Why do young girls look so old nowadays?

my neighbor is 9 years old. she wears abercrombie and fitch, wears heavy makeup, bleaches her hair, and has fake nails. NINE YEARS OLD.

my brother is in middle school and whenever I go to pick him up I notice the girls coming out of the school look like they're my age or older. they're all so tall and made up and it's just crazy.

take this girl for instance

h ttp://ww w.stylebistro.c om/lookbook/Lucy+Hale/3dI9ZlAte7m/Shoes

she's 15 or 16 but looks like she's in her 20s

same for this girl

h ttp://img2.timeinc.n et/people/i/2010/stylewatch/blog/100802/kendall-jenner-500x375.j pg

she's 15!

i swear I'm going to go crazy. guys in my high school are dating middle school girls and my older brother's college friends date high school freshmen.

Most Helpful Guy

• if you pitch it they will buy

propper proporting of public pieces on personal personifications produce pestillance and perplexing results

what you are whittnessing is something I like to call a new life crisis

they see beauty and independence as being that ideal age range and thus try and mimic it (ofcourse marketing and publications also don't help either)

let's face it everyone want to be mature beautiful and taken seriously at a young age insercurities settle in, seriousness or patience isn't taken for what they may say, and

but yah marketing finds strange ways of making it basically mandatory for a person to look a certain way (even if they aren't) buying from aeropostal and The Bay instead of Roots or wallmart, getting name brands that their peers wear, doing there own makeup while the huggies commercial in the background ends with it's famous jingle following a show on mtv (this has just become a tangent and therefore will stop...sorry about that).

and as one guy from one website on one video once put it "this is what I like to call the cult of brand"

but yeah this is how they want to portray themselves, but don't worry the usual fab comes at 5-6 year intervals despite the audience: so what was jarring news today will soon be jarring news for yesteryear, and besides do you remember what you were like when you were their age, if your around my age (19) then you should remember doing similar stuff like that maybe not directly addressed to you like it is now, but yah.

What Guys Said 11

• Because television these days puts dumb influences on kids. When I was 9, all I watched was Nickelodeon and the Disney Channel so I wouldn't have even known (or cared) about these things.

• they are called jail bait and they have been around a lot longer than you think

i think however, the reason why girls are looking a lot older is because of how the media brain washing us into thinking that young girls need to look and dress and wear make up to look older than they really are, its sickening, because girls get concerned with image when they should be worried about bigger things like SCHOOL, MATURITY (in personality, not always in looks), AND DEVELOPING ONESELF.

Also, I think it has to do with the hormones in the foods they put these days, the same crap they use to beef up a cow (no pun intended) can cause an abnormal growth rate in a girl, causing her to develop boobs, ass, and hips that she should only develop with natural progression of age, I think the scientists are all perverts and they know this because they know that America loves jail bait and youthfulness! its a total conspiracy

• oh and the image that women get obsessed with can lead into all sorts of problems like anorexia, and it was also studied by sociologists that girls become CONCERNED about their image by the age of NINE! and that the image of slimness is more oppressing than the Muslim veil itself, quote from a gender comms book

• popular media describes girls that way I guess. and thing is what high schoolers watch is popular media. and junior high kids watch the same stuff.

• Society tells these kids to do so. Namely all those TV shows they watch. Have you seen what's on kid's channels these days? Really all their doing is trying to look like the protagonists.

• Media...and the parents who allow it...

• Darwinism,it's evolution. Lol JK

• I knoow!

I'm 19 and in person people say I look like 17... but girls my age look like they're 25... like wtf lol

• Because that's how they wanna dress?

• Why not?

• whoa I'm 26 and I still get asked for ID for R18 things. My flat mate who is a beauty pagent winner and model so she is brought up with that lifestyle had to buy me alcohol a few times when I forgot my ID and she is only 19 but she looks well into her late twenties.

• When you said young girls I was thinking about girls your age, honestly.

What Girls Said 11

• It's all in the milk. All these hormones they're injecting into cattle and whatnot. Girls these days have bigger boobs and are having earlier periods. They also have bigger attitudes to match them.

• Is there any science behind this?

I never drank milk as a child, and I'm short with small boobs and didn't hit puberty until I was 19. But none of that is true for my family members, who did drink milk.

• yeah I've heard about the horomones being put into cows and stuff, I watched dr drew who talked about it and younger girls are getting their period.

• I read an article stating that the rise of early puberty might have some correlation with the rise of obesity. However, the little girls I've been seeing acting/looking "grown" are not obese. They say hormones have nothing to do with this, which I think isn't completely true.

• Fashion and beauty has always been part of the life of a teenage girl, but now the influence and importance is in hyper speed. It's all about looking hot, desirable, and just like the stars, and if you don't measure up to that then you're teased for it.

• Yeah it is offputting. Its funny seeing how much older these girls look compared to the guys their age, who generally look so much younger.

• it's in the chicken!

• No, it's in the milk !

• it's in the chicken

beef

*milk*

and just about everything else people eat these days

my babies going to come out with size D breast and J Lo.s butt

• I"ve heard something like this before too

• My sister is 14 and she talks to guys my age. It's awkward. She was bleaching her hair for the longest time but recently dyed it back. She tans all day, wears fake padded push up bras, tons of makeup the works.They are all like little barbie dolls.

I was never like that at her age, she has an appearance older than me now.

Thing is she has gotten bad attention from it, guys have spread rumors about things they have done with her.

• yeah I notice them , that's sad children should be innocent and enjoy that part of their lives but parents are the ones who should be blamed

• Stupidity. Pure, simple, raw stupidity and ignorance.

• I don't think it is much any different from when I was growing up actually. It just depends on what the kid really wants in life. I watched MTV when I was 13 too but I didn't dress like a little slut or anything nor did I sleep around but I knew 13 year olds who were dating and sleeping around. My guy's ex slept around at age 14 and was with my guy at age 15 whle he was 17. Kids start having sex and sleeping around whenever they feel like it, and it may be due to older siblings or older kid influences or friends or familiy. WHo knows. I wasn't like that but my sister was and she was promiscuous at age 13 and we are from the exact family but I didn't have my first boyfriend until I was 24 and married him. he had already slept around though ofcourse. Anyways... it's the individual, it's the media and maybe the parents but I think it is more the individual... because my sister and I had the same family, the same church and watched the same TV shows and she was 3 years younger than me and I never told her about sex and condoms and BC pills because I was ignorant about those things that didn't concern me.

• Society is sexualizing children at younger and younger ages. I went school shopping for my little sister the other day and found booty shorts sold in the CHILDREN'S SECTION! But society is not only to blame, it's majority these dumbass parents that are too concerned with being their child's best friend than being an actual parent. Also where is this little girl's father at? What real man in the house is going to stand for his daughter looking like she's grown? Society is going to continue to degress and go to hell in a handbasket unless parents step up and decide it's time to take their families back

• i agree! when I was that age and all the way up to college I always enjoyed just being a kid, having fun playing after school riding my bike watching tv, I didn't care about boys or anything until college. I guess I was a late bloomer but I'm happy I enjoyed my childhood as much I could.

• hmmmm... I didn't look like you when I was 17... you're slightly part of this trend you're mentioning :P

• lol It's kinda true.

• when I'm not dressed up (like in my profile pic) people think I'm 13. when I'm dressed up they think I'm my age. but nobody has told me I looked older.

• I think she looks her age. I would have guessed she was 17 or 18 if I didn't know any better.