For anyone that knows about hair

I currently have blonde and red highlights but they have faded a lot and my roots (lights brown) are coming in. so I want to dye my hair all one color dark red but I'm doing it myself and I'm afraid it will come out bad. anyone know if it will work or not?

Most Helpful Girl

• I always do my own hair, even my own highlights. I'll be going to beauty school soon too. I also worked with licensed cosmetologists for a while at a Beauty Supply store. It's best to NOT do it yourself, simply because it's harder when you don't know which products to use, and a lot of people don't mix them right. But if you do do your hair yourself, the best thing to do is to call a Salon and ask what brand of hair dye and developer is best. I worked at Sally Beauty Supply (I'm not sure of you have one around) and I use L'oreal Excellence cream and the cream developer made by them. I also agree.if you have blonde highlights, go a dark auburn (don't go purplish because it WILL turn our more purple than you want. OTC hair dye is not good enough to not make it turn purple). Your best bet is to call your local salon, or the salon you normally go to and ask them. Although they will probably tell you that its not good to do it yourself, but it's possible. Also, depending on the length and thickness of your hair, get TWO bottles of hair dye and a large bottle of developer if your hair is past your shoulders, or is thick. And try NOT to use the stuff in stores. If you were getting your hair professionally done before, then the boxed hair dyes won't last very long and fade too quickly. Start going to a beauty supply store, and in about 3-4 dyes then you can start using the boxed stuff. Although, once again, I suggest you do it professionally. I can dye my own hair AND do my own highlights but I choose to have someone else do it because they can see the spots they've missed. It is cheaper though but not always better.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 3

• I've had lots of hair dying experience so I'm pretty sure I know something about hair color: from experience I say don't go that red since you have blonde highlights. It'll just make it very bright which won't look good [been there done that.] Instead if you absolutely want some reddish color then go for auburn [dark red] or a purplish color. Though from your pictures it looks like blonde highlights look best on you, though I know it's expensive to keep it and/or you might be bored of them.

• God please don't! Just go to a professional

doing it by yourself leads to big problems

• i would never recommend trying to dye hair at home, especially not such a drastic color change, best to leave it to the professionals. if everyone was meant to do it at home then we wouldn't have hair salons.