Why do girls not like being called cute?

I've seen girls on this site say things like "I would rather be hot than cute" or "I hate being called cute".

Are girls who are cute not getting asked out as much as they want? Are they jealous of girls that are beautiful instead of cute?

Note: There is definitely a difference between being 'cute' and being 'hot' or 'beautiful' - and I think girls who are 'cute' are more attractive (hence my confusion).

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd rather be Cute and Cuddily...than being a Hot hit it and quit it girl to be honest.

I mean I like the thought of being cute in different ways then just my physical aspects.

What Girls Said 25

• Me and one of my best friend talk about this all the time cause we both get called cute all the time and we both watch guys go after and go home with the hot girls all the time. I know a couple girls who are hot who are really nice but I know more who are hot and b*tchy. We're both nice, outgoing, we love going out and having a good time, neither of us overact about things, and yet we both find ourselves painfully single.

You know what I would give to be that girl that guys look at and just drool over? Those are the hot girls, those are the girls that guys want. They may look at cute girls and go, "Oh she's really sweet and cute...but look at that girl over there," which really does me no good at all. Guys say they want a nice cute girl, but they'll always go for the hot girl. Maybe eventually when they're older and have had their fun they'll settle down with the cute girl but then where does that leave me and my friend for the next 5-10 years? Waiting around and getting more and more frustrated going, "Why can't be hot instead of cute?"

• I don't mind being called cute. For me, I actually prefer it. When a guy calls me hot (call me old-fashioned) I find it kind of insulting. I feel like it is purely a sexual remark in reference to physical appearance. Beautiful or gorgeous goes a lot further with me. As far as being called cute, it has more to do with personality and the little quirks that come with different people. For instance, my boyfriend always tells me that my laugh is "super cute." I've also had random people come up to me and tell me that I look cute or adorable lol which always makes me smile. I'm 19 years old and I embrace my cuteness lol :p

• any time guy says hot I correct them with "cute" for some reason when a guy says hot in my mind I feel like he is kind of out to hook up or has those intentions, I like beautiful or cute, leave the hot for times when I wear something to go out and say you look hot, basically use it rarely.

• That may be what you think, but the thing is, we all have our own ideas for different meanings of words. I mean, to me, the word cute is something only used to describe small furry animals and babies. I could never envision a grown human being as being what I, in my mind, would call "cute." It's all open to interpretation, you see.

• Yeah, I realized that earlier. What most people call cute, I call adorable. What a lot of people call pretty, I call cute.

When Arsenal25 hears "hot" she thinks "sleezy".

• Yesss, when I get called hot I get the sleezy vibe from the guy, it doesn't sound so cute, gorgeous is my favorite

• Can't talk for other, but I think it has to do with age. For me Hot has more to do with the body part and way they dress, sexual attraction. Cute has more to do with face, expressions and way they act. For my part being called cute mean that a guy like my personality, and I like it better than just being hot. Doesn't mean that I don't like to be sexy sometimes ;). Some young women will not like being called cute, cause they think that it interfere with their hotness... Well it doesn't. They just don't know yet... so, next time you see a Cutie, tell her she's a hot cutie or a cute hottie? lol pssst if she's high heel and stocking, just use hot..lol

• I like being called cute. I'm called cute often as well, mostly due to my uncontrolable blush at the most minor compliment.

I've been called both and would much perfer "cute" over "hot". cute reflects personality, hot is more physical.

• I love being called cute, its way better than being called hot.

• I get the cute stuff all the time...I don't mind, but deep down I'd rather hear beautiful.

I'm not a puppy or a baby. :-P (Kidding...it's ok)

• I totally agree with your last statement. To me, the word cute is a word that can only be used to describe babies and small furry animals. I could never envision an adult human being as being what I, in my mind, would regard as "cute."

• I love it when my boyfriend calls me cute or adorable ^^

• I like the word cute.

In my mind, a cute guy tops a hot guy.

Anyway, strangers generally call me pretty...no one calls me cute (even though I identify myself as cute) or hot so I really don't know how I'll react.

