Does your school have a clothing hierarchy?

at my school it's like this:

walmart, target, Kmart, old navy, TJ Maxx = trailer trash

aeropostale, American eagle, hollister, abercrombie and fitch, Victoria's secret, department stores (Macy's, JCPenney) = OK

Anne Taylor, banana republic, j crew, Armani express, nordstrom = fashionable

i shop at the middle ones Because that's all I can afford. wish I could afford the last ones.

Most Helpful Guy

• i'm not in school any more, but I love the Old navy tee's. So does that make me Asian trailer trash? hahahahaha, that's so silly.

I hate the aramani clothing patterns, especially the Louis Vuitton patterns, they all look like bad old english suit cases or old drapes from the 17th century.

I did like tommy hilfiger clothes, they are fresh and hip with great bright color combinations, but because he's a racist pig, so I don't wear his stuff anymore.

I just stay with my old navy baseball Tee's and my Esprit polo's

What Guys Said 14

• I'm sure everywhere in high school has things like this, haha. To tell the truth, you can only order the latter clothes online where I'm from and no one gives a flying f!@#. Get past clothes and see the person. I can afford any clothes I want since I work for everything I have so don't think I'm just saying that due to "cost", lol. I know some great people who've come from the ghetto and some people who don't deserve life but have everything.

• i went to high school in a very rich area. and from what I understand it was like that for the girls. but not for the guys. one of the nice things about being a guy is that it doesn't matter whether you're wearing $15 jeans from walmart or $120 jeans from someplace fashionable. jeans are jeans, and t-shirts are t-shirts. and that applies even in rich neighborhoods.

• if there was I didn't pay attention to it. clothes are clothes.

• I refuse to waste an exorbitant amount of money on clothes just for the sake of popularity. I'll eat my lunch by myself...with my pile of money I didn't waste.

• The school I am now enrolled in is 100% online, so I will be showing up to class in basketball shorts and T-shirt, both bought from the "trailer trash" tier of the hierarchy.

• private school=no such problems xD

• My old high school was insane. It was filled with super spoiled rich kids, it was probably the top 2% in the country (colombia). The thing was that it was a private school and everyone wore uniforms except on school trips or on special days the school allowed normal clothes for charity (so you paid to wear normal clothes) on these days you noticed how everyone was obsessed with fashion. school fashion said abercrombrie and fitch everyone would wear abercrombrie and fitch. school fashion said tongue piercing everyone wore tongue piercings. school fashion said 4 inch heels everyone wore heels (guys would be those puma shoes with spikes). It was insane although I would admit I liked when g-strings and whale tails came in style.

• Clothes are clothes. You'll notice when you get to college/university that lots of girls will show up from time-to-time in their pajamas or track pants in their early classes with no makeup. I actually gain a lot of respect for a girl who's confident enough in herself to do that. It's really attractive.

• Yes they did.

Not easy going to school on payless shoes and kmart clothes...did get better shoes, but still had to suffer through college.

Wasn't trailer trash, just poor but had a house.

Now I can afford the top of the line...

Armani, guess, polo, diesel

• No, If it keeps me warm then whatever. I have no idea why you labeled old navy as trailer trash...they make some nice jeans.

• Nope. I don't think we care what other people wear. Clothing is clothing.

• Yeah

What I can afford

and

What I can't afford

You should discriminate from old navy and tj max. They have some good stuff. Everyone shops there. There is nothing wrong about shopping from there

• No, we are shallow superficial beauty queens at school, we buy what we want to wear and don't judge each other for it... then again, we don't really have a popularity hierarchy, but we do have weirdos and cool kids

• Not really. For most of the people I know, it's what's on the INSIDE that counts. So what does the person look like NAKED!

