Would a place not hire someone cause of their hair?

I have blue tips on my bangs and a few blue streaks through my hair. I already have a part time job and am looking for another. Would a place not hire me even if I had a great resume? Just cause of my hair?

Most Helpful Girl

• There is that possibility that you may be overlooked because of your hair. I know that is unfair, but that is how the working world works, unfortunately. Any business has the right to decide not to hire you. They may have another candidate who they feel suits their 'image' then they may choose to hire another candidate instead. I personally don't agree with it, it should be the person best suited for the job. And if you have a great resume, that should be the focus. But businesses are very concerned with how they are viewed, so that is why you may face some hurdles. And if they hire you, you become a representative of their brand. And Branding is extremely important to companies now a days.

If you have no problem with changing your hair, then that might be an option for you. Some places will hire you regardless, so it isn't impossible to find a job. It just makes it harder.

What Guys Said 3

• Depends on the job. As an extreme example, even if I walked in with a $50,000 suit on and experience with Armani, I probably couldn't get a job in a high-end men's shop if I had a mohawk; it would intimidate the customers and make them feel uncomfortable.

That said, most places, as long as it's tasteful, don't have a problem.

• If you have to question if a job might not hire because of a certain look you have, the best thing to do is change your look. When employers look at people they judge and they will remember and if you walk in with blue hair to a job interview, for a job in the professional world, other than working fast food, you will stand out but not in a good way.

• I walked into my job looking like Eminem...blonde hair and short...my boss once told me she had a girl walk in with rainbow colored hair..and they were fine with it..all you got to do is ask...there is nothing wrong with asking..

What Girls Said 8

• It depends on the places you're applying for.

Some places won't care as honestly - it wouldn't really matter to their business/store. And other places, it's not really an appropriate image for them, they'll probably not hire you.

So it depends on where you're looking to work.

• I work at a restaurant and my manager wouldn't hire someone with unnatural hair :(

• bad manager :(

• A friend of mine has neon green hair and is the head chef at a Nice restaurant lol

• No it's because the people that come to the restaurant are really conservative. Lots of elderly and families coming in. But my managers are actually really cool, we make fun of each other all shift long. Lots of little pranks too

• It depends on where you're looking for a job. Every retail store, coffee shop, and restaurant I frequent has at least one person with colored hair.

If you're applying at corporate places, then it might become an issue.

• It's possible. They shouldn't do that but some places will.

• Yeah its not only the resume the looks count a lot in every job some less them others but yeah a place would not híre you because you have bluehair or too chubby, bad dressed, beign ugly and so on sad but true...

• Yeah I mean if you're applying at places where the job description has you dealing with the public alot...

• yes. appearance is really important to some companies

• You are judged by your appearance. I know guys with dreads that can't get jobs. So yes, if you look all punk rock there are gonna be places that will overlook you for someone with a more professional appearance. Honestly I don't have sympathy for people like that, if you need a job then look like you want one and take the colors out of your hair until you are hired and know its ok