Do men not want women to dress nicely?

So I was reading this question yesterday & this guy said it was women's fault for getting raped because of the way they dress. He talked about how women shouldn't wear skirts, etc. But I was always under the impression that men liked when women dressed up & if a girl is going to be noticed, she has to put effort into her looks. This guy sounded like he thought women should dress very conservatively because, according to him, men had no control over themselves when women dressed proactively.

I mean, what do men want? Some of them say they want us to dress nice, & others call us sluts just for wearing a skirt... There is so many mixed messages, what do you guys want?

Thank you for your great answers guys

Most Helpful Girl

• In cases of rape, it is NEVER the victim's fault. Guys may use this as an excuse to make their disgusting actions towards women seem okay. It is not okay. What a women chooses to wear does not give others the green light to force them to have sex.

However, girls who wear very revealing clothing draw attention to themselves and others may interpret this as an invitation to hook up. "Dressing up" can mean different things to different people. Wearing a mini skirt, enormous high heels, and a low cut top may be considered "dressed up" to some girls, but might be viewed as "slutty" by other people.

I think the majority of guys find it most attractive when a girl looks put together, doesn't seem to be trying overly hard, but looks confident and comfortable. Personally, if I wear a shorter skirt, I try to wear something more conservative on top, and vice versa, so it's not so overwhelmingly exposing.

What Guys Said 5

• Saying that some women ask for it is taking it too far, but there's some truth as to some women just dress over the top. There's a big line between looking nice and dressing up like a slut. If you're wearing a super mini skirt that shows part of your asscheeks, and a tank top that just covers your breasts and nothing mrore, you can expect some wrong attention.

• That guy was a liar and a maniac; dress has nothing at all to do with getting raped.

Generally, different men want different things, and since you can't please everyone or even most people, it's best to please yourself.

• Sixstring nailed it. Dressing up in a classy way is awesome and sexy. Dressing up like a slut, hell no. As for the whole "women who dress like sluts deserve to be raped" thing; it's f*cking bull and the dude who said that is an ahole. I will say, though, that while women who dress scantily, slutty, whatever, definitely ARE doing it to get attention from men and it's probably more likely to draw the attention of someone who's likely to rape (definitely not condoning rape though).

• Grandma still wears wears dresses and skirts...shes 95.

• That guy was a racist douchebag who didn't know anything abouty the real reason people get raped. People get raped because rapist want power over their victims, not because a girl wears a skirt. That guy was off his rocker, don't pay attention to him.

What Girls Said 6

• I really don't think most men see a skirt and immediately think "MUST RAPE!". That's not normal human behavior.

That guy is not socially/morally "all there", and I do not think he's a good indicator of the attitudes of the general male public.

• It's a matter of what you are wearing. Guys do like girls to dress nice but not like a skank. Wearing skirts that show your ass or shirts that are cut so that you can nearly see her full breasts is skanky. Wear a pair of leggings under your skirts to take away some of the skin showing and wear tank tops under low cut tops. Wearing clothes that make you look cute but classy at the same time make guys happy. Dressing like a skank just makes things bad for you. Most guys hate it because it makes the girl look like she's been around one too many times. You can wear that cute short skirt just wear something underneath to make it a little more conservative. Casual and classy is what guys like.

• Whoever wrote that can go suck a f***. Dress how you want.

• I think he means when they dress to revealing, there is a right way and wrong way to dress.

• you can dress nice without crossing the line

• Dress for yourself, that's what I say! : )

And as far as the question you read about that guy believing "it was a woman's fault for getting raped because of the way they dress"...he's obviously an a**hole.