What Girls Said 10

• Not really, but I am in college so I guess there is a difference. But I know from my high school days people would always give me a grossed out look if I said I shopped at sears or Wal-mart, worst yet were thrift stores :P But I still shop at those places and they are in no way gross. I always kind of shake my head at the people who buy really expensive clothing that is just plain. Like a plain white t-shirt that might only have the brand name on it. Why should that be 50 bucks? And better yet, why would someone pay that much money for it? :S But if its a good piece, then its OK. I guess to each his own :)

• The hierarchy for college is:

A nice color coordinated outfit - (from who gives a f*** where -)

T - shirt / jeans

Sweats / hoodies / basketball shorts

Pajamas / slippers

Woke up 5 minutes before class started outfits

Or

No clothes / half nakedness - ( Don't ask how this came to be...lol...)

Clothes don't mean sh*t really - some people have to wear the same clothes for weeks, so don't get sucked up into the superficial. Be grateful for what you have and can afford - because honestly -

You could have nothing.

• I suggest you don't attend a college where the tuition is more than your parents' salary. The girls there give you funny looks if your clothes aren't obviously designer. They don't pick on you for it, but you can tell what they're thinking.

Forever21 all the way.

• Though I adore the Mad Men line at Banana Republic. I wish I could afford those dresses.

• Not really. I go to a suuuuper small school in a small town where nobody really cares about fashion too much. People show up in school sweats and tshirts and no one cares. I like to dress up nice in like anne taylor, gap, bebe, new york and co., sometimes abercrombie/hollister and dolce and gabbana. Not because they make me popular, which I am not, but because I like to look nice. My friends are the same way. We're not athletes or anything, we're all drama geeks and nerds. We just enjoy fashion.

• What your school considers OK is fashionable at my school and what your school considers fashionable is just OK. Lots of my classmates think that stores like banna republic are for people 40+ lol -.-

• I go to a rich kid school and if you don't have a different outfit each day of the month and don't have a dozen pair of buckle jeans and if your parents don't buy you an expensive new car and pay for it, you're considered trash.

• at my school no one gives a damn what you wear... I go to a high school with less then 300 people most of which are not at all interested in fashion...

• Yes :) but have clothes custom made by my mum (designer) so everyone thinks I'm rich, I'm really not, but it's not like I'm going to correct them lol :)

• Not really, personalities are a much bigger factor.

• I'm sort of concerned with the way you regard your school's "hierarchy of clothes." In this hierarchy, cheap clothes make a person unpopular and very expensive ones make them popular and "cool."

In my opinion, this attitude, and to believe in this kind of attitude - that expensive items make you cool and cheap ones are for trashy people - is a terrible way to go through life. I know it's just clothes for now, but as you get older, you'll see that there are a lot of rich people (though not all of them) who believe that simply by being rich and being able to afford expensive items, somehow this makes them better ("cooler"). That's totally untrue, and again, a terrible way to look at it. However cliche it sounds, what makes a person "cool" and "popular" is their personality and what is on the inside, not what is on the outside.

You're stuck in this mindset that you want/need to have the expensive clothes so that you can become more fashionable and then your social status at school will be higher. This mindset was created by those expensive brands solely so that they could sell their products. I'm not kidding - that's exactly what designer brands do. They set you up so that you're constantly striving to buy these expensive clothes so that you will become accepted by the group which will make you happy.

I promise you that true happiness doesn't revolve around being accepted by the group, whatever high school society says. Happiness comes from spending time with people you care about - friends, family, boyfriends. And those people? Couldn't care less about what brand you wear. (And if they do, they're not real friends). As an older person, my advice is to try to change your mindset and try to understand that what stores you shop at is not a mark of how fashionable you are or how cool/popular you are.

P.S.: you can totally be "fashionable" without dressing in a high priced brand. My challenge for you is to put together a fashionable outfit from the "low" brands in this heirarchy and see how many people compliment you on your outfit. When they ask where you got it, tell them you got it from the "higher" brands in this silly hierarchy. I bet they won't even know the difference (proving again how silly it is to believe that expensive items make you more fashionable/cooler/better).