Can you get stretch marks from stress?

I haven't changed size in about 3 or 4 years, so I know it's not putting on weight that has caused this.

End of last year, I had a bit of a breakdown due to a long, stressful year and I had a piece of bad news, and all of it suddenly crashed on me.

It was about this time that I developed vertical, angry, red stretch marks down my stomach. I'm not the thinnest girl in the world, but I never used to have them. They are right on the front, underneath my breasts, above my belly button.

I've been looking into the causes of stretch marks - I have them in other places on my body, but these are different... the others fade in time, but these are different from the others...

So, I was wondering, is the cause maybe stress? Can you have stress stretch marks?

Most Helpful Girl

• How positive are you that these are stretch marks? Stretch marks occur when you suddenly loose, or gain weight in a small amount of time. I don't think you have stretch marks if you're absolutely positive you haven't gained weight. My guess is that they're something else. Stress can cause a lot of different break outs to occur on your skin.

• link they look like this, although not as severe. My weight goes up and down a bit, but not like, by several stone. And that's normal I think. It's really worrying

• It sounds like you got them from your weight going up and down in a small amount of time, it doesn't matter by how much you gained/lost stretch marks still occur. I definitely suggest you don't try to loose weight quickly to get rid of them, that's just going to make them worse. Stretch marks don't go away when you loose weight, they go away by a healthy diet and exercise as well as drinking plenty of water.

• Oh I'm not losing it quickly, I wanted to lose weight anyway and this pushed me to do so. I try and cut out the pizza and the chips, and the bread and have more salad and beans, and veg and things :) I drink as much water as I can, when I work out I always drink at least one bottle of water throughout the workout.

Thank you for commenting :)

What Guys Said 2

• Stress can cause all kinds of skin eruptions I think. I haven't heard of stress related stretch marks though.

• Yeah. Skin eruption.

What Girls Said 1

• Yes, if you also gained weight (which could be because of stress, so stress was indirectly the cause)...

• I was more asking if the stress could cause it - I know there's a hormone imbalance that presents itself with stretch marks (my brother had it) I think it's do to with thyroids? I'm not 100% sure. I wondered if the increase of stress levels would have a similar effect?