Have you had braces?

If so, how old were you when you got them, and how long did you have them?

I got them in fifth grade and wore them for about two years. I have a permanent retainer on my bottom teeth. Does anyone know if orthodontia is medically necessary?

I just started to wonder if it's really become so normal for people to pay such a large amount of money for something purely cosmetic. Like I said, I don't know..

Most Helpful Girl

• I know that sometimes they're necessary. Crowding in your teeth can lead to cavities and infections which can spread to the jaw if they get serious enough. It can also affect your chewing and such. Not to mention it can be extremely painful.

I had them from 4-6 grade and was told I'd have to get them back on my senior year of high school to my sophomore year of college. Needless to say I laughed in their faces and said my teeth are fine, it's cosmetic at this point.

They can be needed but they can also be purely cosmetic.

What Guys Said 3

• LOL...I saw the funniest thing today...little old lady...had to have been 65..maybe even 70 or so...had braces on...I was like...WTF?

• I had my braces when I was grade 6 to grade 9

• I may have been 13 when I got them, and 16-17 when they were finally taken off.

What Girls Said 11

• I had braces put on when I was 12 and I had them for 4 years. I have to wear a retainer every night to bed but that's it.

My mother forced me to get braces even though I didn't want them. Now I'm glad she forced me because I had f***ed up teeth as a child.

• I got em when I was 10 and got em off at 15, they made me wear them for 2 years extra to fix my overbite. Didn't work but they're straight lol

• I had braces in middle school

• umm.. just got them off a month or 2 ago actually haha. I had to get jaw adjustments done too which sucked cost-wise. I did it purely for cosmetic reasons because I like straight perfect teeth. I have permanent retainers on both my top and bottom teeth and also removal retainers for night. I think it's well worth the money :)

• I think I had them from 12-14. A little over two years.

Braces aren't always purely cosmetic, you can have health problems (especially pain) if your teeth overlap in a certain way or hit each other at the wrong places. Two of my upper and lower molars were doing sh*tty stuff to each other by the way they were aligned :P

• No, I've never had them.

• yeah, I had braces when I was 12 had them taken off when I turned 14.

• I got mine in 6th grade and off just before my freshman year.

• I've never had braces :D

• I had braces when I was 15 and had them on for a year.

I think it's certainly worth getting braces (if you can afford it) but it's not absolutely necessary. But I know some people, who had to get braces -- something to do with like the way the teeth were positioned. I don't know.

But I love the way my teeth look.

• I was suppose to get them at 13 but never gott them done:/