Girls, when you call a guy 'cute' what do you really mean?

I always read that as "Attractive, but I still wouldn't go out with him." Is that true? Is there any subtext in that word at all? Or what do you really mean?

Most Helpful Girl

• Cute" doesn't necessarily mean attractive to me. If I think a guy is attractive, I actually say he's attractive. Cute is more what the guy does than what he looks like to me. For example: I have a co worker who is really not physically attractive, but he's one of the cutest guys I've ever met just because he's funny and kind of socially awkward and just a total sweetheart. And yes, I would go out with a guy I consider cute because being adorable is more important than physical attractiveness to me.

What Girls Said 9

• It depends how she says it. If she's talking amongst friends and she says 'Oh, he's cute.' it means he's attractive.

The other alternative is if she's been asked point blank by the guy what she thinks of him physically. Now if without hesitating she says he's cute, she means it as above, however if there's a hesitation, I'd say she's being polite by not saying she's not attracted to him.

Hope that helps.

• It means I think they're, well, cute - like, attractive in a boyish way, plus it's also more about his personality. It's a good thing. I call most guys I like cute.

I also say it to sound...nonchalant.

I mean, what other words can you really use? I feel awkward calling a guy "hot", and "handsome" is just really weird, and "attractive" seems too stiff, idk. "Cute" isn't that great either, it reminds me of how I talked about my "crushes" when I was in elementary school, haha.

• For me when I call a guy cute I mean I WOULD go out with him. Hot for me is more "omg he's hot, but I don't think it would work out, because _________" or something along those lines. Like when I say hot I mean he is physically attractive. Cute for me means he is phsically attractive and also has an awesome personality, you got it all called you cute...unless she's saying like blah blah blah teddy bear cute. Comparing you to a stuffy? Most likely not gunna go out with you.

• No, that's not true (your ''hypothesis'')...

And when I say it, I mean it.

• when I say cute, I mean he looks attractive. for some reason, I never say 'you're HOT' or 'you're good looking'. I always just call him cute. but that definitely means he's attractive.

• nononono u've got it wrong. hahah when I say, "omg you're so cute", I am literally saying "omg you are so effing cute!" and I kinda want your cuteness in my life. :)

• that he's good looking. I don't really use "cute" more of "good looking" and I think James Franco is the hottest man alive right now... hahahah

• Sometimes when a guy makes a really adorable comment or does something, you get that "aw...he's so cute" thing. It's usually that I consider him as like a brother, and nothing more. Though I guess it depends on the girl, and you have to look at the way they say it.

• It's a personality thing for me not an appearance thing

What Guys Said 2

• Women use that as a catch all word for males. It can mean anything from what we mean about a girl being cute, to "hot", "handsome", or almost anything else really. I certainly don't think it means she wouldn't go out with the guy, never heard that before.

• Cute and all other terms are all relative to each person... some girls it's an "I like to go out with him" to some it's just an acknowledgement of their physical attraction. The best way to figure it out is to just go for it.