Do Americans take their shoes off when they go to someone's house?

I know this sounds really random. But in Canada, when you go to someone's house, you take your shoes off as soon as you get inside. And my dad told me that he went to Salt Lake City with a few of his friends when he was in his 20s, and they went to some guy's house that they met there. Anyways, when they got inside him and his friends all started taking off their shoes, and the guy was basically like WTF.

I don't mean taking off your shoes outside of the house either by the way. I mean you walk in, and take your shoes off right beside the door. I find it weird that so many of you are saying you don't, seeing as the cultures in Canada and the US are usually the same.

Most Helpful Girl

• We take our shoes off here.

But I see in American t.v. shows that they don't, they walk onto the carpet and everything.

weird!

• hey thanks for BA!

btw I was talkin' about this with my mum and she says it's a European thing to take off your shoes when you come inside the house, as not to bring the germs from outside inside. (makes sense doesn't it!?!)

What Girls Said 12

• The same applies in most Asian households.

There is an increasing trend to take shoes off when entering each others' homes, mostly out of respect for the hostess, who presumably took pains to maintain a clean home. Quite a few people insist on it, not for cultural reasons, but for hygienic reasons. The exception, as far as I have seen, was a person who had special orthodics and a person with a prosthetic limb. (In both of those cases, the shoes had to stay on, but the guests tried to show respect for the hostess by remaining in the part of the living room closest to the main entrance so as not to track dirt, etc. all over the immaculate and shiny floor.

At my place, I have a little bin by the entrance -- right below the "Don't drink and drive" fishbowl for the car keys...

• Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. It really depends. If I see that there are a bunch of shoes by the door and others have taken off their shoes I will usually do so. If there aren't any shoes by the door and others are still wearing shoes, then I don't generally worry about it. I wear shoes around my own house a lot, though, especially once I've already got them on.

• I always take my shoes off and put them beside the door. It's just the usual routine for me. I like it to be clean in my house so I don't wear whatever dirt and grime is on the shoes into my friend's houses. I find that ill mannered. But I suppose there are places where they do wear shoes into their houses...

• haha no but I do that when I go to my spanish friends house other than that we usually drag the mud on in :)

• I noticed that when I was in Canada! I was so shocked lol. Most houses here don't make you at least not here in AZ because we don't get snow or rain much to cause dirty shoes. I take my shoes off at my house because it's more comfortable but not at others unless they do or ask.

• Only if the shoes I'm wearing get all grungy and I don't want to get the carpet messy or stained. I also have shoes that are strictly for outdoor use (like for doing yardwork or gardening). Those come off at the back door, before I re-enter the house.

If I visit somebody else's house, I'll take my shoes off if that is what they would like me to do. Or if I notice a bunch of shoes by the door I'll take mine off also.

• Some people ask that you do, and quite a few don't. If I'm not asked to take them off, then it depends on the situation whether I will or not.

• i do take off mine unless the people of that particular house tell me other wise.

• No, I walk in with my shoes. It would seem weird to take them off at the door. Normally I end up taking my shoes off when I sit down somewhere. Not unless I'm soaking wet from rain or muddy or something.

• I do...common courtesy

• i think it varies among cultures, in my family and relatives cribs we always have shoes off but I'm sure there other Americans out there who keep shoes on but then again if you live in that house you might as well get comfy and take it off anyways since you'll be there all day and night long...

• i have heard Asians do this, and so do lot of african Americans not all but a good amount probably half and half. I don't though, just wipe your feet on the doormats

What Guys Said 10

• Weird, I thought everybody takes their shoes off in the house. I didn't know some people DID'NT do that. Wearing shoes inside feels so weird to me. It's so much comfy-er to just be in your socks.

• i do, but I can't speak for everyone tho.

• i usually do but that's because I'm half chinese and I used to know a lot of Asian people and that's what most of them do. at other people's house's they don't really care either way

• lol its proper to take your shoes off before entering a house

or when you get in the house where shoes can be placed...

its just out of respect. but then again there are some that don't mind wearing shoes in the house

• I take my shoes off unless I am told not to.

• It depends. If I'm just there for a very short time (like, not enough to bother sitting down), then I'll leave them on. If I'm actually planning to be there for any amount of time, then I'll take them off at the door.

• If they ask me to, sure.

• I take off my shoes in my house and any other friend's house I go to. Unless it's a party then I keep them on. You tend to get wet socks quickly or someone will use your shoe to barf in.

• It's polite to, yes.

• It's not as common here as elsewhere.

We DO however take off our shoes before getting onto an airplane.