Do you really think that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"? or is that just a cliche quote?

I really din't think beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that yes there are more people more beautiful than others. For instance: Who here finds Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Adriana Lima, Megan Fox, Kim Kardashian or any Miss Universe ugly?

The same applies to men: I am sure Brad Pitt, Baptiste Giabiconi, Sean O Pry and etc are good looking fellows, more than me I got to admit.

I think there is such a thing as universa beauty, that are factors that make some people more attractive than others and that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" it is just a lie told to people with low self esteem.

hehe funny how all girls do not agree with me...ok girls here is a question for you...

If you think the saying is wrong, please tell me who here would pick a guy who is short over a tall guy all the rest being the same.
PS: This line has nothing to do with style and persoanlity, it all has to do with looks.
Well I have another question for you...if beauty is not universal and it is subjective, then what would be the point of having beauty pagents? By you guys logic then a beauty pagent will never end because judges would never make a decision on who was the more attractive person.

Most Helpful Girl

• It is scientifically proven, and technically, mathematically proven, that there is a "universal beauty" of some sort. BUT you have to realize that most people don't look like that. Additionally, that line is in regards to the details. Superficial (a little fat, no fat, single eyelid, double eyelid, tall, short, long hair, short hair) and sub-ficial (smart, average, sweet, honest, quiet and thoughtful, bold and brazen). That's what the phrase means. Yes, we say it to people with low self-esteem. But only because we want them to understand they have good points and are worthy of being loved. And we say it to those who have average self-esteem, and to those who have maybe too much self-esteem. That is the truth.

• Like I said, there are some traits that many people like. Many girls like taller guys. It is true. I'm not sure what else to say because I feel like I have said everything in my above answer...

What Girls Said 12

• To be honest, I separate people into "stereotypically attractive" people, and people that I find attractive personally.

Stereotypically attractive people, to me, are people that have the features portrayed as attractive by the media. It seems like the majority of people more or less agree with these standards of beauty. When I see someone, I can identify that they are attractive by these standards, so I would say, "Yes, that person is attractive", but more than often, I don't find them attractive personally. That doesn't mean that I think they're ugly, I just don't find myself attracted to them.

If I had a chance to date anyone from the list of guys and girls (I'm bisexual) you gave, based on looks alone, the only person I would choose is Brad Pitt.

And I'm sure that I find a lot of people very attractive that others don't.

And of course, there's the fact that looks aren't everything. For me, if I discover that a person I originally found attractive has a bad personality, the attraction is immediately gone. And If I get to know someone that I didn't find very attractive at first and they have a great personality, they usually become more attractive to me.

• Actually those two people that show me would be considered attractive by the standards. And OK I givr you that beauty is not only what adds up on the score, but remember however that that charecteristic is the most valued in a pageant. You might do extremelly well on all the categories but if you are not good looking, you just won't win..i know this because I knew a girl that went through that, really inteligent, great personality, great dress but she didn't win.

• And what exactly is stereotypical beauty for you? explain that to me because I don't understand that.

• I think that the saying is trying to say that everyone has their own taste and finds certain things to be more attractive than others. I personally don't find any of the guys you listed attractive but that's because I have my own personal taste hence the saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." If someone can find someone else absolutely gorgeous then good for them.

• ok but if I do a survey must women will fnd them attractive though...

• Not most people but the people who agree, yes. I don't think you're fully understanding the concept of the saying, or your question is changing up a little. There is not one person who everyone finds attractive. I'm sure there's plenty of people who find Adriana Lima to not be all that. Everyone has their own style and taste in people.

• no I know what the concept means, it means that beauty is different for every person, and that people that swear by it say that beauty is not universal and that some people find adriana lima ugly while others don't...

• I actually do believe that, and I'm usually not one for cliche quotes. And that's mainly from personal experience - I don't think any of the guys you listed are that attractive. Objectively, they're all good looking I guess, but they don't DO anything for me. I never get the appeal of guys who seemingly everyody else finds attractive. I have really weird taste, which is cool, cause less competition. :P I don't usually go for people who are...generically attractive.

I think there's a universal standard for beauty, yeah, which has changed a LOT over time, and is always changing (not to mention is different in different parts of the world). And I think that does dictate, albeit usually subconsciously, what a lot of people find attractive. But still, beauty itself is an abstract idea, and everyone has their own preferences.

