Is there anything more accurate than a BMI rating for determining your health?

I am overweight, I admit it. But I do manage to exercise daily and eat right. Despite all of that I am still overweight (I have a chronic illness making it hard to lose, but blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar are all fine). But this BMI thing, I am trying to wrap my head around it. I don't see how it can be all that accurate. When I was 150 pounds and about 5'4" I was a small, actually smaller than a small because the small was falling off :S But it still said overweight. How can that be right?

I carry most of my weight in my boobs, butt and thighs. I have a larger frame as well. Also the last time I lost weight, I actually lost muscle before I lost my boobs, so I think I am destined to just be a larger framed person. I was pretty small then too.

I am taller than that now and much heavier, still I think that I would look pretty decent at 175, even though it says that is still overweight :S

I just don't see how it is possible for me to be smaller than 150, I just don't think it would be healthy. When I was 150, I was shorter and even though the BMI calculator said I was overweight, my bones and ribs were sticking out :S

Can anyone explain this?

Most Helpful Guy

• Watch the movie Fathead, it explains how people lose and gain weight, as well as stay healthy and become unhealthy (as far as eating is concerned)

• Thank you! I watched that and it blew my mind! Makes me feel better, I mean there is more to weight loss than just eating less calories than you are burning, it makes sense. Not everyone is chemically the same.

What Guys Said 5

• As jimmy217 said, it's bullsh*t. The one I did anyways. I mean yes I'm overweight but it didn't take nearly enough variables into account. It asked age weight and height. Arnold Schwarzenegger weighed somewhere upwards of 300 pounds in his prime as a body builder and he's 6"2'. Judging by the answer I received he would have been labeled as grossly obese. Was he? I don't think so...

• Its off if you have a lot of muscle.

Waist measure is probably a better indicator of being overweight.

• that bmi is sh*t. You can be ripped as hell and it says your overweight. I weighted 280 in high school because I was really into working out but I wasn't obese. Bmi is sh*t.

• there is one which you doctor can do whicj does body fat hydration lean fat ect

• Can we have pictures?

What Girls Said 2

• Are you an hourglass? Cause you probably hold your weight REALLY well, where as a girl your height and that weight who is a pear shape or apple shape wouldn't.

I was told by a dude on here that your body fat percentage is more accurate, although it seemed like such a hassle to calculate it lol

Number wise, at 5'4, that IS overweight, not obese but overweight.

• Yea I am hourglass :P It's funny because I read all these things saying I should be like 120, but if I was actually that weight I would be majorly underweight :S I know some people with different body types can be smaller, but I just can't :P

• I'm not sure, my legs have always had a lot of muscle because I was a swimmer when I was a child, I don't know how to gauge how much muscle vs fat there is. My calves are all muscle though.

• Well, I mean, if your doctor hasn't said anything about it, then I wouldn't worry too much. I mean, if you're truly concerned,you could ask your doctor and he/she would tell you

• Body fat percentage is a better indicator of obesity. BMI doesn't take muscle into account, so someone could look skinny but actually be overweight if they are buff.