Girls if your boyfriend asked you to dress more conservatively, would you do it for him?

supposing that your clothes are a bit provocative

would you do it just for him, because you love him

to make things clearer, I won't do such thing just to control her, I don't have this kind of problems, and it also depends on where we were going, dressing for the movies is different from dressing to a party, plus I'm not gonna tell her: hey girl! listen from now on you're not wearing these clothes anymore. NO, I'll sit with her and explain to her why I'm asking this from her, so that she'll be understanding and compliant,
another thing is that some of you girls said that why would he ask you to do this after dating for a long time, well for me I would ask her this from the beginning. also some of you said why would I date her from the beginning, as I said to "knowmeyourself" some girls are great from every aspect except the way they dress, it doesn't suit me or my community,
oops, updated twice the same thing, anyway in case not all of you girls read the guys answers, well take a look on them, specially the dudes who answered anon (with long answers) and "FrancoBattiato", actually they helped in expressing my point of view,

you girls don't know how we guys think, it's not just a matter of pursuiting the trend, there's more into it, and for the girls who answered with Yes (they would change), I tell you your boyfriends are lucky to have you :)

Most Helpful Girl

• OMG why do people keep repeating the word CONTROLLING! if a man doesn't like the way his woman dresses in a particular time doesn't mean he is controlling. it means he cares for her. A controlling man would be someone who would force you to do something.

If my man wanted to come outside shirtless, or topless I would immediately ask him to put on a shirt or t-shirt. WHY? I don't want him bothering the eyes of single women out there who can't get a man who is attractive. I also don't want women drooling over him. and I don't want him attracting unwanted attention.

Obviously for a man, there is more to what I just said above. they are men, they are hardwired to protect their woman.

What Girls Said 66

• If I get anymore conservative I'll be wearing a burqa, so no.

if he asked me to, I don't know if I'd change my ENTIRE wardrobe, it depends what I was wearing at the time, where I was going and if I felt like it or not. it depends on what he's talking about. my version of his "provocative" could differ from his. I had one boyfriend who would get mad if I wore makeup, spent time on my hair or wore cute clothes when he wasn't with me. that wasn't cool and I didn't change then.

• I would tell him to f*** off, but it's good to know the truth about what he thinks about my clothes.. A better approach would to take me shopping and say "I think you would look beautiful in this (insert conservative outfit)"

• Would you lean towards wearing those clothes if he did it like that?

• yea, but this is on the same level of changing someone so it must be don't delicately and not pushed. because If I'm wearing those clothes it's for a reason, because I like them, not to get other guys attention he needs to trust that no matter what I wear I'm his. I don't want to date my date, he should want me to look and feel sexy, I'm leaning more towards the "f*** off" part of my answer.lol

• I might humor him a little bit, within reason, just because I like making my dude happy and I value his feelings. I occasionally wear certain things I own more often just because I know he likes them. But at the end of the day, I wear what I want/like and I don't need anyone's permission to do it because I'm an adult, and my own person. He knew how I dressed when he decided to date me.

That being said though, my dude doesn't have any issues with what I wear, no matter how much leg I'm showing, or if you can see a little cleavage. He likes and comments on my quirky clothing choices, lol. So this isn't really a problem for me. And I don't dress all that provocatively anyway. Like my boobs aren't popping out all over the place, and I only have bare legs when I wear shorts. With skirts, especially short ones, I pretty much always wear tights of some sort. I'm not a big fan of totally exposing my body to strangers, lol.

• Lol one downvote so far, YES!

• Girls if your boyfriend asked you to dress more conservatively, would you do it for him? No

would you do it just for him, because you love him? No and if love is his bs excuse to guilt trip me into following his controlling behavior I'd inform him I shouldn't have to change myself or do things to suit him to prove my love right before dumping him

Then I'd laugh because guys are always whining about how girls try to change them LMAO XD

• ...lol change yourself? it's clothes.

• Cleavage? Short shorts? Shirt where her tummy is revealing? Make urself look like a dum slots wanting to get effed up -_-
      Seriously.. respect yo man's wish. No need for anymore admirers beside yo man '-'

• @Keyspirit
      In my opinion respect is earned and being my boyfriend doesn't earn him control over what I wear. I find it amusing and a bit biased for guys to whine about a gal having admires when he himself admires other gals- fantasizes about other gals, masturbates to p*rn/other gals, and checks out other gals.

If he can 'admire' other gals I'm not going to limit my expression for his insecurity that other guys will look at me.

• I don't know.

It's tricky - on principle - I'd say no.

If you're dating me, you're dating me for me and if you don't like it you don't like me - and they way I dress is a part of who I am.

But honestly it's hard for me to say because although I don't dress conservatively, I don't dress at all provocatively either, so if a guy asked me to change the way I dress; I'd worry mostly that he had serious paranoia issues.

But that aside, I wouldn't do it because I don't feel that they way I dress is in any way indecent, or demeaning of our relationship in terms of me outwardly trying to attract other men.

That being said, if I put on something to go out in - and my 'boyfriend' asked me to change because it was a bit revealing. Then sure, probably I would. I wouldn't mind a guy having a problem with me wearing certain things at certain times - but if he asked me to completely change the way I dressed at all times, then no, I wouldn't do it.

• Why you girls think that if a guy asks you to dress more conservative is for "paranoia issues" or insecurities? What about if those are just his values?

• I said I'd assume that in terms of me - because I don't dress in anyway provocative. So if a guy asked ME to change the way I dressed, I would assume it wasn't because his values - because there isn't anything wrong with the way I dress in terms of being ... too out there.

I wouldn't assume this of every guy who asks every girl to change the way they dress.

More from Girls
61

What Guys Said 15

• A lot of the girls answers here are the typical feminist response they've been programmed with these days. I have once asked my girl to wear jeans instead of a skirt. She asked why and I just said it'd make me feel better. Now immediately I bet you think it's primitave jealousy or trying to 'change you' (they're f***ing clothes, grow up, you wear a suit to a job interview). She said yes without any more questions but if she did ask I would have told her the truth.

It wasn't to control her, or to 'change her' (still laughing at the bs of that lol), it was to protect her. Like a man is supposed to do of his woman. No, I do not agree that a woman is responsible if she gets raped while wearing something very provocative, but if you think that wearing that provocative thing isn't increasing your chances of rape then you are mentally retarded. I asked her to wear jeans because it'd be a lot easier for a rapist to get at a girl wearing a skirt than a girl wearing jeans and that fact alone could deter someone. That is why it would make me feel better.

BA so all the moronic 'he's trying to change me' girls can see it.

• And ofcourse with this statement comes the backing factor that if I were with her, or at least in ear shot of her (shouts for help) she could wear a bikini for all I care. As long as I can keep her safe from any scumbags who think that's an invitation.

• Then your initial comment was pointless, because a pair of jeans WILL lessen your chances of getting raped in comparison to a skirt.

• Hang on let me try and dredge some care from give a f*** bay. Way to go creep on my pictures.

• I once had a Mrs who said I needed to dress 'less thuggishly'... guess how long she lasted

• it makes perfect sense to me, if she is good material she would understand. :)

• I would think they might but also it would seem like the boyfriend is controlling.

• If it was my girlfriend, she wouldn't- and would be pissed if I asked her to stay her style. But then again my girl is different, she treats everything like a business.

More from Guys
10