Do I try out black henna, or do I leave my hair as is?

I dyed my hair red in the last few years, and ever since the dye faded my hair's different colors. It's dark brown at the roots and then it just goes lighter and lighter until the end of it. It's sort of brownish, redish and sometimes orange in the sunlight. I used to like it, but now I'm kinda sick of it.

Plus, my hair got a little dryer because of the red dye, so now it's finally getting better. Dilemna : trying black henna or not. Why black henna? Apparently, it's not a dye it's natural so it doesn't f*** up my hair.

What do you guys think ?

Most Helpful Girl

• Henna is GREAT for your hair, in general, it's very conditioning. The only issue here is that you can't use it on hair that's already been chemically processed with other dyes, until it grows out and you cut off the dyed part. I'm not sure exactly what it does, but I've always read that it's a really bad idea to use it on processed hair. The coloring I mean. I still use other non-coloring henna products on my hair to keep it healthy. If you do use it, you need body art quality henna specifically, to use on processed hair. Certain henna colors you buy have metallic compounds that react with the chemicals in regular hair dye, and will f.uck up your hair big time. Body art quality henna doesn't have those additives, so you can avoid that problem. Also, there's no such thing as real black henna. Those are made with indigo, and you'll likely have the same issue with metallic compounds. But I'm sure there's some kind of indigo you can buy that is pure, and will give you the color you want without the nasty side effects of chemical reactions, lol, I just couldn't tell you where to find it.

• Crap :/ I totally forgot about the chemicals already in my hair. So finding body art quality henna solves that problem? But I heard black henna for the body tends to be really bad for the skin and the hair..

• It should solve the problem. But hmm, anything marketed as 'black henna' isn't even technically henna, it would be indigo, so FOR ME, I wouldn't trust something that doesn't market their product accurately, or at least say somewhere else on the packaging what it actually is. Because if they can't tell you what the real deal is, then how can you trust what else might be in it? =/ I've never heard that about it being bad for skin and hair, I'll have to look into that.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 5

• Never ever ever go black. It is the worst color you can put on your hair, and when it grows out it will look funny. It's best to go dark brunette or something. If you do truly want black hair, I'd leave a dark brown on for a little extra. It will have the advantage of lasting longer.

You could try a different dye?

I've heard bad things about henna, I would stick to dye it's a little more trusted. If you don't want to be radical, you can dye the tips or something? Or look at a celeb you like and look at their hair now and previous ones.

• I've heard horror stories involving permanent scaring from black henna, my friends hand actually blistered and swelled because she bought a bad brand. Make sure you buy a respectable brand or one that you or your friends have tried before.

• Worse thing you can do is dye your hair black. I would maybe go an extremely dark brown so its not as harsh looking.

• black/brown henna is amazing for the hair but it has one problem, it doesn't smell good :S but anyways the smell will go away after few wash ups

• Really? Even if there's some dye left in my hair?

• yea I think it should work , just make sure you buy the right brand. and make sure its organic :)

• My mom uses henna. It does her hair wonders!