Why are people so interested in black people's hair?

It's rude and annoying. I have real hair and it gets on my nerves when people want to touch it damn it or if I have a friend who wears a weave, and people just ask nosey questions like "oh what kind of weave is it?" and "how do they do it?" mind your own damn business! It's rude and annoying

Why are people so damn interested in what's going on with black girl hair?

wow almost 300 views and this question hasn't even been up for a month!

Most Helpful Guy

• Some people are just clueless, and not in a "just kinda dumb and innocent" but... really dumb and or insulting.

I buzzed my hair one summer in high school right before I started taking Swim Class; I decided to keep the buzz cut for a while. The school year starts, and all the girls in my ESL class AND my special ed class (I was a teacher's assistant for both), started always pawing at my hair. I'm like... "really, you've never seen extremely short hair before?" They didn't even ask; just all of a sudden, hands on my head.

I probably wouldn't have minded it as much if gorgeous girls were asking to run their fingers through my hair... but no.

What Guys Said 9

• its because we can do so much with is lol. and sometimes its just that its different from what theyre used to. because b4 I used to have waves and they were swimmin :P everyone wanted to touch my hair and I was thinking the same thing. "why do they always ask if they could touch it?" but its because they admire it and its something that theyre not used to in their everyday life. that's the way I see it

• If they really want to know, they should watch "good hair" link it's a really good documentary.

• I don't know anyone is uber interested in black peoples hair, it's just hair no one cares! Maybe the people you live around are just strange

• I've never concerned myself with "black people hair", nor have ANYONE I've been around went on a "black people hair" tangent. This is clearly a biased question, as you have a certain perception because of who you hang out with, while other people (like me) don't understand why the hell you would ask such a silly question.

• well clearly there's a reason why I asked the question and I'm obviously not the only black female who has dealt with this. just because you may have never concerned yourself with black people hair and you don't know anyone who has doesn't mean no one ever on this Earth does

• some people are just curious your the one that is rude and annoying

• are you always this much of a pain in the ass when you answer questions?

• That's because you act like an ass. You're a rude jerk with the way you express your opinon. You'd think at your age, you would have developed the interpersonal skills to speak your mind without making yourself look like an arrogant prick that people don't want to listen to.

It is lame because it's over dramatic and uncalled for. It just makes you look over sensitive like you can dish it but you can't take it. I tell you that you look like an argumentitive prick with poor social skills and

• you say "Go kill yourself" lol you're being an embarassment to what a man is supposed to be right now.

• because it's so afro'-E :)

• DAMN RIGHT! Preach it sista!

F***ing hate my afro hair. Can't do anything with it but cut it.

• Awww, maybe you just need to find a different hair product. I used to think I couldn't do anything with my afro textured hair either then I started using products specifically for afro textured hair. Now my hair is like coily looking. You really just have to find out what works for you! :) Also remember that when washing your hair, cold water opens up the hair folicle which is good for the growth of your hair. The key with afro textured hair is moisture. Pineapple oil is great for our hair if...

• First of all I'm a man. My hair does not even fall down and 2 I had my hair relaxed before. Too much time and chemicals to have something other people just wake up with. I liek to wash my hair daily not let it gross up over the week.

• Ok? lol and your point of telling me is...? you probably just have a different hair texture from mine. Not ever single black person has the same hair texture. Some black people have a straight up afro with no curl pattern what so ever, other blacks have coily spirally looking curls such as myself, some blacks have looser curls. Don't act like every single other black person in the world is going to have the same hair that you have and have the same hair problems you struggle with.

• I'm not interested in "black people hair" and neither is anyone I know. And I don't think their interest in your hair has anything to do with you being black. And have you never liked someone's hairstyle and asked how they did it? I thought girls did that.

• -_____- is like how black people I noe wonder about mexican hair and they touch and they freak out well same with us whites and mexican wonder about black people hair why is diffrent how it feels so yea ain't nothing special about your hair

• Why would Black people freak out from Mexican or White hair it's the same most of the time...and I don't think she is saying our hair is special, just unique amongst most people.

• you know which hair I find amazing, Chinese/Japanese. long, thick, black and shiny... my weave right there :L

• Mizzy95, I guess lol I mean no offense, but that hair isn't amazing to me. I've seen that hair my entire life. there's nothing about it that stands out to me.

What Girls Said 17

• Preach it! I have natural hair, then I put single braids in. Everyone's like :O is that you're real hair... lets see, it was a black Afro yesterday which was shorter and know it's back length and red and straight, what do you think Einstein... and then there's the, do you take it out at night, when you bath or go swimming. I'm there with a billion micro braids on my head like, is that a serious question -_-

• People are curious about pretty hair no matter what nationality they are.

• I think every one is curious.

If it's different from you or what you have, you may be a bit interested...

You just have to look on the good side.

If people say something ignorant or offensive , just share your knowledge with them and help them to broaden their horizons. .

If that doesn't work, bush it off.

Alot people compliment my hair or want to touch it because it's differerent from theirs or they admire it.

I am usually fine with it as long as they are being respectful.

People are just curious creatures!

• haha brush* I meant. :)

• i love how I said the same thing but shorter and call out QA and I got the opposite reaction as you XD

• I know exactly what your talking about... ignore the people above. I'm black and people always touch my hair... its so annoying they always say "your hair is so poofy" or "i always wanted to touch a black persons hair" like literally wtf? to me hair is hair and why they feel the need to run their dirty little fingers through my hair and without permission, is beyond me...

