Looks over personality?

How important is looks to you in the opposite sex? Would you date someone just because they were hot? Would you not date someone because they weren't good-looking, even if they seemed like a likeable person? I'm just curious.

Most Helpful Girl

• looks can be eye candy or can force me to go and meet someone try to be their friend, but its only a gateway to see if the ultimate attraction will hinder- personality. like for example, I met this guy this past semester in my class and he is GORGEOUS. muscles, jawlines, cute smile, HOT. we started talking, he is mad friendly, but in reality, he seems like a crackhead. like he doesn't know anything, he says whatever, is lazy, not very intelligent, all he does is drink and get wasted, so I was turned off but he's a cool friend, that's about it.

in contrast, I met this guy in my freshman year. he loooked like a bum. he wore the same tshirt all the time, jeans, shaved when he wanted too.blah. But he came up to me to be my friend because we had mutual friends in common, and we had classes together, so we saw each other daily and got to know each other. He is such a SEXY guy. He is so outgoing, is ambitious, a family guy, has his group of friends outside of school, he's not afraid of what people think of him, we had philosophical debates, and talked about reality.not trash.he was funnny, and I was just so attracted to him. Not only did I fall hard for him, but I think he liked me too and he started to dress up a bit more, wear axe, clean shaven, I wanted to melt in his arms.

What Guys Said 3

• Normally a girls looks is what initiates the attraction.

If I'm looking for a relation ship, the looks don't matter as much, but I would still have to think that there at least kinda cute. A few flaws doesn't matter, as long as I kinda like how they look. For a relationship, personality is a biggy, gotta be funny, smart and not over opinionated (im pretty 'let the chips fall where they may' so people pushing their opinions on me is kinda annoying).

Random hookup -> Personality doesn't matter, Looks matter, Got to have minimum flaws.

• Not only does it depend on the guy, but also the context or situation that he's in. So I'll use myself as an example. Would I date a girl with a shallow personality but gorgeous looks and body? Yes I would. I've never had a girlfriend, fling, never flirted around, or anything like that. So I still want to experience that "eye candy" that most guys do back in high school. They experience enough girls like that and then learn to move on to mature girls. I would know going into it that it probably wouldn't work out and that she's not the best example of a relationship, but I want that visual and sexual stimulation from a hot girl. You'll hear guys say all the time that "the pretty girls aren't really relationship material unless they've grown up a little" and I'd say they're true. But still, I want a chance with that hot girl, I've never had that and I want to know the feeling. In a few years? I'll definitely be looking for personality to validate my time spent on her. But for now, I'm a shallow guy looking for shallow fun and I don't care how that sounds. Like I said, its all about context :)

• Personality is definitely more important to me. There has to be some element that is attractive, which there probably will be or else you wouldn't consider dating them. But I would rather have a girl who has an awesome personality and treats me well than a super-model-type who is just a b*tch and cheats or whatever. No matter how good someone looks, we are all going to age and change so if you base a relationship on looks, it may not always last anyways.

What Girls Said 9

• Looks is impt in some way. to me, without attraction and connection there can never be a relationship. I still like tall guys with sharp noses, long legs and nice forearms and unconsciously would pay more attention to them in conversations than others who don't fit this criteria.

but then again, I like people with very similar thoughts and personality to mine. with a wacky sense of humour. this is my no. 1 criteria. he can be brad pitt but if he doesn't fit this, too bad. this is the main factor, the looks come next. there has to be abit of both (:

• Somewhat - there has to be some degree of physical attraction. That being said I haven't dated total hotties that zero personality and I couldn't stand being around them. Also big egos are a turnoff too.

I have dated average guys that aren't so hot and maybe can't dress but after getting to know them, their personalities turn them into total hotties for me.

I am trying to get over the whole looks thing anyway - looks are shallow and not anything to build a lasting relationship or future marriage on - looks fade and then you are left with the person.

I generally blow off totally hot dudes now unless they have an intellectual side that appeals to me so no I would not date someone simply because they are hot - been there done that. I think it is better to date someone not good looking and be pleasantly surprised when you get to know them. That has worked better for me.

• Looks are pretty important to me, while I know they should be secondary. Being attracted to someone just makes it so much more fun and alluring. While the hot ones can come with a lot of hot garbage, having that physical attraction can be such a powerful element in a relationship/friendship/date. I am trying get away from someones looks being so important to me nowadays but its hard.

I've dated a few dudes that I wasn't super attracted to, but likable and I've enjoyed their company often, but at the end of the night, they aren't the people I think about. I think about them when I am bored or just want to strike up a convo. That sounds terrible. sorry :o/

So all in all, I would date someone that I was not very attracted to. Just because they are not that attractive to me physically doesn't mean we can't connect on another level and have a nice time together. Sometimes if you give things enough time to evolve you can look past someone's appearance.

• I'm a personality gal. It doesn't matter what you look like when I fall for you - you will be beautiful to me.

• I would date someone because of his looks. Why not? Guys do it. It's not like I would marry him but he might be fun to hang out with and we'd look good together so why not.

I wouldn't date someone I'm not attracted to. I've done it before and would never do it again. That's not fair to the other person because you can't fake chemistry. Better off as friends.

• looks are everything for a guy to a girl or if they have good personality 1 flaw doesn't count its weird

• When I began dating my boyfriend I wasnt attracted to him really at all.

But as time went on and I grew comfortable with him

I found things attractive in him I don't notice with other "hot guys"

So yes, I think personality is more important

and the actual physical attraction can grow with time

I used to think his hands were bony and gawky

until he showed me how he could use them, now I love them.

• I think you have to be attracted to that person physically. But they have to have brains too otherwise you will get bored. If he's super hot then he's probably a player.

• If a guy is REALLY good looking and a complete d***, I won't go out with him. Alternatively, if he's REALLY not good looking, but is a fantastic person, I WILL go out with him. But if he's got a good personality, AND is good looking, well, that's just a plus :)