Why the heck is so hard for black people and other darker skinned races to find makeup?

I mean really? Are white girls the only race of women in this country? I go into a make up store and there are 30 shades of make up for a white girl, not 1 for darker complected people. NOT 1! Black people and Hispanics make up the second largest group. Blacks have been here since the whites got here, could you please make us a shade of make up. HELLO? Can I just 4 shades please , at least? I know you *(makeup companies) are busy coming up with more shades for white chicks, but can you take a break and remember the OTHER women in this country please?

Most Helpful Girl

• well part of the reason is that white is the dominant race in this country so makeup companies are going to cater to them first. also white girls usually wear more makeup than black girls do. well we wear it too but not as much as white girls do tho. we don't wear foundations/powders as much but maybe its because they don't make it in our color? they just don't think about black folks like that

you have to REALLY look. also try brands like iman, fashion fair and black opal. queen latifah's covergirl queen collection was good but I heard they discontinued it? if they did imma be pissed

i remember I finally found my exact foundation shade from clinique of all brands. mac isn't as good as its hyped up to be because they think all black women are an NC50 or something..yeah I feel your frustration. that's why I am so diligent about eating fruits/veggies and drinking water so my skin can look OK naturally because I just can't depend on makeup and I refuse to buy 3 foundations and mix them all together. I'm a medium brown with an unusual undertone so its hard for me to find my match

• at least where I live (canada) they don't have iman, fashion fair, black opal (never heard of those two). and I live iin a city , so they should have something aha. its reaally frusterating.

What Guys Said 1

• well you see, the heads of major corporations like that are mostly white. And they are marketing towards the fact that white girls have this misconception that they aren't naturally beautiful without makeup on. Which isn't true btw.

What Girls Said 11

• I'm biracial, mixed with both Hispanic and Black and I find it very easy to buy makeup, although, because I'm mixed, I have both red and yellow undertones, I often have to mix crap -_-

But I get what you're saying, but drugstore brands tend to target all demographics so they offer enough shades for blacks and Hispanics.

It's harder to find shades from Chanel and YSL.

Not to toot our own horn and I know white people will thumb me down for this because heaven forbid minorities be complimented, but Hispanics and blacks often don't need it:) Especially black women with deep skin like Alek Wek or Sofia Vergara :)

• :P that's what I said.

• I was just frustrated because I just got a breakout and I need some concealer . I spent 3 hours going from store to store with no shades of concealer darker than jessica alba's complexion.

• Um, I've been buying makeup since I was 16 and well, I have NEVER seen that kind of problem. Seriously where do you live and what store are you going to? Just go to walmart they have all colors all the time.

• Hmm, I think you just have to find the right brands.

Even foundations made for white complexions don't quite match, because the tone of your face is actually more than one color.

I'm like a cappachino color, and my foundation works pretty decent when I use it. My friend is a little darker and you can't tell she even has hers on.

• Because you won't turn orange if you use the wrong shades. And most black woman I have met are very beautiful and don't wear foundation or powder. They even say they don't need it because there skin is flawless. All they wear is lipgloss and maybe mascara :)

• Trust me it's not just darker skin. I'm white but the thing is I'm very fair. Yet not translucent. They kind of make a jump from paper white to a somewhat tanned shade. I agree though makeup companies need to start making a much wider array of shades. Not just the tanning booth bronze shade.

• i knoww!, like in canada I swear there are less options to chose from when you are in a drugstore. when I'm in the states and you go into target/a drugstore they have so many shades for dark complexion.

• hmm you just have to look around in order to find the make up that suits your shade. I don't have any problems with finding makeup that suits my skin tone.

• i use mac stuff...and there is a brand called iman too..

i wear shades nw43 in mac foudation and nc50 too...

in the prolongwear concealer I wear nw40...

Thats pretty dark...i am still able to find makeup though...at my drugstores...they have the revlon colorstay in caramel...thats what I use...its pretty dark...-_-

• I think there's make up with tons of pigments in them so they don't just blend into darker skin.

• Im a white girl but I know where I'm from/live, in stores they have a makeup line called Iman. They make absolutely beautiful shades of makeup for women of color. I love love their nailpolish line.

• What makes it white girl make up?

• I am talking about foundation!

• She's talking about the shades offered

• Ohhhh I thought you meant like eye shadow xD I was confused sorry.