• I think its absolutely true.

Keep in mind, that just because we don't find someone attractive, does not mean we automatically find them ugly.

I may look at someone and think they are so hot, and my friend is just like "hes not my type." There are lots of men that I am not attracted to at all, but I do not consider them ugly.

Different people find different features attractive. The women you gave as an example are actually good examples. One man may look at Megan Fox and look at the whole package and think she is so hot, while another guy just doesn't. He sees certain features as unappealing that someone else sees as appealing.

Think of it as a mathematical equation. Features all add up to attractive or unattractive, to one person it may equal attractive, to someone else, unattractive. It never equals the same exact thing from each person to the next.

• are you sure? All things the same would you choose a short guy over a tall guy?

• The question IS a personal one. Its about personal opinions, and the only way to answer it is to relate it personal experience. I'm done arguing with you because all you are looking for is validation for your low self esteem.

• PS, beauty pageants, the people in them, and the people that run them are all extra superficial, please don't let them be how you judge the rest of the world.

• I think you misunderstood the expression. It simply means that beauty is an undecidable notion. Each person has different tastes; it would be impossible for everyone to agree on what is beautiful and what is not. Sure, people have a general consensus of beauty. As you pointed out, those women and men you listed are deemed attractive by many. Many, but not everyone. To each his own.

The simple fact that my taste in guys rarely coincides with my friend's is enough to convince me that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For the record, I do find Rosie Huntington-Whiteley ugly. Her features are too exaggerated and they don't go well together. Not to mention her huge forehead... I'm also not attracted to Baptiste Giabiconi nor Sean O Pry. Are they models? I've seen much better looking guys in real life!

• Actually as you mentioned there is such a thing as universal beauty...there are features of some people that are more attractive than others, so beauty is not subjective as you think it is. No body likes obese, people with big noses or people with any form of deformity (unless they have a fetish). The phrase is trying to refer that beauty is completrly subjective...but that is not true because a lot of people get more attention than others and that is a fact and you know it.

• I still think beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Not every guy will find the women you mentioned attractive.

• are you sure? How do you know that?

• lol .. you can make a poll question with the names of those women and see how many people find them attractive.

• Kim Kardashian is a pig with way too much make-up on

• Brad Pitt is OK, I honestly do think Baptiste Giabiconi is unattractive, Sean O Pry is pretty handsome, though.

• i think you can clearly tell if someone is attractive or not. however I think opinions change when you ask someone whos hotter or who they are attracted to personally...just because you aren't attracted to someone doesn mean they aren't attractive looking.

• I do believe beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Because beauty also comes from within and of corse there is some that is skin deep but, most of the people you listed I have no attraction to whatsoever, there just kinda normal or gross to me. I think what makes people beautiful is the way they rep. Them selvs and personality.

• this question had nothing to do with beauty in the inside; and actually that saying doesn't have to do with personality either just looks.

• Depends who interpreting it. Everyone looks at things differently than others. That was my answer.

• I believe that quote 100 percent.

• I honestly disagree with it. I go from my own personal experience. I've been getting called ugly since I was 12 years old. Not only by my classmates but by my mother and sister. My face is masculine looking. I was hoping maybe it would be something I would grow out of so when I was a kid it didn't depress me as much.

After High School though, people still called me ugly. So I moved to a new city from my old town. I was hoping that people in my new city might be open minded. I hoped maybe I was just ugly to people in my old town. However, that didn't happen in my case. People still call me ugly here. They agree of the same thing as the people in my old town my family said. They all say that my face is manly looking.

I am a 27 year old virgin. No man has ever been attracted to me. I have been rejected by every man I've ever been interested in. And I have never gone out of my league.I don't go for really attractive men because I know I don't have a chance. I am just not attractive to anyone.

I work hard on my appearance too. I keep myself thin and I dress up to compensate for my face. But none of that matters. People still call me ugly. So therefore I don't believe that saying is true.

Maybe it applies to some people, but I think certain people like me it doesn't apply to. I am ugly to everyone just like girls in beauty pageants are beautiful to everyone.

