Why do some guys say they prefer girls without make-up?

Why do some guys say they prefer girls without make-up when they don’t even notice the girls that don’t wear any?

They like going for the hot, pretty ones when behind under all that make-up is just one of those girls that they don’t even mind looking at.

How do guys even know if girls aren't wearing make-up? Guys may think a girl isn't wearing make-up because it looks natural, but how do you know she's not one of those who you wouldn't even take a second glance at if she didn't have any?

I'm not trying to make it a big deal...I'm just really curious about it.

Most Helpful Guy

• Guys do like girls that wear no makeup. However, there's a certain issue that goes along with it.

Girls who wear makeup are doing so to make themselves physically look better (at least, they think). Typically, girls who put that kind of effort into their looks also put in effort where it matters, like wearing clothes that fit well, proper diet and exercise, taking care of their skin, etc. Those things make her look good. Many girls who don't wear makeup (regularly) also don't take care of other things. Loose shirts and sweats, overweight, and bad skin are all not appealing to most.

However, if you get a girl who takes care of herself without wearing makeup, then she's golden. Girls like that get hit on all the time, assuming everything else about them is fine.

What Guys Said 12

• I actually do prefer when girls don't wear make up. None at all. My girl never wears it, and I was actually unsure whether or not she wore it for quite a long time. I couldn't tell the difference! I think my main issue is when girls take ridiculously long to get ready due to their make up obsession, or they use too much and look fake. A bit is okay, but I'm perfectly happy to see girls wearing none at all.

• The ones that hide some skin flaws like foundation and are completely non-visible are neat. No problem with that.

However... I personally dislike anything that messes with the eyes. The eye conveys emotional states and creates the vibe of the person. Now if you artifically mess with that, it will just feel wrong in about 98% of the time.

So most people don't look better with makeup. Even if they feel like it.

And my axiom is: "only those look attractive with makeup who were exceptionally attractive without it".

By the way, they are approached because they seem more available.

And also the other reason below that said because it's a sign that they "take care of themselves".

• It's a lot clearer than you might think. I can EASILY tell the difference between a girl with no makeup and one with even a little foundation.

• It's not so much that guys prefer girls without make-up. The problem is that some (many?) girls overdo it to the point where they start looking rather fake or just plain silly. Make-up is okay as long as its presence is not (trivially) noticeable.

• So what you're saying is you do like girls who wear make-up rather than the ones who don't?

• I actually think girls look better without all that make-up covering their natural beauty.

• The ones I like the best are the ones I can not tell if they are wearing make-up or not..regardless of if they are or not

• Well really now , I am one of the guys that say that prefer girls without makeup , its not that I don't like it , but being not perfect does not bother me for a girl , you are really making a big deal out of it , the way you talk about it , is like we tend to like good looking girls that without makeup look like beasts . :)

• If you mean "natural-looking" even with the make-up on, there's still make up. Why can't you just not confuse girls and go out and say that you like girls who wear make-up more than those who don't? Why do guys say one thing and mean another?

• Well , you got to admit that you haven't met and heard and got to know every last guys around the globe , so you should not get the wrong idea and confuse what some guys that you know say or mean as a fact for all guys . ;)

• In actuality, guys prefer not to know that girls are wearing makeup. Which is to say, we like it when girls wear just enough to look good, but without it being noticeable.

• That makes sense, but if you were in a serious relationship, you'd find out eventually. If you didn't like what you see wouldn't that change everything?

• No middle ground? Now that makes no sense. She's either wearing make-up or she's not. Even if she looks like she's not wearing any, it's still there...So all in all, what you're saying is that guys DO like girls who wear make-up more than those who don't. Right?

• Exactly, no middle ground. Few guys like to think that a girl is wearing makeup, and not too many like what a girl looks like without makeup. Pick your poison.

• Some girls wear way too much makeup. They are beautiful without it.

• Guys don't know what they want.Women with make up look more confident. Make up brings intelligence and confidence to the looks. Hillbillies don't wear make up...but wearing too much is as bad as none.

• Sometimes when a boy says that he means that you look like a clown. He's trying to tell you to tone it down without it being specifically about you.

• That's not what I'm asking though...What I'm asking is why do they say they prefer girls without make-up, but they go for the girls who do wear it. If they like the ones who look natural with make-up on, wouldn't it be easier to just say, "Yes, I like girls with make-up on rather than the ones who don't"?

• lol this is why boys make blanket statements, in order to avoid debate.

• Guys don't like women with cake-up. A little make-up is fine, but if you have to scrape it off with a putty knife, we probably don't like it.

Girls wear make-up for other girls, not guys.

What Girls Said 2

• Most guys who say this mean they like girls who don't look like they're wearing make-up i.e they wear natural looking make-up, enough to get rid of any dramatic flaws, and enhance the good things about them - without being over the top.

A girl with loads of make-up on can come across to most as high maintenance.

A girl with absolutely no make up on can come across as a girl not caring about her appearance.

Strike a happy medium between the two and that's most guys' real preference.

• this is something I've learned on this site. Guys like girls who look pretty. They don't like girls who look super plain and they don't like girls who look like a made up whore. Sometimes I don't think guys even realize that some girls are wearing some make up (light shadow/mascara/alittle blush and some light lipstick) they want a girl who looks "natural" that's what they mean by "no make up"...that doesn't mean that if a girl is all done up that they won't look at her or find her body attractive to look at but if you're talking girlfriend material they don't want someone who looks like like a stage performer they want a 'real' girl and real girls yes wear makeup but not overdone so the guys think it looks natural on her. thus they like "no makeup"