BLACK is BEAUTIFUL? What do you think?

I am black and I know that everyone is different, where you live and what you eat can affect your appearance, but why does the general mass media and most people tends to think that black features are ugly?...I came across a question on this site asking, can black women be beautiful? What's up with that?

I would prefer if no one used vulgar words to express themselves, there are other ways to answer a question without being rude.

Most Helpful Girl

• I took a class on the study of African American women in the United States and I learned a lot of new stuff, and I'm sure a lot of this black women weren't aware of either. The more white/mulatto an African American woman looks the more appealing they have been perceived to be. I think when things started really going downhill is when black women started straightening their hair, and that put a tremendous amount of pressure on them. In the days of segregation when black women were given an education many of them were taught by white ministry women that told them that they were innately overtly sexual and that, unlike white women, who already had morals they had to go to school in order to learn these! Another very tragic side of this, is that when the masters use to rape slaves the woman was to be blame because she tempted them. I wrote a paper comparing earlier literature of African American women to the hip-hop artists of today. There is a book called : Check yourself before you wreck yourself and it is great! It talks about all of the questions you are asking now and shows how they have overcome it through their music.

What Guys Said 4

• I like black girls of all shades, really dark to light and I even like natural hair but that's still rare to see in real life or in the media I hardly ever see that :(. I think all races can be beautiful and mostly, most people are attracted to their own race, depending on the city you come from the standard of beauty generally reflects the majority I guess. Its probably an individual thing but black features do look attractive on black girls deffinitly :)

• To be completly honest (sorry if I'm pissing anyone off here) but I generally don't go crazy for girls with extremely dark skin. However I do know some mixed race (would probably still be described as black) girls that are absolutely drop-dead gorgeous. It might also be the frizzy hair though, the ones I like tend to have curly or even straight hair. Just all a matter of personal preference, I'm pretty sure there are also millions of guys drooling over dark skinned frizzy haired girls.

• I think black women are going to come into their own pretty soon. My grandmother tells everyone that will listen that blacks and whites shouldn't have children because their offspring will be ugly to both races. What she doesn't understand, is that women of mixed race are regarded as being really sexy today. Things change. I find black women, including dark black women, very attractive, and many of my friends do too. Also there are a lot of sexy black women in the media. Admittedly, few of them are very dark, but there are many of them that aren't what I would consider light skinned. Jennifer Hudson and Gabrielle Union don't have very dark skin, but they are a true milk chocolate color.

• Yes it is, especially natural haired BW. To the day BW (not mailto/Redbone) gets a promotion in the media outside the p0rn industry, is the day when BW will become highly desirable across the board.

What Girls Said 7

• What's up with that? Black IS beautiful, I'm Chinese but I have a few black friends and I find them very attractive. This is not even a problem of the race. I guess it's all up to people's preferences, you've probably met those who find others more attractive but don't forget there's still many MANY of them who think blacks are attractive. ''Can black be beautiful?'' am honestly gonna laugh my head off.

• I think some blacks are beautiful.

Just like some *insert race* are beautiful.

• Yes of course.I saw many beautiful black women.Ignore the media.They sent a lot of stereotypes about something and dumb people started to believe it.

• Hell yes they can be as attractive as any other race can be, here's an example of a gorgeous black girl in the media

link

• black people have been the subjects of negative and harmful stereotypes since we were brought here on boats. that will never change. not only do they think we are less attractive, but less intelligent, less moral, and less anything else you can think of. moral of the story: stop giving a f*** what mainstreamers think! most of them don't think independently anyway

• Of course black is beautiful,

It seems like a lot of black woman aspire to a white kind beauty though which makes no sense. black woman should embrace their own strengths more, you guys have fantastic bone strcture, you can get away with colors that would totally wash a White girl can only dream of and your natural hair is amazing.

link

• *that was meant to read "you can get away with colors a White girl can only dream of"

• in my opinion no but that's just me