Who hates fashion advice and who listens to it?

Don't you hate it when you read what you "should be" wearing for your body shape and you find out that half the clothes in your wardrobe apparently "don't suit you" or make you look "fat/flat chested/unbalanced/too thin blah blah blah"? I've been told to avoid mini skirts and hot pants as well as body con dresses as I'm pear shaped and they make me look unbalanced and show off all my "bad" bits. Who says I have bad thighs just because I'm pear shaped?

Write down your beefs I wanna see how people agree with me :)

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree! According to half the people on those shows and in the magazines I should just cover myself with a garbage bag and hide my body. I don't give a flying squirrel what they say. Sure sometimes I look at pictures to see what people wear, but I don't take that as the only way. Also when they tear up the celebs at the oscars, well that is just plain rude! Just because abercrombieandbitch thinks JLO didn't look great in that dress, doesn't mean its a bad dress for all Pear shaped women. Plus a lot of the stuff they say isn't even true. I have been told so many things to stay away from, but I still try stuff on. Stuff that people say aren't going to look good, sometimes look amazing! You really have to be your own advocate. I have worn skinny jeans whilst being fat and they looked good. Pear shape is actually a good shape to be anyway. Beyonce is a pear shape, and she looks great! Who cares if you are wearing a body con dress if your pear shaped, I think that it would probably look good. So you aren't hourglass, it doesn't matter because every shape is beautiful. I used to be hourglass, but now I am pear. And I personally think I look better now than ever :)

Suzy fashion snob thinks I should avoid all clothes that accent my thighs, I won't listen. What if I think they look good? That should be all that matters. Besides you have to like what you wear, or else you will walk around without confidence!

So go ahead and wear the mini skirts and hot pants! Much of what they say is opinion anyway.

What Guys Said 3

• I generally take it into consideration, since I don't have a fashion bone in my body. I've lately started realizing that I should listen to people when they say I should wear smaller/tighter shirts because it "compliments my figure". The clothes I do wear don't "show me off" and I come off as boring, bland, and really skinny.

• It kills me when people tell me I should gel my hair, and wear abercrombie and fitch or whatever.. Nevermind the fact that I'm a welder and wrench on cars lol

• I think it's a big joke and only sheeple take that crap seriously. Wear what's comfortable and functional.

What Girls Said 8

• I'm influenced by the style I follow. Funny thing is I'll buy an awesome piece somewhere and about a week or two later, a version of it'll show up in a scan of a fashion magazine I follow. I'm lucky that almost all clothing suits me except the stuff meant for tall girls like maxi dresses. I'm 5'0 and am 32-23-33. I especially like wearing skirts or wearing some short shorts with a flowy top. I think fashion advice is a good guideline for different body types but you never know until you try things on. I found my best firing pairs of jeans at a secondhand store after I almost didn't try them on because of the sizing and washes. The washes didn't end up making me look thick and they both fit great. Weird that one was a 00 and the other was a 3. I'll never understand the sizing in the US, not even close to standard

• No, I don't hate it.

Too many girls don't dress for their body types. I'm an hourglass so it's somewhat easier to dress for my body type, but girls with apple and pear shapes have to watch out. Thunder thighs and over the top chest compliment no one.

But, I don't really get told anything and neither do m closest friends(2 who are rulers, the other a pear). The pear shaped one gets complimented often, but she dresses well and doesn't wear anything that makes her lower half look big. One ruler shaped girl is thin, but not in a bad way, the other is average, so almost everything works for her.

• I like reading fashion advice, but I don't always take it. Sometimes the magazines give me good fashion ideas or jumping off points to make cute outfits. However, I won't stop wearing something just because it says it won't suit my body.

I, too, am pear shaped, and I own two body con dresses. According to my boyfriend, they're the two hottest pieces in my wardrobe. And when it comes down to it, I'd rather dress for him than the magazine.

• i listen to them,i just don't do what I'm told if I don't like it. I wear what I want to.

• honestly, I like reading/watching about that stuff because I like different perspectives- but I tend to just go for what I like. if I see something on the hanger that looks cool, I'll try it on and hope it looks good. instinctively, I can look at a top and know that it won't be flattering and whatnot. I'm sure there's a science to it, but I just rely on what I know.

• I'm hourglass so I can't wear loose stuff apparently, but I still do because it's nice for me :)

• Fashion sense is like a sixth sense

• Yup! Because I like to wear what I like to wear. The "fashion trends" thing seems stupid, in my opinion. A bunch of people saying what to wear and not to wear each season. Oh really!