Swimming vs running- which is better for making a good body?

Most Helpful Guy

• Swimming.

But you have to swim a lot to get that build. You also have to use different types of strokes and make sure you're in good form. Also, most professional swimmers train regularly at the gym and sometimes run too. My little bro was a swimmer and his schedule was basically swim, gym and jogging 5-6 days a week.

The best way to get a great bod is to combine weight training (and don't be afraid to lift heavy once you work up to it), cardio (swimming/running/etc) and to eat right. Eat healthy, clean food, lots of protein, healthy carbs and healthy fats.

Phelps looks the way he does because he's an Olympic athlete and trains his ass off. You're looking at years of rigorous training.

• Yes I'm a swimmer and I do at least 2 hours of core, 3 hours of weight lifting, and 5 hours of run/walk a week in adition to the 10+ hours of swimming

What Girls Said 15

• I do both except during the winter because the weather doesn't allow me to run outdoors. Right now I swim 6 times a week and I've seen a way bigger improvement in my shape than when I was running regularly. I find it harder to "upgrade" your running workout because the soreness doesn't go away as fast. Having a cramp, a sore ankle or weak knees is likely to slow you down and keep you from pushing yourself further more in your workout. I find that this problem doesn't really occur in swimming. Unless I eat right before I swim, I never have cramps when I swim. I think swimming is a more complete exercice than running because its low injury risk allows you to work out hard and often at any level. Besides, I always find that I can get back to running really easily whenever I'm swimming on a day to day basis.

If you're asking yourself which exercice would be better to shape yourself up, I'd strongly suggest swimming at first and adding some running after a while once you're in a good shape. I'll save you that horrendous phase when you're running out of breath and sore everywhere all the time. Swimming won't tone your legs much at first though, I'll tell you that. It's going to develop your shoulders and upper body a lot more because swimming is all about pulling your body forward and in and out of the water. Plus, a lot of swimmers don't have a good kick or barely kick when swimming freestyle - even more if you're pretty thin or rather light. If you're heavy, you'll have to kick more because you'll tend to sink otherwise. So if your goal is to get strong legs (thighs, calves), the best is running and doing a lot of kick. To tone all of your upper body, swimming is way better.

• swimming uses more muscles so it is better than running. and being a guy, I think your more concerned about upper body workouts, such as swimming.

• Swimming. You use every muscle in your body to swim.

• Both will work if you do it often, but it depends on which part of the body you want to work out more.

Swimming is better for your shoulders and arms.

Running is better for your legs and butt.

Or you can do both. Hahaha, that's one hell of a workout! ;)

• Swimming.

You work more muscles, and there is significantly less impact on your joints.

• I say swimming because I hate running! (: lol

• swimming,

i hate running,

• Swimming

• Running I would've thought :D

• I think swimming.

• the only one who's saying running :)

• swimming is way better! you use your whole body and it takes pressure off your joints so you're not as likely to get injured, and you can continue doing it when you're old. It keeps you healthy

• swimming

• Swimming ofcourse =)

• I say swimming but I'm biased because I'm a swimmer. but swimmers have a great build

What Guys Said 6

• I know everyone says swimming, but I'm not so sure. I swam everyday one summer and didn't notice any weight loss or better body. I think if you are going to do swimming you really need to push yourself and swim for long periods of time.

• I just went for a run and it feels pretty good, but I think I get more of a workout from swimming - plus swimming gets the upper body, which is what I want to build more.

• Swimming as it uses the whole of your body, it's also much much better on your joints. Downside of swimming is unless you are near a beach you are going to be swimming in heavily chlorinated water

• swimming...check out Michael Phelps. That dude eats like a million calories a day and still looks like a tooth pick.

• swimming works more muscles

• If you swim properly in 2-3 strokes, it is definitely a more complete exercise.