Should I dress down more often?

He's a very masculine guy. I said something about wearing skirts, and he said something like "You do wear a lot of skirts (not that that's a bad thing)". I've been wondering lately if he's not into the whole dress/skirt/feminine thing, and this made me a little more concerned. I know it's a stupid question, but should I dress down for him more often? I like wearing skirts for myself and don't dress up for him, but does this sound like he wants me more casual?

Most Helpful Girl

• Just keep wearing what you like to wear. Why change yourself because of some guy. I used to do that all the time, but I got tired of playing 'keep up'. It really is tiring, think about it, you are constantly wondering if he will leave you or not like you as much if you don't go with what he feels you should do. I don't even think the comment was knocking your current wardrobe. I think he was trying to compliment you or just make an observation. Most girls I know wear sweatpants, sweaters and pj's all day long. Maybe it was refreshing for him to see someone who dresses up.

I would just keep wearing what you want. If you want to try dressing down a bit, that's okay too. But do it because you want to. I know that dressing nice everyday does take a long time. So it can't hurt to take a day off, but that doesn't mean you have to be uber casual in jammies. You could just integrate some more casual pieces into your wardrobe :)

• The first thing I thought when I read this post was, "But this guy's different. He's worth changing for."

Then I realized how idiotic that sounded. So thank you. Even though I wanted people just to interpret what he was saying to me and not preach this stuff (which I "know" but only half-way follow) for some reason what you wrote pretty much got through to me.

• I'm glad to hear that I got through to you. I know that when we think someone is really special, we are willing to change things about ourselves to suit their lives. But really you have to realize that all you have in the end is yourself. So why sacrifice that? There is someone out there who will like you for who you are, so why waste time on someone who is only thinking about themselves?

What Guys Said 2

• I wouldn't worry about it. If he's worth going out with, he'll want you to dress the way you like to.

• I think it really depends on the type of dress/skirt you are wearing.

• Meaning?

• That's a different argument for a different time, but I disagree.

• Message me so we can discuss it then...

What Girls Said 4

• If it wouldn't bother you to change into slacks sometimes, then why not wear slacks sometimes? If you like skirts/dresses, wear skirts and dresses. I don't see how/why it really matters. Like you said you are who you are whether you're wear a dress or not so why are you so worried about what you're wearing and whether or not he will like you because of what you wear?

• Just because I think it can be a little obnoxious sometimes. I wear a dress whenever I can, and sometimes I'll go meet a friend for coffee and she'll be like, "You dressed up for this?!" I don't want him to get annoyed or think I'm high-maintenance, because I'm not. I enjoy dresses, but it wouldn't kill me to put pants on either.

Basically, I just want to know where he's coming from. No, I won't let him change my life.

• Just wearing a dress isn't what I would consider dressed up or obnoxious. If you want to wear shorts/jeans more often, then do so. I don't see why it has anything to do with your boyfriend or your friends. Just a dress and sandals isn't dressed up. It just shows that you care about how you present yourself, and there isn't anything wrong with that.

• Nahhhh, why would you do that? Stop over analyzing.

The phrase "You do wear a lot of skirts." is just an observation.

Go ahead and wear your cute skirts! (: <3

• Thanks! Just wondering. I wouldn't stop wearing my skirts COMPLETELY even if he didn't like it.

• Don't change who you are for him, just be yourself!

• I was just about to say that.

• what about being fun? I'm so lost!? lol

• See the above answer, please.

• I wouldn't change the way you dress just for him. If you like wearing dresses and skirts keep doing it! I'm sure he likes you just the way you are anyway.