Girls who straighten their hair...

There is a noticeable difference between girls who straighten their hair and girls who have naturally straight hair...

1) their hair smells burnt

2)their hair is dry and brittle

3)their hair breaks off by their bangs, the sides of their head and/or above their ears

4) their hair just doesn't lay right/natural.

Guys do you notice the difference/can you tell a girl's hair is not naturally straight? what are some other observations about straighten hair?

(I used to straighten my hair but quit so my hair could get healthy, now I look at old pics and think "omg.. what was I thinking? my hair looked horrible!")

What are your opinions on straighten hair? obviously every now and then is fine, but everyday reaalllly takes a toll..

Most Helpful Guy

• yea, their hair smells like burnt fish!

What Guys Said 1

• there is difference..lol Natural and that... chemicles..

What Girls Said 13

• 1)My hair never smelled burnt

2)Hair wasn't dry and brittle

3)I didn't really have bangs per say, especially in the last 2 years

4)My hair laid perfectly fine

I take very good care of my hair; I eat healthy, take vitamins, deep condition weekly, am picky about shampoo/conditioner and use natural oils for my hair every single night and my hair looks perfectly fine

You shouldn't generalize. Just cause your hair is a hot mess when straightened doesn't mean all of ours is.

And guys don't notice unless the girl overall looks a hot mess or if the hair doesn't suit the girl.

• My hair is very healthy, and I have found that the higher quality the straightener and the better the technique, the better looking the hair. If your using a cheap, crappy, hair straightener it won't make your hair look good and if your straightening giant sections for way to long, it won't look good either. I used to have really long hair (all the way to my butt!) and I had a bad straightener and didn't know how to use it and I wrecked my hair, and it was awful. Now I have shorter hair (it grew out after I cut it short) and I have a really nice and expensive salon quality straightener and I got my hair stylist to teach me how to use it, now my hair looks great! its shiny and soft and looks amazing. all through high school I always straightened or blew my hair dry. I remember for the first times ever (in senior year) I didn't have time, and I let my hair go natural (I have thick wavy hair) and tons of people asked me if I had styled it that way. So, I guess everyone though I had straight hair! even my boyfriend at the time!

• can you talk more about your technique? I have heard a little bit about this. Some guy straightened my hair at the mall and it looked amazing so I bought the straightener, come to find out it is a low quality straightener and those guys make their money by using their straightening technique to make the straightener seem better than it is. I'm guessing it has to do with angling and the direction you lay the hair.. something like that, thank you for your answer by the way!:)

• You have to angle the straightener in line with shape of you face, and do quick swipes through very small sections of hair, usually pinning parts of the hair up to be able to get the bottom layers! it can take a long time, but its definitely worth it!

• thank you, I will try this:)

• no offense... but you might have not taken good care of your hair..

I have naturally wavy/curly hair, and I straighten it almost every day.

my hair smells burnt for a second after I'm done, but I always get rid of the smell afterward with product.

My hair actually looks super healthy, and it really is super healthy,

...my hair doesn't break off...

• you probably just didn't take good care of it,my hair is naturally straight and even I couldn't tell the difference between my hair and my friends who straighten their hair

• Maybe it's your hair straightener. I have long hair that's almost down to my waist and I straighten my hair a LOT and it still looks really healthy. My hair never smells burnt (if yours does, you should check to see that your straightener has ceramic plates) and my hair hardly gets dry and brittle because I use leave in moisturiser and heat protecting serum. You should invest in a better quality flat iron - I use a GHD and it's amazing :)

• I've been wanting to switch to a GHD...have you ever used a CHI?(If so, which is better?)

• no I haven't used CHI.. I'm not familar with that brand sorry. My older straighteners were brands like Remmington which wasn't really that great.. my hair didn't stay straight for longer than half a day. I love my GHD, I put waves into my hair 3 days ago.. and it's still wavey today!

• It's called,heat protectant? duh. ;)

• If you take really good care of your hair there won't always be those tell tale signs. I straighten my hair and there is no burnt smell, it's soft and healthy and I have no breakage. Now in the past before I had the right tools and knew what to do, yeah it looked like that but I still got guys. I don't think men are that nitpicky as long as you generally look good.

• What kind of straighter did you have ? Invest in a nice one I have a CHI and I absolutely love it! My hair is naturally straight but I love to straighten it still I don't know why , Maybe it makes me feel more feminine.

• that's SO not true. my hair is naturally curly. I straighten it everyday. it does NOT smell burnt, it is NOT dry and brittle. it's very soft and shiny. it lays perfectly fine. the hair near my bangs doesn't break off. you need to learn how to take care of your hair, clearly. don't generalize. there's a little invention called HEAT PROTECTANT... use it.

• Someone people just don't know how to take care of their hair.

• get off your high horse. there is no difference if you do it right

• That's not true at all so I don't know what kind of hair straightener you use. My hair isn't dry/brittle and it does not smell burnt, typically if it does then the heat setting is too high..no one ever knows that I straighten my hair

• I think you are generalizing. The girls who look like what you described use cheap, not fully ceramic straightners and don't have heat protectant. Personally, I use a GHD (top of the line) and people ask my if my hair is naturally straight all the time when really, I have nasty, kinky curls. I don't straighten it into a pin-straight style though, I curve the iron when I get to the ends so it has a bit of body and volume. My hair is very healthy because I only wash it 3-4 times a week and I give it masks and it is very shiny and bouncy- I iron it EVERYDAY. Straightners are only the devil to your hair if you don't use protectant and if you don't spoil your hair rotten like I do. Try not to generalize honey- some people who don't have perfect hair naturally like you NEED to iron our hair or it looks bad. I'm one of those people.

• I think she just wants guys to reaffirm her generalizations so she can feel "above" those who do straighten their hair

• lol! this is great, I also have those "kinky curls" and none of the problems above when I straighten my hair

• @SexiMexi69 Right? Lol Again, I think she's trying to put herself on a pedestal above all other girls.

"I used to straighten my hair but quit so my hair could get healthy, now I look at old pics and think "omg.. what was I thinking? my hair looked horrible!"

Well, she obviously doesn't know how to use a straightner, because I use one everyday and guys are constantly touching and smelling my hair telling me how awesome it is.