How do you teach a girl to be fashionable?

one of my friends asked me if I could teach her to be fashionable. she's a cute girl but dresses so dowdy. her clothes are whatever her mom picks her up at walmart. they're not poor but she just never shops. she doesn't wear makeup or do her hair.

I'm not a good teacher. I don't know how I learned to be fashionable. I just picked it up. I tried showing her youtube vids and fashion mags but she's bad at copying them. she just looked like an even bigger mess.

what do I do? I want to help her but I don't know how.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm afraid I don't have much of an answer for the "teacher" part of it, but you can offer to go shopping with her and pick out things you think she would look good in.

I do agree with the guys in that she has to pick her own style that she likes and feels comfortable in. Whether that's a timeless classic look, or the latest trend-setting style off the runway.

In the end, there's only so much you can do and the best you can do is to say you tried. It's up to her to LEARN how to be fashionable, and not just from you but from the other sources you mentioned.

I think you've been and you are being a good friend so far. You're not a bitch so don't let that person get you down.

What Guys Said 4

• Since fashion is, in essence, an art form, a form of self-expression, if she simply doesn't 'feel' it, then she can't really do it. She just simply expresses herself through other means than fashion.

• I really really recommend fashion blogs! She got to pick a style that she likes, if its nice, read a bit about it, and then go shopping, but ONLY buy stuff that match that style. If you also buy other stuff and she isn't experienced with fashion, she may end up mixing things in a terrible way.

Good Luck! I really care for these kind of things ;)

• she has to dress for her body. fatter girls can't pull off tight clothes etc...

also, don't pay attention to the answerer at the bottom. if she's not gonna answer you, she has no right to just insult you, I reported it. you are an aspiring model, so that's why all your questions are fashion oriented, she should know what she's talking about before running her mouth :)

• Tell her how to match and contrast and pointers and all that.

What Girls Said 3

• give her some magazines and point her to some fashion blogs. she'll learn better if she simply gets exposed to fashion and picks out the pieces that suit her personality but are also fashionable.

• Pretty sure it's the same as teaching anything else. Just show them what works and explain why it does.

• Dear Little Miss Thing,

I would suggest you go shopping with her :]

Sincerely,

IMAQT xx