Performing stand-up, what should I wear?

This Saturday, I will be making my debut at performing stand-up at a major comedy club in New York City. I'm trying to figure out what kind of outfit I should wear. I'm not sure if I should dress as casually as I normally do, more formal. Somewhere in the middle, etc. What kind of outfit would you suggest I wear for my stand-up debut?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd dress casual but definitely make it look like you care about your appearance. Fix your hair, don't make it look like you just rolled out of bed. Wear cologne, get your shoes polished/cleaned. I suggest not wearing jeans but instead maybe khakis or loose black pants and a button up shirt not tucked in and a nice belt and watch. You don't want to appear formal because people will probably feel like you're a little uptight. You want to look laid back at the same time look like you care about how you look.

What Girls Said 3

• More in the middle. Maybe nice dark jeans with a dark dressy button down and maybe nice black shoes.

• dark jeans and a button down dress shirt

• I'd wear a tux with a bow tie. but that's just me.

What Guys Said 3

• Wear something comfortable. Nothing too hot. Those lights and your nerves will have you sweatin. Just wear what you'd normally wear. Be yourself. Some great comedians looked rough. Mitch Hedberg dressed like a heroin addict...I guess he was though. Sam Kinison wore a damn trench coat and fedora lol. Good luck man. Hey, you should have someone record it and upload it to Funnyordie.com. It's a great showcase for comedians. Knock'em dead. I love stand-up. Wish I could work up the balls to hit an open mic night or something.

• A good pair of dark jeans, a good fitting shirt un-tucked but not chequered, some good shoe's well polished not trainers like so many people go for >.>

As for hair and such, keep it clean and styled but at the same time don't make it look like you've gone overboard on it unless you intend to include that in your routine. A watch & belt with matching straps can work a wonder as well for your look.

Mainly to feel comfortable, look like you'd fit in as a guest at the club but at the same time to make sure you stand out a little more. Other than that, knock'em dead and leave them wanting more ^_^

• I'd just say something casual. It just shows that you're relaxed and having a good time. Good luck,I hope you nail it.