How accurate are pictures?

when I look in the mirror, I look good. But then I'll take a picture and I'll end up looking like the bride of frankenstein. I don't get it. I'll take a picture of me and look in the mirror at the same time and the two are so different. talk about not being photogenic...

follow up question: when someone else sees you, do they see the mirror image or the picture image?

Most Helpful Guy

• It could have something to do with the way you perceive yourself. Technically, according to cognitive psychology, everything around us is nothing more than in our minds, because it's how our mind interprets our world that we come to know it. Which means that you could very well see what you want to see when you look in the mirror, whereas the photo will show you what is truly there, or, maybe, you have something against cameras, and the stigma that you aren't photogenic could actually allow you to perceive yourself in that way. When you feel differently, you do look differently, also. You know how people tell pregnant women or those who're recently engaged that they're radiant or glowing? The way you feel can influence how you perceive yourself in a mirror. This could all be completely quack though, but this is what cognitive psychologists would probably tell you. It's all in your head.

What Guys Said 6

• I have the exact same problem. I find if you just take a heap of different styles of photos your bound to find one that you look good in :)

• I agree with you. I don't think I look the same in pictures as I do in the mirror.

• I know some people are more photogenic and thus look better in pictures than they do in real life. Also, you have to keep in mind pictures are 2-D and lack an entire dimension that gives you beauty.

• Post some and I'll tell you...

• the mirror image is flopped, the picture is accurate.

• Neither are good indicators of how you look, with a photo it depends on the lighting conditions and angle, in a mirror it depends on the lighting conditions too but no worry about flash causing a bad image. A more accurate measure of how you look would be video

• agreed

• to your update, again video is still better, even with mirrors you won't look good in every one because like I said, it depends on the lighting. Why do you think photographers go to so much trouble to get the lighting right when they take a picture of someone? because lighting is everything.

What Girls Said 7

• You just have to practice different angles and poses and smiles in the picture. I had a problem taking pictures because I never looked directly at the lens so my eyes looked weird. lol I learned to tilt my head and add some depth/dimension to my face/body and wah-laa I was taking better pictures lol

• same here. I don't think photos can capture exactly what people see, especially if your camera isn't that great.

• I don't think they're that accurate. I don't think I look the same in pictures as I do in person.

• when someone else sees you, do they see the picture image or the mirror image?

• eh? I've never asked them that(mirror images) but they do tell me that I look much better in person than in pictures.

• They really aren't that accurate a lot of really unattractive people look gorgeous in pics then when you see them in person and its like eww.

• Photos are just innaccurate, plenty of pretty people look eh in photos and vice versa. I find it has a whole lot to do with angles and lighting.

• I'm not sure how to say this but I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When you take a still photo they don't see your movements, they don't hear your voice, they don't smell your distinct smell, and they don't see you in 3D the way you smile or your every little move so no pictures aren ot like real life and real life is usually better depiction of a person, at least I think so.

Some times pictures can make you skin color or your face and such look a little different. I look funny in a lot of my photos, but some I look really attractive. I think it depends on the photographer and also the lighting a lot! Other than that, there's the angle of the camera and the time of the photo shoot. You can take one when you look perfect or if you're about to talk and your eyes are half closed, you don't look so picture perfect if you know what I mean.

• This happens to me every time. It's like, how can I look cute in the mirror but the picture I took in the mirror looks horrible? How is that possible?

The only time I look good is 1. on video (because I'm in motion and not frozen) and 2. in candid pictures my friends take when I'm not posing or expecting it.