Is wearing a tank top with shorts "slutty"?

So this is what happens in my lovely household. I will get ready for the day wearing what I think is appropriate for SUMMER time. Being the great sister I am, I go and talk to her before I leave and see what she's up too and what her plans are for the day. Her responses normally contain things as "Is that what you are wearing?" or giving me a disgusted look. Normally I just avoid her comments and carry along with my day as normal. Anyways, today I go talk to my sister wearing jean shorts and a plad tank top.(which is really cute I must say.) and she whips out the whole "Amber, why do you always dress like a slut?!" . I said it was summer and hot outside. She told me to dress more like her in (ugly) shirts and (nasty baggy) sweatpants, which I am more than fine wearing around the house on cold winter nights but not all day long in public. Keep in mind I'm fit so I would rather wear something that compliments me other than hide everything I do have. But every time I do so, she judges. So I'm starting to believe what she is saying is actually true? But in my mind I still find it acceptable. Most days I just wear a casual shirt with shorts that may be a little short, but not to the extent of being called a slut for them. Anyways allll feedback is appreciated, maybe you can help improve my style!

Most Helpful Girl

• No, it's not slutty AT ALL. Your sister is weird.

What Guys Said 13

• Yes, it's a little..er, forward...for a 16 year old. Depends on just how short the shorts are, and how smasll the tank top..if it's like a workout gett=up for an aerobics, class, it's fine. but if it;s really eentsy=weentsy and tight, that's a totally different message.

• 1. Is your sister unattractive...she may go out like that because she feels insecure about her own body

2. She is your sister and she is bound to get on your nerves..do not let her get to you..

3. BE YOURSELF! do not let anyone tell you what you are or what to do...let them have their opinion..you have yours and the only one that matters is yours..

For her information though...you can not dress slutty...you can only act slutty...

• Like martyfellow said below, it all depends on the length and how revealing the clothing is.

From the way you describe it, the clothing seems appropriate for the situation.

• Not slutty, just sexy. I love it.

• No... The way you act or carry yourself, or your reputation, define whether you're slutty or not.

• No. As said as long as your boobs and ass aren't hanging out it's fine. Although as a guy I have to say that would be cool. lol

• No I don't think slut when a girl dresses like that. I just think of how comfortable it looks especially in the summer.

• I don't think wearing shorts and a tank top is slutty, you should dress the way you want to dress and if they don't like what your wearing then they should not look. So continue what your wearing and be proud of your beauty!

• I don't think it is slutty at all. Sounds very sexy to me sounds like you are very attractive and your sister is jealous. Girls dress like that in summer if you have the body for it go for it!

• I think that it looks sexy ass long as the girl is in portion to pull it off.

• Only if you consider it so

• It depends on you, age, where you are, the people around, etc. But I think it is not really slutty

• Doesn't sound slutty at all. If you have a great body it may attract some attention but that's not slutty-thats just being attractive.

What Girls Said 9

• if she comes to singapore she'd think we're all sluts then. it's bloody hot & humid throughout the year and girls are always in shorts and tank tops and none of us look slutty. I'd ignore what your sister is saying. it's hard to look slutty in shorts & a tank top unless your boobs are gonna pop out of your tank and/or your buttcheeks are hanging out. well if your sister wants to sweat like a pig under those shirt/sweatpants...then that's her problem. lol.

if I had too much money to spend I'd book her a ticket to come down here to live for at least a week...she wouldn't be able to tolerate the heat here and would probably succumb to shorts & a tank top. that'd probably shut her up hahaha.

• It sounds like she's jealous. You should stop asking her what she thinks. I seen tons of girls wearing tank tops with short and it's totally normal and cute. The only time it would be slutty is if you have a lot of cleavage showing or your butt is sticking out or your shorts either on the top or the bottom. The other reason would be if the clothes were super skin tight. But from your profile pic, it doesn't look like that's how you dress. I think your sister just has issues.

• Summer time is the only time of year you get to wear tank tops and shorts. It's not slutty unless your butt cheeks or boobs are falling out. Otherwise, it's perfectly normal.

Part of me wonders if it's jealousy talking.

• Shorts are fine. Short shorts...not so much. Tank tops are OK too as long as they don't look they're about to come off or something. I don't know if that helps.

• they CAN be- plus everyone's opinion is different. if you're wearing a low cut tank and short shorts, then maybe you could consider wearing a higher cut shirt or longer shorts- all depends on where you're going!

• No it's not, apparently she does not know what slutty is. What you are wearing is modest in today's society. It's not 1836 or something. Hey, maybe she can build herself a time machine and go back to the early 19th century.

• noo girl its not sluty hahah and your pretty so its all good..this is a little silly question that's all I wear tank tops and jean shorts..but not in the winter

• no it's not slutty

• That's not slutty, its hot nobody expects you to wear sweat pants. I wear shorts and tank tops and I'm not a slut and nobody ever called me a slut. If you weren't wearing sweatpants instead of shorts then, I would think your weird. And your fit, you should show off your body a little (NO HOMO) You probably don't workout because you want to stay healthy but I bet so you can look good. I workout too and its hard work so I would like to show people what I've achieved.