My garage band is dropping me as their front guy (lead singer)?

long story short the reason they are dropping is because I don't have long hair, (im black so you understand why this is the case) anyway they say it will mess up with the "uniformity" of the band. I do have a powerful voice and I actually know that, I can actually hit higher notes than their previous lead singer and alternate my voice pitch (used to sing in a choir) they still say I can still be a backup vocalist since I can't play any instruments. rock music is my passion but is there any reason for to stay with this band when they are pushing me aside for this kind of reason ?

Most Helpful Girl

• That's really stupid. What so they want to be like every other garage band out there. I know tonnes of people in bands, and when they started out, that is the mistake so many of them make. They try to emulate their favorite bands. Only problem is, those bands already exist! No originality. I think they made a big mistake getting rid of you, try to find some other guys who have bands and see if they could use an awesome vocalist. Sounds like you've got some talent. If your ex band members can't appreciate that, then that's too bad for them.

You may just make it some day and they will be shaking their heads in shame. All over hair too, that is quite silly :P Hair isn't everything! Talent is important too! Besides, you don't want to look like every other band out there. Stand out, if you can't have your hair long, that's okay. Find a different way to stand out, be it with clothing, your vocals or other things. But sounds to me like it was probably a good idea for them to dump you, because they didn't appreciate your talent.

What Girls Said 7

• dude drop them! and get another band. that's pretty low and I wouldn't want to even be around people who would ditch me for such a shallow reason let alone enhance their sorry butts

• Are you sure that that's why they're dropping you? Maybe you just suck...and they don't know how to tell you this. I've had to let go MILLIONS of guitarists (and a few drummers) because they simply sucked (or where total a**holes and we couldn't take that any more), and all of my band members thought the best thing to do was to tell them lies like: you just don't have the style we're looking for, you just don't have the musical taste we're looking for, you might be better suited for this band (pawn them off to another band). . . ---and that was AFTER they'd play with us for couple months to half a year... Men are so gutless sometimes... Haha

I felt bad, but always told them the truth why they were sacked.

• DREEEEEEADS!

• They're stupid and irrational.

You have a great voice, therefore you should be the lead singer.

They can't discriminate because you don't have long hair!

They'll suck without you, that's for sure...unless they can sing.

• What a bunch BS! Dropping you because you don't have long hair! This isn't the 80s, men aren't supposed to have long hair. Whatever you do, don't let them keep using your garage, what a bunch of idiots.

• They're LAAAME

• man f*** them. they are probably just jealous of you and don't want to be outshined by "that black guy". don't let them diss you like that and still be backup singer, you wouldn't have any pride if you did. they are jealous of you,if you have a great voice and the only reason they're dropping you is for a petty reason, just know it's not REALLY because you don't have long hair..its something else, they are just using your hair as the PC answer to cover up the real reason. whatever that is

What Guys Said 3

• Hell no, ditch those guys and find another band. It's about the music not about looking a certain way. Singers are the hardest people to find for a band, I bet you can get 5 different bands that want you by the end of this week. If they think you are so easy to replace, let them try and see how far they get.

• my worst worry is I don't have any connections, we only played at a few house parties and now that they got an offer to play at a huge gig I'm getting dropped. the worst part is the songs they are playing with the new lead singer, I wrote all of them.

• hey the craiglist thingy actually worked, I actually found a band within my city, I send them my demo mp3 and they said they will take me without a doubt. thanks bro

• Told you dude, singers and bass players are the most in demand. As soon as a good one says they are looking everybody jumps to get them. I'd like to hear some of your singing think you can send me a link or something. I'm a drummer so I'm always down for talking and hearing other musicians.

• No, there's nothing holding you there; you should move on.

Back when I originally moved to Australia, I joined a garage band as well, as a drummer. We played at 1 or 2 parties and then, out of the blue, they dropped me like a hot potato. I think it was more to do with the fact that I was getting more attention than the guitarists and the singer rather than my inability to play the music.

But I moved on. Sometimes things don't turn out the way you want them to, but you make new opportunities and just keep trucking on!

I joined several other bands and started to make a name for myself; now I've made a pretty large network of musicians so that I can always find a drumming gig or recording session whenever I feel like it.

So, the bottom line is to dust yourself off and move on; join another band and start networking. Don't give up.

• This is so true! I know a lot of people who are in bands and I have never even been in a band myself. It's just people around me who have been in umpteen amount of bands and know each other. I eventually meet these people at gigs and so on. So its definitely a great networking opportunity! They will be playing with the same old boring people, and you will meet so many new interesting folks! Keep pluggin on! :)

• Exactly; well said.

• Seriously these guys are what's called posers, it shouldn't matter if you have long hair, short hair or no hair at all as long as you can do what you are there for there should be no problem, I say leave them and go elsewhere, you'll find way better stuff!