Guys and girls, why do you select the best answers so soon? :(

Sometimes I feel a bit sad (and sometimes frustrated) that I missed answering a question by just a few minutes or under an hour after the question asker selected the best answer, when the question was only asked in less than an hour :(

Not trying to be cocky, but there are many times I could have gotten the best answer or gave very constructive answers to the question. So guys and girls, why do you select your best answers so soon? :/

Most Helpful Guy

• Because people have short attention spans. You might want to make a suggestion to the staff of girls ask guys in relation to having a time limit before someone can select the best answer.

• it'd be difficult for them to impose this time limit though :/ because not everyone is here for long. some only open the account and want an immediate answer. So long as someone respond to them (even if it's just one), they'll already be happy with it and select it as the best answer.

What Guys Said 5

• why do you feel this way?

just because best answer has been chosen doesn't mean there is an even better one...

you should answer the question because you fell you have insight to help with an issue, not because you think you'll be selected as a BA...

• that is kind of annoying in a way, but it's there question so they can do as they please with it. there's always a ton of other questions on here anyway, so I just look around for others when I see that happen.

• I only select my answers half a year after I post them, so that other people have the chance to answer.

• I have found that they will do that when the question asked it googleable or something like that..they wanted a quick fix..so they got a quick best answer...

• I never expect best answer lol

What Girls Said 4

• To be honest It depends on the QA and the answers they receive sometimes a really good answer comes up quickly and you spur of the moment give it the BA. The QA may change their mind about it later but then may feel bad about demoting and promoting someone and then just leave it. Some people don't realize giving out the BA too soon can actually repel people from answering their question as browsers believe its pretty much been summed up already.

I personally wait at least 2 to 3 days till I choose the BA, or until I stop getting a flow of answers. Depends really.

• "missed answering a question"? What stops you from answering a question after the best answer has been chosen? Do you only answer in order to get best answer? Even so, there's always a chance your answer will be selected as the new best answer if it beats the old one.

• Don't assume. Check my comment to Enchanted_x3. It didn't stop me from answering the questions. And no, I do not answer for the sake of getting best answer. I value the quality of the answer more.

• I don't do that.

I select the best answer the day after the posting.

• I select it when I see an answer I'm satisfied with. That could be 2 hours or 2 weeks. It's not about the amount of BA's you have for me. I appreciate feedback & comments on my answers & positive ratings from users agreeing with me more than a Best Answer label.

And QAs are capable of selecting a new BA, which I try to shy away from. But if someone does offer a brilliant answer after I've already selected a BA, I will choose it.

• I see you point. I know it's about feedback, comments, insights, opinions and in fact variety. So even though it makes me slightly frustrated sometimes, I still answer them because I value adding value to this website with my thoughts on situations.

• Exactly. That's a good attitude. :-)