Are the eyes really "the window to the soul"?

When making eye contact with a person. Can the eyes tell everything about the person?

Most Helpful Girl

• Not everything, no. But they can clue you into a lot. It's great because guys tend to rarely be vocal about things that are upsetting them, but their eyes will at least hint that something is going on. I tend to never look anyone in the eye (not purposefully) just because it can be very intense.

What Girls Said 23

• can you tell what colour underwear a person is wearing by looking in their eyes?

• They say that because you see what the person is really feeling. It's hard to mask emotion in the eyes. If you look at some photos, you can tell who's happy to be there nd who wasn't; by looking at their eyes.

So that's where the old saying comes from, because you can usually tell a persons mood by their eyes

• I think they can.

Just look at two separate peoples eyes, it'll tell you different things, nobody says they're correct though, it's just opinion really.

• I think making eye contact is considered looking into the soul because its like their reading your thoughts or something. Because our brain is right behind our eyes and we can see them looking at us so we think they can see our thoughts and its a very close moment because people typically avoid eye contact.

• I think that the eyes are "the window to the soul" but only if the other person stares back..

but just so you know :

when not attracted - your eyes roam from the persons eyes and forehead...

when attracted-your eyes roam from the persons lips, neck, and eyes...

lol hope I helped a little=]

(its not 100% accurate...Body language course )

• random fact: when talking to someone you like/are attracted to, you're eyes tend to dilate.

but if you're in a dark room its kind of hard to use that rationale to prove that someone is attracted to you

• eyes dilate when you see something you hate as well..

• Eyes dilate after certain eye exams as well

• haha I know, I've had eye exams

but its EXTREMELY likely that the person with the dilated eyes isn't having an eye exam right before every time they see you

• Well I don't think you can tell who the person is by looking them in the eyes, but to me eyes is something personal, I have a hard time looking people in the eyes because it becomes so intense or personal, it's so deep.

Even though I don't have a problem to look into someone I'm close with or comfortable with, but often I avoid to look in the eyes anyway, by looking past them or something, my friends family and others has mentioned that to me, and I just really can't help it.

• what's a soul?

Eyes can tell you if a person is lying, remembering, imagining, day dreaming, if a person is concentrating, if they're angry... But the rest of the body does this as well, it's called body language.

• I think eyes can tell person's emotions. I know I get complicated on my deep eyes, some people are even scared to keep eye contact with me because they feel I can see through their soul:D

• I don't know if it will tell you everything about a person but I do believe they show emotion and you can see how people feel through their eyes (love, sadness, fear, anger, happiness etc.)

• how they move their eyes...where they stare, or don't stare, if theyre trying to hide their eyes...

it can tell you a freakin lot

you just have to pay attention

o_0

• There's no such thing as a soul, and the eyes can't tell everything about a person. It can tell what mood they are in, whether they are lying or not etc

• I think they can. Yep

• I thought the saying was: "The eyes are the windows to the heart."

• No... I think it's bullsh*t.

• i can tell about eye contact

• If the eye's are the windows to the soul, her soul's somewhere in mexico!

• many times yes. you can tell how someone really feels but so many people don't make proper eye contact and really pay attention to other people these days

• You can just tell what the person feels...except not really because looks can be deceiving

• Nope, eyes are "the window to see yourself" :D

*stares at own reflection*

• yes its true...eyes talk...but but but..there is a big but...few can read them...fem know the language. that's why people usually can't differentiate among

1.love

2.lust

3.attention

4.attraction

and

1.hate

2.anger

3. ignorance

• no, you have to be wise and ask the right questions to really get to know a person.

• I don't believe in this, no.

What Guys Said 19

• Yes they are. Go look up old ancient ninja technique. Ninjas understood that you can actually feel people looking at you because a projection of our souls is pointed wherever we look. Once they feel your soul, they know you are looking at them.

this is why you can never sneak up on a ninja.

This works against girls tho (lolol). Whoever says eye contact doesn't work is lying to you. The eyes tell ALL.

• yes especially women, as they tend to be emotional, their eyes say a lot about the mood, or what they feel at the moment.

• Eye contact is very important in being present in any interpersonal encounter. The eyes also give away a lot about how present (and interested) that person happens to be in you or your conversation, activity, etc.

Beyond that, your expectations about the eyes giving you insight into the entirety of another person's character is pretty much wishful thinking.

Keep in mind that the first few times you meet someone, they're wearing their social "mask". It takes a long time to truly get to know someone, so your initial concern should only be "is this person worth the investment?"

• Zombies don't have souls, and what's one thing they all have in common in most movies? They don't have pupils, giving them that cold, evil, soulless look.

The eyes show you what a person is thinking. Why do you think poker players wear sunglasses? People could achieve a basic communication just by using their eyes.

• They will not tell you everything, but they will tell you a LOT.

• I don't think they reveal all, but a good deal can be seen through the eyes.

• No, think God. Some things need to be kept secret. :-P

• yes, absolutely.

• i can tell if someone is in pain, if someone is lustful, if someone is worried, anxious whether theyre living in regret which is usually pain, if someone is depressed, or if someone has a loving feeling just by looking at their eyes... eyes tell emotions, body language tells thoughts I think. can also tell if there trying to hide something, or being deceitful

• also facial expressions tell a lot as well... but I try not to judge other people.

• I felt like I could tell when someone was hiding something. How would you describe that look?

• almost like a guilty look but its not like a moapy look like u'd see a child with, almost an intense look...?

• Eyes can tell a lot about a person...

• Hell no.

• I don't know about everything...but lots & lots...

• Have you ever heard of

"Don't judge a book by its cover"?

by the way, there is no such thing as a "soul". I believe some people actually use the words "soul" and "personality" interchangeably.

• no

• I consider them the groin of the head

• Not if theyre a redhead...redheads don't have souls...proven Duke study

• Yes, eyes tell me a lot about a person, if they are hateful, if they've had a hard life, they tell you a great deal about the person. I also noticed that very depressed people have this glazed look in their eyes and not sure as to why that is.

• im pretty sure its because their beaten down, they have no strength in their eyes, but their holding onto something that gives them hope which creates a glazed look... lol might be bull but that's my way of interpreting the glazed look

• its emptiness in their eyes, not hope. A hopeful person's eyes look bright and confident. A depressed person looks and feels like dirt.

• Yes, the glazed look. Me and my friend were talking about a teacher that when I looked into his eyes, I saw pure sadness. I have a strong feeling he was unhappy/depressed.

• Yes.

The meaning of that saying however was originally a religious one, refering to the 7 eyes of god. a being who could peer into your very soul.

• i can tell if they're high or not

• Best answer so far

• Red eyes and the dumb founded look on your face. Haha

• When I notice red eyes that can't stay still, I believe they are stoned.