Where are the African American ladies at the gym?

I go to the gym 3-4 days a week, and I am typically the only woman of color there (that goes regularly), and it is in the heart of the city in the middle of everything so it doesn't make sense to me. I get uncomfortable a lot being the only one there because I stick out like a sore thumb. A lot of AA men are there, Hispanic, Indian, Asian men and women, but no African American females.

Do you see AA females at your gym?

Any AA women that have the same problem?

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 3

• Rarely do I see them either and I live in an area where there are lots of them. A fair number of AA guys,but less thantheir proportion of the population. My guess is tht so many are so obese they're embarrassed to show up but that's only a guess.

• Lol my gym is for white people, all the trainers are white, everyone their is white lots of hockey players come in. To be fair its a white hockey area, the occaisional non-white male hockey players do come in though.

• Usually the aa women are playing basketball eith the dudes at my gym lol

What Girls Said 10

• I've in NYC where there are tons of AAs,and I am AA as well.I run into the same issue as you...the only one often at the gym numerous times.Sadly,i think it is because physical activity amongst the black community (especially women) is NOT a priority.Statistics show that African American women have the higher rate of obesity in the U.S. Four out of five AA women in the U.S. Are obese.

• Exactly.

• I think that there isn't as much pressure on black women to be fit to be attractive as on white women, and black women are encouraged to feel confident about their looks regardless of whether or not they're thin. This has both its up sides and down sides. The up side is less emotional baggage/self esteem issues, the down side is the obvious health concerns associated with not keeping active.

I want a girl who is a middle ground of both =( Is that too much to ask?

• Come to think of it you are right! There arenoone at my gym. In fact there are only a few AA guys .

I just noticed lol

• I do see quite a few (they are usually older women..probably 1 or 2 ). Though these days I hardly go to the gym. I workout from home (work out dvds) or just take walks.

• im black and I go to the gym 3 days per week for 45 min to 1 hour. I also do volleyball and used to do ballet 4 days a week for 4 hours each day so I was really active. although I'm not fat I did gain 30 pounds due to depo provera shot which I'm trying to lose( I'm 5'7 140lbs) I think it depends on the area you live in. more cities/metropolotian areas probably have more black women working out than say a small town south of nowehere :)

• good question...but I wouldn't know because I don't go...I don't really need to...I don't gain weight even though I eat all the time...

• Maybe some save money by running outside for free or don't go because they don't wanna stick out I know that's why I wouldn't go

• Does it matter what race you are,everybodys there for one reason to EXERCISE

• i work out at home. I don't have money for a gym membership but my friend goes a couple times a week.

• Do you live in an area where there are not many african Americans?

• No I live in a heavly populated AA area.

• well I am AA and prefer to go for a walk outside rather then the gym. I think it all comes down to preference. I see many AA walking the route I do so don't think we aren't exercising we just are going it other places then the gym most of the time