Can wearing a shirt all of the time inhibit the growth of chest hair?

I'm 19 and have no chest hair. I noticed that I have more leg hair than my dad, who wears socks pulled up mid-calf all of the time, whereas I wear low socks, and none at all in the house. So I came to the conclusion that having some sort of clothing touching your body can inhibit the growth of hair. I always wear a shirt, even in the house. Is this a possible explanation.

Most Helpful Girl

• Your not the only chest hairless 19 year old. my brother nor any of his friends have it either.

Chest hair usually develops later on in most guys. Some guys get it early, but it's usually later than earlier, or they don't get it at all.

A shirt wouldn't inhibit growth, as the nourishment and cellular structure needed for hair growth thrives in the skin itself.

So yea, you'll probably have to wait a few more years - or draw little spirals on your chest with a sharpie :P

What Girls Said 2

• Well your theory is sort of correct but it's not the reason for your lack of chest hair. You would have to wear pretty tight shirts for that to happen. I have noticed that some guys have ruined or no hair on the back of their calves from their pants rubbing over time.

Personally I think no chest hair is way better than too much.

• makes sense, but that would be if you wear tight shirt, otherwise you wouldn't have hair on your legs from pants either. I always thought cold weather makes hair grow/ get thicker. might want to try it it!

What Guys Said 6

• Ummm... No... It's all genetics bud... I wear shirts all the time, mostly to cover up the amount of chest hair I've got... And don't look toward your dad for comparison, hair genes come from the mother's side of the family, last I was told, which is supposed to explain why some men go bald, though there's no history of balding in their father's side of the family. Though, I think overly-combing your hair would lead to losing it, upsetting the follicles or something like that...

• That's perfectly normal. I was like 21 or 22 before I got any chest hair. I'm 24 now and still don't have that much.

• As people below said, its all genetic bud.

does your dad have much? you'll probably end up somewhere between your dad and you uncles( mothers side)

Its a good thing if you ask me, I have to wear a black t-shirt under any going out shirts I wear...hairy chests aren't that ''sexy'' imo :(

• Absolutely not. I always wear shirts and I have a good amount of chest hair. It is tied to your genes, not what you wear.

• That has nothing to do with you growing chest hair. It grows with age.

• I am usually shirtless most of the time and I have no chest hair either.