Tattoos.. your opinion?

Yup.. that's pretty much my question, what do you think of tattoos? I'm thinking of getting one.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think most of them are a mistake. That isn't to say that I'm anti-tattoo, I just think that most people get them for stupid reasons and they'll inevitably regret them. Ask yourself how you'll feel about it in 10 years. How will your future wife feel about it? What will your kids thing? Is it something that you could have if you were in the military? Would the tattoo's content influence voters if you ran for public office? What will it look like in 60 years, when your skin is old and wrinkly? What are the chances that it will be meaningful to lifelong you? -- Or is it just meaningful to 17-year-old "omg dudebro this is awesome" you?

Essentially, what does it say, how much do you really care about that statement and how willing are you to let that single statement speak for you for the rest of your life? These are questions I ask myself when I see tramp stamps or barbed wire. Back in High School, a girl I vaguely knew existed got a "Slippery when wet." tattoo on her lower abdomen. Picture that in the Old Folks Home. It'll drive the geezers crazy. Imagine what she'll tell her inevitable horde of trailer trash babies when they're at the beach. But do you think she is considering life that far ahead? Hell no. She's just trying to be a rebel by getting a cheap, stereotypical party-girl tattoo.

With that said, I'll likely end up getting tattoos. But they won't be aimed at the public and their intent won't be to conjure up a certain image. They'll be directed at me, for my own benefit. One can only hope that they won't look too shabby when I'm cruising the halls of the retirement home for old harlots with withered skank ink.

• Agreed. I got the urge to get one 9 years prior to actually getting it. I wanted to wait til the right time (which gave it its significance) and I knew I'd always knew when the time came. Sure enough, 9 years later, I hadn't gotten sick of the idea and decided that then was the time to get it. Haven't had any regrets and it's in a place that can be easily concealed so it shouldn't be an issue later on down the road with jobs and such.

What Girls Said 47

• I think that if you were to put significance behind and think the whole thing out, chances of you regretting it are slim. So many people go out and randomly get them without much meaning and then end up getting them covered. I think that if you know you and how you'd react to making such a big decision, it may make it easier to figure out.

But from a general, real world POV, there are still a lot of people out there who discriminate against those who are tattooed (the ones that show). Employers, people on the street, etc. I have a friend with 12 tatts and recently some religious douche approached her on the street and told her she was a disgrace.

But if you're looking to keep the count low, you may not come across as much bs. I think it depends on the tattoo and where you put it. Personally, I'm happy with my single one and sometimes I see some of the stuff people have as tattoos and it's like omg are you serious? How tacky. :/ To each their own though.

Seeing that you're under 18, wait it out a bit. I was 17 when I got the idea to get one, and I was 26 when I finally got it. You may be interested now, but give it a bit. I used to be interested in a belly button piercing, but after a year or two, I got sick of the idea and dropped it. The tatt idea never went away. Just some stuff to consider. Take your time. There's no rush. Find a good artist, take your time on the design, and save up. They aren't cheap. Good tattoos are going to be pricey.

• my mom has in a less than desirable place so now everyone could have one and it wouldn't shock me.

they are really cool depending on what you get, get something cool :)

I like them it's the persons choice

• Ink is a big turnon for me, personally. It's a form a self expression that expresses part of who you are. I dig that. but, I think one should only get a tattoo that means something to them. Don't just get one because you think it will look cool, and don't just go in and pick the first one off the page. If you are going to permanently mark your body, do it with purpose, and a full understanding of why you are doing it.

• I think tattoos are fine as long as a person doesn't have too many, unless they look good with more, such as a sleeve or back piece. As long as a tattoo is meaningful, placed well, an appropriate size and is beautifully done, I have no problem with them on men or women.

• I don't really like them. Cause if you think about it, you're going to be an 80 year old guy with a tattoo. But, if it has a lot of meaning it's okay. I just don't like pointless ones.

• tribal tattoos on guys are super hot, and if you are irish then anything celtic is also good. back tats and side rib tats on guys are super hot too, just don't get a tramp stamp

• I like them and am getting one soon. The only tattoos I don't like are the ones people get that have no meaning, that they got it because it looks cool...

• I couldn't agree more with the meaningless tattoos! haha

• Depends where and of what. Lol

• My guy friend and I just made a "pact" to get tattoos with each other, we are only 16 but if you get one that means something to you deeply then it is all good

• it depends like - you don't want to get one where it could affect your career choice in the near future i.e teacher or doctor or nurse etc. when getting a tattoo the best advice is to chose a design put it up on a wall where you will see it everyday - after six months if you still love it - get it. but as I said be careful where or who you get to do it for you.you don't want to regret getting down the line. I think they are cool on guys and girls , but due to my career choice I doubt I will be able to get on - maybe on my back , but personally I don't want some old tattoo showing on my wedding day lol that's just me .

• It depends on what it is...I really only have a problem when it's like a full sleeve and you can't even tell what the tattoo is of! I think the meaningful ones look the best and the owner won't regret them as much as "just a tattoo"...I've been thinking of getting a Yoda one because he has meaning to me from the Star Wars films.

• Depends on what it is honestly. Nothing is hotter than a meaingful tatoo, like I've seen all kinds of ones that are in memory of a loved one that's passed on. I think those are great. I think tatoos are okay as long as your okay with having it on your body when your old and wrinkly.

