Guys- Swim trunks, boxers, or....speedos?

Hey guys, so I am working on a summer project and could really use your help! I have been approached by a few male friends complaining about men's swim wear. They don't feel comfortable wearing speedos, yet find trunks bulky. They also noted that swim trunks bubble up with air when your are in a hot tub and are just generally a nuisance. I am a fashion design major, but have not really worked with men's swimwear before. So I want to know- what do you wear? What is good or bad about certain styles? What is your favorite brand? Any suggestions for improving the design? Let me know any and everything about your swim wear! Thanks guys!

Most Helpful Guy

• I wear just regular swim-trunks, ones that are sort of looser (meaning they are not pressed against your legs) and almost go down to your knees. I like the striped or plad designed ones. Oh and I would never wear anything tight against my legs or puts my package on display like these link

• Yeah those are pretty short and tight! Would you wear something that comes closer to mid-thigh? As a fashion designer, I focus a lot of proportion. Longer shorts often make men look shorter and stubbier, and I think mid-thigh would elongate the legs. What do you think?

• girls wanna see the bulge though! haha

• Well I'm self conscious cause I don't got much of a bulge to show off so no, I don't want to put in a situation where it is revealed in public.

What Guys Said 15

• I wear a couple, I don't even know what the last one I bought was but it was something along the lines as notable as pair form Pierre Cardin would have been?

The other is a pair of R. L trunks I got for a birthday. (Plain RL red and sort of short, showing a lot of knee and a bit of upper thigh, I guess that was last trendy a couple of years ago)

Speedos/boxers shows bulges. It's fairly comfortable but I'd rather not wear it around family folk.

I prefer trunks! The things you mentioned are very annoying indeed. Here's adding to it:
    The net that is supposed to encase your genitals and cover your butt are neeever the exact right size. My thighs are sort of convex from the scrotum (rounded outwards). This means the net moves up the leg and inbetween the crease of the leg and the scrotum, seriously annoying. I assume this problem is analogous to how womens panties get stuck between the cheeks. I dont remember if there's chafing involved between the thighs but Im guessing if they were a bad pair of trunks that would be the case.

I think that your idea for a project is brilliant and there should definitely be room for improvement here.

• I wear Trunks and I do have the trouble that those guys noted but I don't find them that bad. I have also worn these tight shorts made of nylon and they were restrictive and quickly rode up on my legs to the point of almost being in the speedo rang. also because of a life long battle with obesity that I only started winning this year, I have never worn a speedo and have been asked by a Girlfriend to never do so.

P.S.} I once had a pare of trunks that were made by the "Speedo" company, and would say "We're swimming, I'll bring my Speedo." just to see the looks of disgusted as they formed a mental picture, just to come out in lime green trunks.

• Haha yeah Americans are usually pretty wary of the speedos. I am glad you noted that you have been overweight. A lot of men carry their weight in their stomachs, and it can make wearing swimming trunks difficult I am sure. A lot of girls yoga pants have this cool waistband which is about three inches tall and folds over, so it sits and hugs the waist, not cut into it. Do you think trunks with some sort of special waistband that sits on the waist and doesn't cut into the hips would be marketable?

• i ike speedos personally or board shorts

• I own speedo briefs and they are the best for swimming because of the decreased drag. I also like to wear square cut trunks like the one Daniel Craig wore in Casino Roadie.

I also own a pair of jammers which are skin tight Lycra and go down to advice the knee.

I never wear board shirts, their impractical and feels like I'm pulling a parachute under water. Not practical for swimming IMO.

favorite are briefs though since I have a muscular build it gives me the grats leg movement since I have large thighs.

• In several European countries swimming shorts aren't allowed in public swimming pools: speedos or briefs mandatory.

• I'd love to be able to wear some tighter shorts cut with the leg finishing just below the crotch - think daniel Craig in Casio Royale. Unfortunately my figure(belly) looks daft in those so I wear a shorter trunk, Billabong do some great designs, Fat Face too.

• Yeah I think that style is really sexy on a man! I think there should be a happy medium between that and huge baggy shorts though! That is what I am aiming for!

• I'll have some when you come up with the answer.

• Would never wear speedos.. swim trunks only because that is what is out there... not much of a choice. Boxers a maybe, maybe you should make a pair similar to boxers. or trunks that have speedo like insides...the inside of trunks aren't that good. Combo of insides and drawstring make them blow up like a darn balloon.

• Yeah! No one wants to look like a balloon! I like the idea of interior support like a speedo, that would be more comfortable for you guys right? Would it make it easier to swim or for horseplay, especially in the ocean?

• I prefer just wearing boxers. You're used to them as you wear them during the day anyway, And they don't have the chance to escape from you because they hug your body.

• Okay, so something that is maybe made of a softer fabric and which is tighter rather than looser would be better? Thanks so much for your feedback!

• Yeah write me a jingle! I need to come up with a name for them too!

• haha I thought "speedotrunk" and that made "spunk" but I doubt you want to call them that lol. I'm serious though I could do the jingle for you, cause I'm an up-and-coming musician.

• There are really good racing suits called "jammers" basically spandex bicycle short, very comfortable, and designable.

• trunks

• I currently wear 2 different styles. When I go to the beach to tan, I wear small swim trunks. I really hate getting tan lines from wearing board shorts or things of that sort right above the knee. When I go to family oriented pool parties. I do wear swim shorts. They have little eyelets to help prevent bubble and things like that.

• I wear speedos or square cuts, they fit tighter and don't bubble up with air - that sucks- I work out and have well toned legs butt & abs - I don't mind showin the fitted look of my unlined swim suits, its the only ones for me, when I travel to other countrys most guys wear em like that, the US is the only ones so shy about showin their bodys at the beach,

• Swimtrunks, but I haven't been for a long time. I hate them because there is no stylish male swimwear

• So what kind of patterns or colors would appeal to you? Are there other features you would find helpful, like pockets or maybe a better type of waistband?

• Yeah I can totally understand that would be frustrating! So you are thinking patterns which are a little more refined and low key?

• Yeah, and a lot shorter/tighter, but nothing like speedos, that'd be really good, if you make ones like that I'd buy them straight away

• jammers, they work well, cover up enough like swim trucks and stick to your body like a speedo

• I'm a straight, married, metrosexual American male (59yo, 5'8", 150) I run 4 days/wk and lift weights for 90 min. 3 days/wk. I wear Speedo style swimsuits (various brands). They are practical for (you guessed it) swimming. They are comfortable, dry fast, and leave a good tan line. The knock against them as unsightly (esp. on fat hairy guys) or gay is bogus. It's the obesity that's unsightly not the swimsuit. A fat stomach is not fun see in Speedos OR boardshorts. Firm, flat, fit abs and lean muscular legs look hot in Speedos AND boardshorts. Plenty of gay AND straight guys like them. Some women/girls don't like to see the outline of a guy's package, but some dig it. I say to each his/her own, look or look away, live and let live.

Encourage your self-conscious male friends to give the Speedos a try. Encourage your female friends to also be supportive. Perhaps you could design some Speedo style suits and have your guy friends wear them and survey reactions from the people at the beach or pool.

Speedos are quite common in other countries and nobody notices much one way or the other. In the past they were also acceptable here in the U.S. If/when they become popular again in America this will be a non-issue. Until then it will take some self-confidence or even courage for guys to follow their own common sense.

What Girls Said 1

• I like it when guys wear board shorts. Of course, I can't really speak as to the comfort of them or anything...