• And I've also experimented with this online. I used my face and Mila Kunis on a poll once to prove a point. A lot of online people don't believe I can be as ugly as I say I am. I didn't say it was me, I just it was a everyday girl compared to Mila Kunis. Every single person picked her. So I switched it up since Mila is famous. With the permission of my beautiful friend, I used her picture and mine. Still didn't mention it was me vs her. Just said it was two different girls. Who is hotter? She was chosen and I wasn't at all.
      So I think my experiment proved that saying is true and I am ugly.

• Well look here:

there can be a guy that is tall and scrubby and one girl might think he is hot while another girl might think he is OK looking. that's all what "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" really means.

Some people may say that Adriana lima is the most beautiful girl in the world, others might just say she is OK looking.

See what I mean? And yes, in the eye of a mother he child no matter how he or she looks like the mother would love her child a lot.

For me my nephew is the cutest person in the entire world. Not because he is the cutest baby in the world, it's just because he is my nephew. He is sort of dark skin, really chubby and not really THAT cute in a lot of people's eyes but he is for me. So people better not diss my baby! That's how that works.

It's just PREFERENCE.

• The cuteness of your nephew has nothing to do with sexual attraction...this is more love than anything, nothing to do with attraction.

• what do you mean? Judges always! make a final decision your answer doesn't make sense.

• I'm saying that not everyone agrees on what the judge says because EVERYONE has a preference. There's such thing as beauty in the eye of the beholder because everyone sees beauty in their own way, even judges.

What Guys Said 5

• Facial symmetry has a lot to do with how we perceive beauty.

Here is a video that explains it:

link

Watch the clip after as well.

• ;) I saw that video the other day and that video is one of the reasons why I asked this question.

• There is a science behind it. The idea is, we wind up settling because we are inclined to pursue partners "within our league". Why doesn't every girl go for Brad Pitt? Because most understand that they would get rejected. And in their own defense, they try to claim he isn't attractive when the real explanation is that they wouldn't have a chance, therefore prefer not to go for him.

• Or they don't pursue them because he's brad pitt and is a celebrity, and is surrounded by body guards and probably has better things to do than to come to Applebee's in a small town. Plus with how he travels, the liklihood of running into him is slim. Its like this with any celebrity/model though.

I don't think its so much settling, the men I've been with, to me, were not settling in the looks dept. If I found them attractive, I went for it regardless.

• I'd say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When out and about do you ever notice couples and wonder what one sees in the other because to you neither one to you is a 10. But then you see a Pretty gal or good looking guy and think to your self wow I'd like to be with that one. Some women think Sean Connery and Harrison Ford and Carrie Grant were good looking. Some don't There are guys how would do anything to be around or in the same room as Megan Fox and Angelina Jolie. As a guy and I'm not afraid to say this I think their both ugly and can't figure why guy's would even want to be seen with them. As to Rosie and Adriana with to some sort of change to the eyes and or the mouth may improve them but that's just being petty they are what they are. Just remember one person may think you ugly and the next may think your hot.

• who do you find attractive in your case?

• had a chance to see some ladies faces who people know. No particular order Leishton Meester, Ximena Navamete ,Rachel Bilson ,Ana De La Reguerat ,Broklyn Decker, along with Kristen Bell Ann Hathaway and Taylor Swift. All of them are welcome at my place any time but their subject to the same rules as the real ladies I meet and actually have chance hanging with proper dress, no ho tags,tramp stamps and improper makeup. If they pass that then I have my 2nd level of weeding them out.

• i am actually pretty sure that must people will rate them as attractive women, because they are. And they will without a doubt be more attractive than a lot of women compared face to face. That is what I mean, some people are just better looking than others. So to me beauty is not subjective. Sure there are small differences between people but at the end of the day, everybody agrees who is pretty and who isn't.

• i believe it, a lot of chicks that I find hot or attractive may not be appealing to others.

• what do you find hot?

• that is more style though, not so much looks. I can say that are good looking punk girls and others that aren't so much.

• @ update: beauty pageants are lame and outdated, they have no reason to exist anymore. as if they even had a good reason to exist in the first place.

• You're probablly right, people are pretty shallow but choose to cover it up.

• Looks cause initial attraction they aren't what make us unique what makes us unique are our personalities those characteristics that set us apart from one another that is what makes a person beautiful and that is different to everybody

• yeah I am just talking about looks though, cause that is what the phrase refers too.