Is wanting to look good and have something new shallow?

I have been trying to get a summer job (I'm 16) for awhile now, but no one is hiring and I go back to school in less than a month. I wanted to save up money to buy back to school clothes, makeup etc because I always do each year to boost my self esteem.

I only have 100$ and things aren't cheap especially when I'm trying to stretch my money as far as possible.

My mom always seems to subtly give me crap about clothes shopping, she thinks I have too much which I definitely do not (I Haven't gone shopping in forever) But looking good is important to me because when I look good or have new clothes I feel good about myself and feel like I can accomplish anything. Is that shallow or selfish to think?

I'm asking because I really don't know how to make money, I live in the middle of no where and its too late for a summer job, I hope my parents will help me out but idk. should I ask them if I can do odd jobs around the house? >:(

Most Helpful Girl

• Shallow or not, I think the same way you do. Every shopping trip gives me a little thrill because the clothes I buy help me express my personality and are my first impression on the rest of the world. I think most girls feel good when they look good.

For $300 I was able to get four pairs of shoes, a skirt, a pair of shorts, five dresses, a scarf, a tank top, a blazer, a t-shirt, and two sweaters at Forever 21. If you take your $100 there I'm sure you'll be able to get some pretty good and cute stuff.

What Guys Said 1

• well it's a shallow thing, but like, there's nothing wrong with that. A deep pool has the top part of the water which is a shallow depth. The problem with people who are 'shallow' is that they are not deep AS WELL. But if you are also deep sometimes there's nothing wrong with being shallow sometimes. Everyone wants to look good. I feel the same way as you do about clothes shopping :)

What Girls Said 4

• Talk to them about it. Explain to them how new clothes make you feel. I would definitely tell them that you'll do things around the house for the money. Why don't you get a regular job? Other than a summer job. This is the best time to apply too because all of the college kids are going back to school so people to take their place are needed. You're 16, a lot of kids your age balance school and a part time job.

• Try the thrift store - I know they're not new, but you can find good quality, brand name clothes there. You can try selling your old clothes to consignment stores, but there's not a lot of money in that. Although, it might make your mom more willing to let you get more if you get rid of a little. Maybe a yard sale could make a little money. Can't hurt to ask your parents about chores - it's better than just asking them for money.

Eventually I think you'll realize that your clothes and things aren't so important, but it's understandable right now. Those things definitely seem more important when you're in high school.

• @ thrift store part: I know I go to the part of town where all the rich people live (if you go to a crappy one you won't find anything) and find $200 stuff with the price tag for like 5 bucks! plus I learned how to sew so I can tailor anything that doesn't fit :)

• It depends...i have been looking for a job too lol...

i know how everyone always acts like the back to school outfit has to be on top...my mom acts the same way but I'm lucky because my birthday is right before school starts.

• ahh that is a good birthday spot

• i feel the same. there's nothing wrong with that at all