But a compliment is a compliment... :)

• Yeah, like b_luved said, I normally equate cute with being like a little kid or a younger sister, or something, ya know?

• I was going to say .. "What are you talking about? I love being called cute! Hot or Sexy, just means you like my ass!" lol but I see all the other girls have already told you that :)

• I'd ike to be called cute. I'd be happy that it isn't insulting. Plus, I think cute is much more personal and genuine than "hot" or "sexy". It is a lot closer to "beautiful" on the spectrum

• I like it if people call me cute.

• Cute makes me think of a little girl. I feel like a guy's little sister when he calls me cute.

• Cute like as in quirky or playful is a compliment to me, but cute as in childish is offensive. When i hear hot i think theyre only looking at my body, and automatically i distaste that. Beautiful is more like head to toe, inside and out beauty. It makes me feel like a woman who is more than just hot looks.

• Really? :O I like being called cute :) I suppose its because to most girls ''hot'' sounds better and they think cute is a worse form of that so they feel a bit annoyed they aren't hot :D

• I don't appreciate being called cute because I feel that it is demeaning and slightly condescending. Regardless of the intentions behind it, it seems to reduce my worth down to my way of thinking or my appearance. It feels as though I am not being taken seriously at all. Overall it is a slightly objectifying term to give a person, and can be hurtful if not used in the right context or not clarified. As an adult woman, I want to be taken just as seriously as everyone else.

• My boyfriend used to call me hot and sexy and I hated it

I personally prefer cute, because the I know he's looking at my behavior and face not my boobs and butt

I hate being seen as a sexual object :/

• Because in todays society women are seen as sexual objects , so if a girl/woman is called "cute" she isn't exactly achieving her sexual status . so if you call a girl cute , she thinks yeah sure he likes my attitude or personality and I'm not hideous looking BUT he does not see me as a sexual being .

Sorry I'm late , veryy old question

• personally, I would rather be called cute.

• I have a baby face as you can see in my pic so I hate me called cute. I want to be sexy. being called beautiful gorgeous and stunning is the best though. Being cute to me feels not as attractive as other words

• I have a baby, chubby face (born with big chubby pincheable cheeks xD)

I love being called cute (or beautiful) because I know he's talking about me not my junk :P

• I HATE being called cute. I am 20 and have this cute, little, childish face+tiny and nearly flat body that make me look like a 12 years old girl if I wear something too girlish or cute.
    I want to look attractive, not cute and childish.

• Cute is attractive. I use "pretty", "cute", and "beautiful" somewhat interchangably.

• I would rather be called cute because that means the guy likes me for who I am not my body cuz there's this guys who likes me and my friend but I am the cute one and she is the hot one and he talks to me in real convos more not like late night texting 😂

• hot girls get more attention. if you prefer cute girls you are probably in the minority since cute girls do not get the most attention, compliments and praise for guys. when you look at men's magazines they have HOT girls in them, not cute girls. being called cute is kind of like a consolation prize, its 1 step above average/ugly and doesn't really mean that much. probably means your're attractive but not someone he drools over. I think being called cute is nearly condescending

• i rather be beautiful than cute

cute is like a little puppy dog

• Things that are cute: puppies, kittens, Lindsay Czarniak, Keira Knightley, etc.

See? People can be cute too.

Lindsay Czarniak:

link

Keira Knightley:

link

• I don't know the other chick, but Keira Knightly is hot and sexy, not cute.

What Guys Said 3

• My guess is because it seems to imply that she's good looking, but doesn't look fun. Like she's the kind of girl you have something serious with, but have fun and use up the hot girls first. Just a connotation though.

• Because when a woman calls a man cute, she has no intention of screwing him.

• I've heard women refer to men that they find attractive as cute.

• lol okay, noted.

• Lol not applicable to boyfriends though :P

• It's not all women. I say this because I have know a bunch of girls who would like to be described as cute and love the attention they get with it.

Some may not like it as cute = naive.

I have caught a girl cute (not in the same sense as above) before to someone who I thought was adorable and felt interested in.

Depends on the subject matter and how you interpret it.

• Typo: "caught" should be "called"