How did you learn to walk in heels?

My mom never really made me walk in them so I just stuck to flats and regular shoes, but now that I'm older I'd really like to learn.

I see girls that aren't good at it at all and I don't want to be like that. Then I see girls who are pros and I'm discouraged haha.

My cousin said her mom used to make her and her sisters walk around the house in them when they were little so how did you learn?

Most Helpful Girl

• i started wearing stilletos in high school for piano concerts. a day or two before, I'd walk around the house in them, going up the stairs, switching from wooden floors to carpeting. it's really about practice. now, I wear heels pretty much 4 days out of the week and I'm comfortable walking in them and running in them if need be. however, gotta say, my knees are starting to hurt a bit- wearing heels extensively can cause a sh*tload of damage to your legs.

• Yeah I know people who had major knee and hip problems because of them but I'd still like to try them for parties and stuff. I just don't wanna look stupid walking in them

• just practice, and you'll be fine :)

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 11

• i started with wedges first. and then I slowly made my way to low-heeled shoes...then to high-heeled shoes. now all my heels are 4inches or more :D it's not that difficult actually, on the first day that I switched to heels I was already running for a cab on the road hahaha. just remember to keep you rback straight while you walk. a lot of girls not experienced with heels tend to hunch a little and open their legs wide while walking..kinda like a crab.

• I've sprained my ankles multiple times (not due to heels) so I took my time learning how to walk in heels. I started with short ones and would wear them around the the house so I could get used to doing things in them, then I'd wear them out, once I got comfortable with the little ones, I started wearing taller heels around the house, and just repeated the earlier process of getting comfortable in them.

• Maybe that's why its hard for me, I've also sprained my ankles during sports so I will definitely try and practice more. Thank you!

• I learned by myself when I was around 5 or 6. I wear my mom's high heeled shoes and just walk around pretending like a supermodel. Now I can actually run on them without tripping or falling over. Not that I use them for running, lol, but sometimes when I'm late for something and I'm wearing high heels I had to run. But it hurts doing that. xD

• I just put them on, walked around, tripped, fell, and then tried again :P

• well my mom never let me wear really high heels, like three or inches. But I practiced with my two and a halfs, because my cousin sucked and walked like a squirrel in them, knees bent :) practice practice practice. use your kitchen or hallway like a runway and extend with your heal toe heal toe. hope it all works out and you become a pro. also hehe go to kohls and try on the five inch ones, you'll have lots of privacy if you don't make a lot of noise :) I did it

• Haha I went to DSW and tried some on. They mad my legs look GOOOOOD ha ha but I couldn't walk well

• well I can walk in them,hell I can run in them-but I look retarded. this video helped me link but I still look like I got shot in the foot and fell off my ostrich yet somehow managed to put on heels when I walk in them

• I would love to be able to walk in shoes like these: link

I've tried in shoe stores and stuff when I do go shopping for shoes, but I'm such a klutz, it's awful, lol.

However, I have a pair of shoes similar to these and I can walk fine in them: link

As long as the heel is a bit wider, then I won't be falling over myself trying to get from point A to point B.

Like everyone else has said though, it just takes practice. I should probably start practicing, too. :P

• Haha, I'm determined to go to prom this year so I need to learn NOW so I'll be a pro :)

• Haha, good plan. I went to my high school prom in these: link

After about maybe 1 hour, they were off and under the table and I was walking around barefoot (except for my stockings. :P).

• Aww haha, maybe I'll just wear TOMS or something

• Its just practice. (:

• You just have to practice. I don't wear them out that often, so sometimes when I'm hanging out around the house I'll put them on while I clean or cook to get some practice in.

• That's a good idea. I'm trying to work up to a higher heel. right now I'm just at like a 2 inch wedge but they're so slippery! I need to put something on the bottom haha

• I have no idea how to walk in heels. When I wear them it's because they make me look hot and I try to stay still as much as possible. lol. If you find a good answer though PLZ tell me. :)

• I Remember my first pair to my junior miss pageant...

I walked on the kitten heel...like minny mouse...then eventually...to my middle graduation...i got my first pair of pumps...and I just channeled my inner naomi campbell lol..and fell and tripped..but now its been 6 years wearing them...i can walk...and even run in them...but I prefer sling-backs they are more comfy.