How can I accept my thin hair?

I'm a young woman as you can see and I have thin hair. I've always had thin hair. It's simply genetic, something I was born with, and not the product of an illness or hormonal deficit or whatever. It's always been like this and it will likely always be like this. My hair is quote long, only because I haven't cut it, it's at like waist level and and it's thin and fine, my ponytail's thickness is like that of a thumb. I know thin hair looks better in short styles but my face wouldn't look good and it's psychological or something but I wouldn't feel so femenine... plus I've told my male friends I may cut my hair short and they've all told me not to do it because women look better with long hair.

But I feel very self conscipous because I can practically do nothing with the little amount of hair I have. And it's embarrassing because you can see some scalp, you can simply tell I have thin hair. My hair is shiny and healthy and all, but still... and people say it's such a vain thing to be worried about, but they obviously don't get it because women are expected to have thick, full hair... and it's not acceptable to be bald, like it is for men.

I feel so embarrased, especially when people touch my hair or when my friends mess my hair up and stuff. And I feel so unfemenine because I can't do anything nice with my hair. I hate shampoo ads so much because they glorify having lots and lots of hair and I'm so far from it. I feel ashamed.

I don't know how to accept it. I wish people were more accepting of this. And I wish I could get transplants but I can't. I won't get extensions and such because it can make me lose hair. And sadly I'm not one of those women who once had thick hair and now they don't but they can get it back... I never had and never will have thick hair and, crap, hair is so related to femininity :(

Most Helpful Girl

• i don't think its vain to be worried about hair. If you want to cut your hair short.. then do it! Don't listen to guys... they don't know what they are talking about.. they see long hair on you so they can't picture you with short hair. I use to have thin hair.. Ill give you some tips on what I have heard to do. do you straighten your hair alot? or blow dry? that could be a cause of thin hair, you can try different hair styles like braids or buns which can make the hair appear thicker. Maybe try not to use those as much, or get your hair done. You said your hair was long? Maybe your split ends have grown thus tearing your hair apart. When my hair was thin I wore extensions... most of girls do wear extensions so there is no need to feel ashamed. The last thing I could recommend and might be the most useful is if you do straighten your hair, make it wavy or curly to give an illusion of thicker hair.. There are a lot of women out there with thin hair no need to be ashamed!

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 5

• that's why you should have short hair when you're young,to keep it from getting pulled and damaged which leads to having thin hair. and you should cut it short ( link ),then use olive oil and special shampoos on it to help it repair itself,if it improves-grow it out,but not that long,only boob length

• I've always had thin hair, I was born like that. It's genetic, both of my parents have it. I never had thick hair and I wore a short haircut for years as a kid because my hair got too tangled. Still I have thin hair now.

• I experienced hair loss and researched the best vitamins to combat the problem. Then some one told me that a product named Reloxe included all the safe vitamins etc. that stimulated hair growth. I tried it and they were right! Worked in about 3 months. Reloxe Stopped me from having to buy 10 or more different kinds of vitamins per month.

• Thick Hair isn't so special...lol

but idk...can you link an example...

is it like bald?

• Not bald but really thin. Like I said, when I do a ponytail it's only like a thumb in thickness.

And you can't really say thick hair isn't special because the ideal is to have a full head of hair.

I just have less hair than average, that's all.

• oh ok...it shouldn't be bad...as long as no bald spots.

i am thick hair and it takes too long to straighten...or its always puffy and frizzing..i wish we could have a happy medium lol.

Well enjoy your hair...thin or not...if it bothers you that much...i know you don't want extentions but get clip it lol for volume...or idk..

• my hair is so thin too... u can see scalp around my part and my temples... i recommend taking biotin, nourkrin, lysine, vitamin d, and iron... although try toppik hair filler fibers! the conditioner and hair fattener too! i know toppik isn't the best option because i wish i could just have thick hair naturally, however i can finally go out in public and feel confident that no one can see my scalp and nobody notices anything=] <3

• try horse and mane shampooo. I heard that it makes your hair thicker