• I am one of those who is interested. I never ask though. I figure it would be rude and annoying. In my case I wonder because I am naturally inquisitive. I was watching The Braxton Family Values (I LOVE that show), and when I heard they were wearing wigs, I was like, WHAAAA! It looks amazing and real. Another thing is I can't understand what a weave is I tried googling it and I still don't get it. Another thing is, why don't they get extensions?

It's like this I don't ask you why you get your period. I know why, but I don't understand why African American women's hair have so many issues. Just the way I don't understand when my sister tells me she is having a bad hair day. I have straight hair. I don't get offended when people ask me why that's the only I keep other than a ponytail. I tell them, because my hair won't curll and I don't have the patience to try and create something.

For me I'm really curious and want to know, but I never ask.

• Weaves are extensions. They come in many different textures and lengths. You can glue them on or sew them in.

• Or you could get a clip it one from Sally's

• Clip ins? Interesting something I should "Google" I guess. lol

• link

Some people are just touchy/feely. They don't mean any harm. Nor understand the struggles we have had with our hair.

Been there. Probably will more in the future cause I'm going to wear my natural texture soon.

It used to bother me more years ago. More the questions than the touching, except one lady at church kept doing it every time she saw me and I said, "will you stop petting me!" Lmao... that made her stop tho.

I wear a faux fur coat, and alomst every day someone has to stroke it. That's okay, but this one lady ran her hand down the front. Awkward!

So I guess ya just have to take it with a grain of salt. They know not what they do...

• Nice video. I think in the future if people ask to touch my hair I'll say, " that will be five dollars!" With a smile :-)

• lol! good idea!

• I have asked black females how they get certain hair styles etc. because I was curious. I love how creative they are with their hair. TBH, some of the styles I have seen, I could never pull off with my hair. I never thought it would p*ss someone off just to ask ,but I guess from now on I'll use google to find out.

• I knew as soon as I saw this question you were gonna have a lot of negative answers...people ask because they want to know. It can get annoying as hell but it's also good to tell people these things so some of the aren't as ignorant as most of the people (guys) answering here. I tell my friends when they ask most of the time it's girls who do and I ignore the strangers because it is rude.

I'm not saying we have awesome or special hair but it's different from almost every other race on earth don't worry about the dumb people who say rude things about it we all know they are ignorant to common sense.

Not sure if I helped at all but I thought after reading some of the answers someone should say something more positive :)

• I don't know why you're getting so upset. Let them be curious of our hair. Yea, it's annoying, but I always tell my mom or girlfriends and we have a good laugh.

Most don't mean to be rude...they just wanna know "how we do it." lol I calmly let them know that my hair is in fact naturally curly [ I'm natural, by the way ] and let them touch it. Now for the people who insist that you're wearing a weave, let them know that not every black woman wears a weave.

• I'm not upset. it's just annoying.

• Because it's unfamiliar?

What about a female who changes her fake hair like she changes her clothes? I worked with someone like that, and I never said anything to her but always noticed. Do you think that's different? Since she's calling so much attention to it? Just curious..

• I got this a lot when I was in middle school. =( Most of the kids weren't mean about it, just curious. I never took serious offense to it. lol Embrace it though. Just think, no other group of humans can ever have hair like ours. It makes us different and special. Don't listen or take people seriously. We've always been put down because of something that we can't help. Good hair in any case is hair that is healthy and doesn't break, not straight all the time. Most of the beauty in the world is modeled after one standard. Most people who ask just want to become less ignorant about it, so educate the masses. Ignorace is only cured by education. =)

• Resorting to anger is not going to help. Some people are just curious, it's natural. You can't really be angry if they're asking you questions about something they're not familiar with. As long as it's not condescending or blatantly rude then don't let it bother you. Simply respond in a calm manner and if you don't want to talk about it then just say you don't think it's important enough to discuss.

• I'm not angry. it's just annoying.

• A lot of people use gel who are not black. Gel can be used for many hairstyles. Many, many women wear weaves and extensions and are not black. Many black girls I know have long, thick hair. If some people think that only black women use these types of products and only have one type of look, then they clearly do not know much about beauty consumerism and have not seen many black women. It's really not worth arguing with people over.

• I'm aware of that.

• Well...it is annoying...but you can't blame people...many people are confused with some of the things we do to our hair. There are too many processes and changes...some people go through and do on a daily basis for styling it.

• I think people are just curious, though I can see how it could get really annoying to have it happen to you all of the time. I wouldn't want everyone just wanting to touch my head just because they are facinated lol. I agree with watching that "Good Hair" documentary, it tells you a lot if you were curious. If there's anything I really want to know I usually google it, because I wouldn't want to offend anyone. But you know an average person isn't that considerate...

• Lmao ya I'm kinda scared to wear my hair out naturally caz I heard people touch it without asking esp white ppl!

• just duck and dodge! then be like "excuse me please do not just reach your hand out to touch my hair. that's a bit rude."

• I'm not. I think its gross and it smells bad

• awww didn't even have the balls to say it openly without hiding under anonymous :) and before you even say "Well you're anonymous too!" that's because I didn't want people being biased with their answers because they were worried what I would think of them, not because I'm being a cowardly female who will only say something like that with a computer and anonymous name to hide behind. lol, how pathetic

• someone is butthurt

• lol no, not at all. someone *you* seems to be more impressed by yourself than anyone else ever will be :)

• i will slap the sh*t out of someone who puts their hands in my head. you just don't do that! its rude, I'm not your pet so don't just stick your hand in my head. I don't do that to other people so don't do it to me. I hate it.

idk why people are so interested, its usually either the people who don't know very many black people and are curious because we're so different, or if its other black girls they think its cute and wanna know who did it. I enjoy talking hair with other girls I just don't like for people to be rude about it