• Their cool - very artistic I feel.

I'm getting a dragon on my leg in a couple months :D

• thats gonna look so tacky hahahhaa no offence

• who cares what anyone else thinks. you are getting a tattoo for you, not them. Go with what is right for you. It's your body.

• It's not so much what they think - I was on the fence about it anyway. I want one that represents a very deep and profound aspect of me. The dragon idea was kind of a default one, if I couldn't think of anything :P

• I just got one :)

I love them. They hurt like a bitch but I think they look amazing.

link

This is the one I just got

• oh yeah, the spines a bitch.

• That tattoo is awesome but I would of added, as the days go by the leaves start to fall, my mind gets made up, I must rise above all. The leaves symbolize lost relationships, every time you lose, you gain the opportunity to sart all over again.

• That's not what the leaves symbolize for me

• Personally, I love them, but respect that they aren't for everyone. I think some people just get them for the sake of it, whereas others put a lot of thought and art into theirs. I've been a victim of both categories. I'm a big art fan, so the idea of getting something meaningful and beautiful appeals to me. I also think they can look amazing on other people. Alternatively, they can look atrocious.

• love them. I think they represent your personality and what type of things you're interested in. I wanna get 8-9 :D

• I like them!

• Can be cute, sexy or sweet.

Can also be completely appalling if you're not careful.

• I don't like them.

• Finally a female that doesn't like tattoos! Hugs & Kisses!

• don't understand how people like them. they don't look good.

• I think their good. If you know exactly what you

want, and you know your not going to regret it in the future.

I got my first and only when I was 17.

And I'm pretty sure I won't regret it : )

• they don't appeal to me.

• LOVE tattoos! as long as they have meaning or a story behind them! they are so sexy :) infact, I hve a couple myself! on a guy, super sexy

• I like tattoos that are meaningful, tasteful, well executed, and not too large.

• Love them. Have them.

• I think they're awesome ! I have one uncle who is covered in them and each have a meaning.

Also, my mother has three !

• The best ones are small, meaningful, well-done, and easily hidden.

Ones that are large but quality are cool, but I would be afraid of how it will appear as the person ages, or how they would appear to their future employers

• Don't get anything really big or crazy. I guess you can put it where you want it but personally I would prefer no tattoos on knuckles or lower arms. If you do get one, make sure its one that you won't regret.

• Tatoos are awesome I got a leopard print tattoo on my thigh and one on my back of a zipper, I wouldn't get a tattoo if it was meaningless to you though :) oh and be careful it hurts like a bitch

• Not a big fan of tattoos on me. I like piercings because you can take them off, but if someone else has a tattoo I usually like them.

• Depends on if you can hide it on some occasions, and what it's of. They 're great sometimes.

• More from Girls
    17

What Guys Said 15

• No one should get a tattoo until they are at least well into their 20s. That is when people really start to figure out exactly who they are. You don't want something permanent until your idea of what is cool or impressive is fairly consistent. Imagine what the 12 year old version of you would think is a cool tattoo, it's probably not something you as a 17 year old, would think is great now. Likewise the 22 year old version of you, 5 years from now, may have some very different opinions and style.

• I think they are distracting, which is odd since I have 2 tattoos, both playboy bunnies on each arm. I thought it would be fun to wear them, except for that, well, they are so freakin' permanent. Even though I only put them on once, every morning when I wear a tank there are the bunnies for all to see. I find casual interaction at the stores, malls, restaurants, esp. girls, looking at them or asking about them when I'd rather just be a "regular" guy. I know when I meet/see guys or girls with tattoos my eye immediately checks them out to see what they are... I just get tired of it happening to me sometimes.

• I have one but I'll never get one again. It says OK and it's on my p****. When a woman gets me excited it says Oklahoma!

• As long as you like it yourself go for it.

A lot of people do it though just for the sake of doing it. I personally find it lame when guys have weird ass tribal patterns and women have stars and butterflies that are going to look like teradactyls when they are older...

• really think about what you're getting, make sure its going to be somethig you stil want on you when you're 40

• I've got 5 and will get more. Think about it, make sure you won't change your mind about it. Make sure its something you can be happy with even if you don't feel the same way about it later on.

Mine are Religious/cultural, even though I'm not a very zealous person, I don't intend on changing my culture,even if I did, I'm proud of my heritage.

• I think they're cool as long as its not a stupid tattoo and you get it to express ideas or designs that you are proud of as a person, or for a good reason, like in memory of a best friend who died or something legitimate like that.

I respect creativity and individualism, but it seems like a lot of people just get tattoos to 'fit in'. And last time I checked, conformism does not equate to individualism.

In the end, nobody's opinion matters except your own. I'm personally not into tattoos but I can see the appeal behind them. Just make sure you get something that you'll feel comfortable and proud wearing as a mature adult 20+ years from now.

• They're cool! Even cooler than school!

• I don't mind em

• They're like whatever to me.

• Just remember, moderation. I really want to get one of a transmutation circle on my back, I think it'd be cool.

• I want one but I know it will look like sh*t when I'm older and will probably regret getting it lol

• A few yes overly done No

• If you like, get one. I am not into tattoos.

• Why don't people just carry around a picture of the thing they'd like as a tatt. It's cheaper and it's portable and you can give it to people as well.