Why girls put so much emphasis on the height of men? Isn't that silly?

I mean a guy can be fat, ugly, stupid etc etc but he cannot be short, because that is like the next thing as having a third arm or something like that. I know women are going to tell me "yeah but man don't want fat girls" yeah that's true although I beg too differ I have seen many men with chubby women, as well if you had a chance you would trade your fat men for another one that isn't so much fat anymore...

I also heard that its because they want to feel protected...from what? this is not the stone age anymore and plus if you don't want trouble just don't look for it.

Anyhow I mean the guy could be good looking, funny, smart, kind etc etc but if he is not tall or at least average he is not datable at all.

It doesn't make sense.

Most Helpful Guy

• lol I guess I'll answer this seeing as I'm 22 and only 5'5 barefoot (that's not a typo), but yeah it is harder finding girls to date particularly because even the short girls which there are a lot of, still want the tallER guy. Truth be told man you just gotta work with what you got.

I'm short as hell and I gotta live with that, so what do I do? I work out, dress nice (helps a lot), got a job, go to school, anything to tip the balance in my favor. I'm not trying to sound cocky or anything but you wouldn't believe how many times I've heard things like "he looks good but he's too short" or "if only he was taller" it sucks because my height isn't something I can control. However I was patient and it paid off, I've been with my girlfriend now for 4 months not long I know, but she's 5'6 who would've thought lol.

What Girls Said 7

• Why girls put so much emphasis on the height of men? Attraction some girls find height attractive.

Isn't that silly? No. It's only silly if they are in an unhealthy relationship solely because he's tall.

Same reason why most guys prefer girls with long hair because it's feminine. Height is just a trait used to display masculinity.

Your point? Guys do the same thing ruling out girls if they have a trait they find unattractive.

beg too differ I have seen many men with chubby women

^ lol most guys with chubby girls are attracted to chubby girls.

Most guys don't go out with girls that they find unattractive or while most women can date ugly, fat, or bald guys despite not being attracted to ugly, fat, or bald guys.

• Tom Cruise scored pretty well despite his height.

• good example, but I'm sure QA's excuse would be 'Well because he's a celebrity."

What's your response to that?

• "Anyhow I mean the guy could be good looking, funny, smart, kind etc etc but if he is not tall or at least average he is not datable at all. " - celebrity falls under etc etc.

• 1. it is silly

2. no, it isn't the stone age anymore, but evolutionary instinct still exists. for the same reasons, men seek fit women with clear skin and an overall healthy look- women seek men that they instinctively believe will make a good made. height is one of those things. for example, when animals feel endangered or threatened, they bristle, they appear larger than they are to intimidate their predator.

3. being short doesn't make a guy undateable. if he lets his height lower his self-confidence and his ability to interact with women- THAT makes him undateable. it's height. you can't do anything about it except where shoes with slight heels on them. accept it and move on.

4. what is this bullsh*t with trading in fat men for thinner ones? your thinking is so flawed. if I like someone and want to be with him, seeing someone thinner isn't going to change that.

the ideas that you have expressed in this question indicate that being short isn't the issue. YOU are the issue. your thought-process and rational are far from logical.

• I agree, really I do. I hate the 'protected' manifesto. Its an excuse that worms its way into lots of areas of lots of girls' lives and I can't understand why. I don't think I'm going to get mugged any time soon, personally, and if I do I'll probably get mugged by a big tall man anyway.

• I see lots of guys who are short do just fine. But, there are some women who find height to be a deal breaker. Other women who don't do bald. Or fat. Or red heads. Or crooked teeth. Etc.

The thing is, don't let a few people's preferences convince you that NOBODY is interested.

• this is just a popular preference. just like most men don't like tall women.

• I like women in the 5'7-5'11 range, if you consider that tall.

• Have to say I think most me "like" tall women but you never see them together for the obvious reasons.

• from the questions I've seen on here asking about height preferences, most guys were saying they don't like tall women.

• It's biological for females to want a tall male. Same reason men are attracted to women with long hair, big hips and big breasts.

It all has to do with our need to reproduce and wanting a healthy mate with good genes so they can be passed on.

• yeah but that assumes men ONLY want to date models, yet you see a lot of men NOT in a relationship with that kind.

• Before it assumes men only wants to date models; it assumes that it is infact biological. It ceases to recognise the highly variated normative preferences that vary deeply from that of the west in other cultures through out the world and throughout history.

• Agreed. I mean, you could just as well say it's silly that women won't date frogs. Literal frogs. I mean, it's so discriminatory, why won't they see their inner beauty?

What Guys Said 4

• No it's not silly. Not sure how to explain this without belittling lesser-statured folk so I'll just leave it at that.

• True although we don't need physical height and size to get by anymore we still have that genetic predisposition to choose a certain mate. It's still transitioning more towards social darwinism though instead of the whole physical survival of the fittest.

• It does make sense. Alpha males. Survival of the fittest. Bigger is better. It is a combination of what the media pushes and what instincts are inside of women.

• That's one thing that most women can't seem to live without, seek out the ones who are more empathetic and accepting, you don't need to pay attention to the others.

• just remember that those girls have flaws of their own too, nobody is perfect, and two can play at the belittling game :)