wow! the saddest part is that you're actually serious. you seem a bit obsessed with homosexuality. I don't know if you're a homophobe who is actually gay or a straight man who just can't get laid (more specifically by women with short hair, who seem to be a challenge for you). either way, you're still a jackass. grow up.

• Actually the real reason is that it's instinctual. Long hair is a sign of health which is associated with being a better child bearer... it's all in the genes.

What Guys Said 12

• I don't know why but I find long hair very pretty.

• I like tyt_2011's long hair, but it makes everyone else look like a goober.

• shes 17 your 55 seriously get a life old man.

• oh yes he likes her hair,what a pedo! run children,run,he might try to rape your hair!

• Gee Xia90, methinks you protesteth too much. Apparently I struck a nerve. But children will be children. (Oh, and thanks fer sayin, xzinax2) ; - )

• as long as the hair is not less than neck-length (maybe... like this link ?) and the hair does not extend past the lower back of the lady, I am OK with it.

and even if I'm not OK with the length, I might just get used to it. but I really do prefer her hair length to match with her personality. though it's fine if it doesn't.

there ya have it, folks. I don't care (much) about a woman's hair length.

• Instincts aren't real.

Most Guys like Most Girls with long hair because Most Girls like Most Guys with muscles. If you see what I'm saying? I don't know why all this happened but its very possibly inadvertent social conditioning that came with Post-Fall of Rome Entertainment and Feudal systems.

So, inadvertently, being a male who likes long hair on a female marks you out as supporting the Feudalist System. :D

• i agree with some of what you said about social conditioning. a lot of our notions of beauty stem from the societies we are born into.

on the other hand I defo think instincts exist esp in regard to how people look at members of the opposite gender as a potential mate (strength in men and wide hips/signs of health and high fertility in women) lol I know its weird to some to think of ourselves on such an animalistic level but its kinda cool too.

• Oh, no, of course instincts exist. I was using hyperbole to make a point in an extreme fashion. I believe they exist but not nearly to the degree that everyone insists so, and even if they do, its merely a coincidence that what the supposed and probably non-existant majority are interested at this period of time in history among our niche slice of culture happens to coincide with explainable fertility laws, you know what I mean?

• Some girls look good with short hair but honestly I perfer long hair mainly because it is what I'm used to seeing.

• Long hair is feminine. I am attracted to feminine looking women, not masculine looking women.

• Why do girls like guys with shorter hair?

• In my case I think it is instinctual and psychological. I like some girls just for having long hair, I wouldn't have like them I had met them with shorter hair. It doesn't depends on their face shape, their hair's good looking and their proud of having long hair is what turn me on.

• I don't care about hair length at all.

• I generally like longer hair, but some people can pull off bobs. I still don't like it too short, though. I just don't find very short hair attractive. As for why, I don't know.

• i like girls with long hair, because I like ponytails, that's the only reason why I like long hair

• Long hair is feminine when I see a girl with short hair I think dyke and that's usually the case. Plus girls look better with longer hair at least down to the shoulders not any shorter.

• wow...smh

• he's a d*ck for having an opinion?

btw, guy that answered this, I know a girl with hair that's like an inch or two long and she definitely isn't a dyke.

• "short hair is unattractive and that's the truth it makes the girl look like a guy might as well grow facial hair if she does that." - I just wanted you to read that again so you can see how stupid this statement is.

What Girls Said 7

• i have a pixie cut and love it,and even though most men say they prefer long hair,no man has complained about my hair.they say they like long hair cause it's more feminine,but I've also read that men who say that they like it cause it's more feminine are usually gay and trying to cover up their homosexuality by saying they want a feminine woman-and one of the symbols of femininity is long hair (long hair shiny hair shows good health and youth which leads to having good genes which makes you a good partner),of course,that probably isn't true,for all men at least.i find that if a guy truly loves a woman,her hair won't matter to him.

• Of course it depends on the face shape.

Many girls look bad with long hair, they just don't see it.

And guys don't see it either. They just see long hair and think: "Uuuu pretty!" . . .

Us girls see the difference, but guys usually don't.

Just as girls believe that lipstick of an eccentric color looks interesting, while most guys think it looks too made up.

They don't see the big picture.

They only see the things that stand out.

• I thinhk it is slightly instinctual :) long hair is seen as being feminine which attracts most guys :D

• and for a short hair a girl needs to have a really pretty face otherwise she will look ugly I mean check most models and take their hair of most would look ugly lol...

• hmm... :/ whichever means less steps ^_^

• Lol, no I mean its either a step up or step down :P Step downs probably easier, though, hahaha

• I asked my boyfriend why he liked my long hair and didn't want me to cut it off...he said it was cause he could play with it :P He said he liked me with long hair cause he likes the feeling of his fingers going through it and it makes me look prettier and stuff sooo...yeah :)

• I have LONG hair, almost down to my ass and I've gotten nothing but compliments on it :)

• I have pretty long hair and people always seem to like it a lot.

• so they can play with it I guess