Redheads get a lot of bad press, agree or disagree?

for centuries redheads have been treated badly, from the burning of the redheads labeled as witches to the recent myth we have no souls. The jokes are endless on that one ( don't tell a soul? can I tell a ginger? ) . On top of that we have to deal with the school bullying of being called carrot top to just plain "YOU ARE A FReak!The list is endless when it comes to redheads and the all kinds of behavior shown to them.

So are you a redhead - have you experienced the same thing or is it just me that feels that just because of my natural hair color and curly in texture - I am considered ugly . Your thoughts on this? if you have made this far in reading all that I want to say a big thank you :) I need insight onto why I feel like this :/

Most Helpful Guy

• In school, everybody who is "different" get bullied. Since red hair isn't all that common, redheads are a part of that.

But as you age and go to college, you'll see, that it'll propably get easier.

If you are even somewhat attractive, guys will find you even more attractive because of the red hair. Of course if you aren't attractive at all, the red hair will make things worse.

What Guys Said 7

• Everyone knows redheads are always fair game to be flirted with regardless of the circumstances. In that sense, they are of course witches. But not the sort we burn.

• That's really crazy thanks for posting the link I never realized that only 4% or people have red hair, But now that I think about it, I don't see a whole lot of redheads.

• first of all, your eyes are godam amazing.

and redheads are my favorite.

as for the discrimination, I'm mexican, so I've had it pretty bad haha

i don't think anyone of our age group would really make fun of a redhead and mean it.

• Disagree Red Heads are sexy

• I've never come across a (natural) redhead that wasn't sexy and fiery. Most beautiful women ever!

• i don't think redheads are ugly... I dated one and she was real cute.

• I love love love redheads. I think red pubes are sexy too

What Girls Said 11

• I'm a natural red head and curly texture too :), and for me personally, my red hair has never been an issue, I've always loved it and the only thing I really get called is 'ginger' and that doesn't bother me haha. I get lots of compliments from both boys and girls when it comes to my hair color. I think you should embrace that fact that you have red hair since it's so rare and many people would kill to have it. Statistics show that more women that are dying their hair at home are dying their hair red more then any other color.. enjoy your sexy gingerness <3

• I'm actually a natural redhead with hazel/green eyes. Currently experimenting with golden blond hair, lol. The red never goes away, trust me.

I have never been bullied, name called, laughed at, etc., never. In fact, I find most people love it! Love it! I get more compliments on my hair colour from both men & women. I think you should consider yourself very fortunate for having it.

OK, so you are going to ask me why I coloured it blond, right? Only temp., only temp. My ex husband is with another redhead now, only hers is out of a box. I just needed an immediate change because of that. I'll go back to the natural colour.

One major problem with redheads when they get older though...They all become Ohio State fans! Get it? Red & Gray...I crack myself up! lol

• No matter who you are, or what you look like you will be made fun of for something. I don't care if you are the most beautiful women in the world that women will have something she is insecure about and something people made fun of her for or criticised. I've been called fat my whole life, also I have been picked on for being pale. The people who are making fun of redheads are doing so just because they most likely see nothing else wrong with you/them. Take it as a compliment, there are worse things to be called and made fun of for. I've had ginger friends and have known redheads some are a**holes others are cool and everyone knows the color of your hair has nothing to do with who you are. People just are idiots, ignore them please.

• Haha! I got a kick out of that second link. :)

As for bullying... I do get the whole 'red heads don't have souls' line quite a bit, but that's usually in fun and cannot be taken seriously. However, I've never been bullied for having red hair. I've always been complimented for it. I live in the USA, which doesn't really have that prejudice against redheads as many other countries do... at least against female redheads. And, as you can see from my pic, I have naturally curly, red hair. I've never been called ugly... :/

The witch trials were pretty sad times for redheads. However, if you look at other times in other places, redheads were believed to be fair and innocent. The fairer your hair, the more innocent and attractive you were. There are plenty of paintings of redheaded Virgin Marys and female saints to back that up. Though, I guess Eve is often depicted with red hair too... sad. Lol. But whatever.

• I think that blondes really get more bad press. I have blonde/Red hair and I've never been made fun of for it nor have I ever seen this happen. I'm pretty sure that only happens in really sh*tty t.v shows and movies lol

• well no , I was bullied most of my teen years for it , so it happens

• well apparently the kids you live near are f***asses that watch way too much south park rofl

• I'm a redhead and I've never heard that myth. In middle school my favorite teacher would call me Annie(you know,from the movie). If she wasn't my favorite teacher I would've been annoyed.

What I REALLY hate is being called a redhead. I know I am,still hate it though.

Great post though!:)

• thanks - its great to hear another story , thanks for answering :)

• Almost every type of skin colour or hair colour or body shape gets bad press, not just redheads.

• damn I didn't know people treated redheads like that. I always thought yall had the prettiest hair color out of blond, brunettes and redheads because its unique and original and exotic. its interesting because from what you've said, it seems like redheads in the white community are treated like very dark skinned people in the black community. that's wrong and it should stop. what does hair have to do with attractiveness? if you had straight blond hair you'd be the same person but with different hair so that shouldn't make you ugly.

• Being ginger is not the same as being red headed.

And I've never heard the no soul thing, nor the witch thing in my life.

• Some people are just ignorant.Be happy that you are unique in your own right.Be grateful that you don't have to victimized because of your race or something along the lines of that.

• I know things like this happen, but I know or am friends with a lot of redheads and have never seen it happen to them. I think people are starting to move on.