What's it mean when women look you in the eye as you're walking by?

So, you read all over this site about how if a girl likes you she'll avoid eye contact, or look beyond him, or whatever. Then you get the occurrences when she doesn't find him attractive, and just looks where she's going or at something more interesting. But does it mean anything if the majority of young women a guy passes will look him in the eye, but no where else? In other words, not check a guy out, not look beyond him, not look then look away, but look him dead in the eye for as long as he looks at them, then nothing more...?

Or does it mean nothing at all?

My quest to in some way find understanding of the female half (third...?) continues... Have any enlightening information to share?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• A hard question to answer, but I'll do my best.

Like guys there are confident and unconfident women. Confident women are going to be blatantly obvious when they're attracted to a man. They'll give intense eye contact, small smiles, winks, etc.

Unconfident women are going to steal glances at you then quickly look away. They can also become jittery, with their movements, gain embarrassed smiles, blush etc.

Now there's also another factor that comes into play. Sometimes you can lock eyes with someone unintentionally, by this I don't mean you unaware that it's happening either. It's kind of like you suddenly look up and see someone there and before you know it, the stare down is happening and it goes on for how long before one of the two parties (usually the girl) breaks it.

As you can see, to answer your question isn't easy. If a girl is interested she'll give you another sign like a blush or smile, if she's not giving these signs and staring unemotionally, I'd say it's an unintentional eye lock.

This is just a rough guide of course. I've found that when I'm interested in a guy that I lock eyes with, I give other cues I'm interested in him without even realizing it.

What Girls Said 34

• well if that pic in your profile is you...then they are definitely staring at you. You have extremely intense eyes. Sorry, I don't mean to upset or insult you. But you seem to have a steady gaze. As though each look you give is invested with something. I don't think the females are always attracted as much as they are arrested. That is not to say they aren't attracted. Simply, that its hard to look away from your gaze.

Its like staring at an optical illusion, if you look long enough you begin to see "something else" in the picture. I think they are "seeing something else" as they continue to look into your eyes--the longer they look the more they see... even if what they see they cannot define.

Most people have a blank look in their eyes--or an uneffected gaze. But some people have an interactive stare that makes you notice them.

I pretty much always make eye contact with people even if briefly. If a guy is attractive, I will look longer. If I am unsure what his eye contact is saying, I will look longer. if he has kind eyes, I will look longer and even smile.

• I generally means nothing except that she noticed you looking. However if anyone makes eye contact with you while out it does mean that they are more receptive to conversation. Therefore if your interested go for it and say hello. Take it from there. If anything even if she is not interested you will make her smile.

• looking someone in the eye could mean anything...it depends on the type of look. like were they doe eyes, did she hold your eye contact, did she seem bashful, did she seem super confident, does she look everyone in the eye? just pay a lot of attention to her. also ask her out it can't hurt to ask and then you'll know your answer!

• It means nothing. I look everyone in the eye. I hate it when people misinterpret it..

• I do it all the time, and it doesn't mean anything in particular. I just like staring at eyes...that or I'm lost in thought.

• I don't really look at guys whom I like straight in the eye. If I do look at a guy, it's because he happened to look at me at the same time, and now we're both just stuck staring at each other...hmmm

• Just a little warning, she might be lost in thought and happened to find herself looking into your eyes. BUT, if she's keeping the eye contant going for a while, then she probably finds you to very attractive...if you approach her, she's going to respond positively.

• I do that when I'm into a guy because I can't help but look! I never avoid eye contact with my crush.

• I *always * try to look a guy in the eyes when I'm attracted to him even though sometimes is reeally hard :D but yes, if I want his attention I'll try and make an eye contact with him :)

• If I held eye contact with a guy for longer than a few seconds, it definitely means I'm attracted to him, or at least interested. Sometimes it's fun to just see their reactions, like yours. Most appear baffled, flattered, embarrassed, or just keep walking on. But I do have the tendency to make eye contact with everyone around me, just out of curiosity. And on another note, I don't have to full look a guy up and down to tell if he's attractive or not. I kind absorb his entire body with one look, and I can tell if I'm attracted just by the look in his eyes. If that makes sense. :\

• i always try and look a guy in the eyes just to see if he is looking back, but also hope at that same time that he doesn't notice me looking, its a complicated process lol

• A lot of the time I look at whoever I am with or whoever I want to be with in the eye when I walk by. Especially if it is a guy.

• there's a lot of meanings to it really.. like many of them have said, she either wants your attention, is attracted and mesmerized by you , is madat you or just happened to look at you the moment you looked at her.t

• In my case it would be because I am checking him out but accidentally make eye contact lol

• means that's either she is feeln you or she don't lik you

• She wants your d***.

• LOL

• either she finds you attractive or she's mad at you. but if she's mad at you, you'll know because it will be more of a glare than just a stare.

• Mostly noticeable through the eyelids.

• one or both: she finds him attractive or she wants his attention

• A girl who would do that sounds pretty confident. She's obviously trying to get the guy's attention and to show that she's interested. If she didn't find you attractive she wouldn't stare at you for more than a quick glance and if she did then she would be looking you up and down, not in the eye.

• You stare at random guys without breaking eye contact as you walk?

• hmm.. but sometimes I stare at guys I'm not interested in. And if I look at a guy up and down I'm most likely checking him out. Maybe it's just me though.

• If I look a guy in the eye as he is walking past I would think he is attractive and would want to get his attention...

• If they're looking at you they're trying to figure you out. If they're looking through you like you're invisible, you're supposedly invisible. If they're looking at you, then away, then at you again, then they like you but are shy (or at least trying to show you that they're shy so you can make the first move or two).

If they're looking you dead in the eye, they're either mad at you or confused about something and trying to figure you out.

• I do it sometimes, I just get distracted I don't even know why I do it. Well I guess it is because I either find him attractive or different (as in interesting) and I just can't get my eyes away.

• see every 1 likes attractive person...may be women finds some thing attractive in you may be your smile or way of walkig or height...see man express there sexuall desire but its nature of a girl that she express her sex desire or liking in different way so I think some of them express by this way...

• maybe you look just interesting to them

• Well I know I have rather big ears hahahahaha

• well maybe they looking at you cause your lookingat them...cause if someone is really staringme down sometimes I look back that's kinda how you notice they are looking at you so it's kinda funny cause on both sides the people wondering why is this person looking at me

or

some women if your cute they will look and they wanna show you they see you and notice you

• I"d say she just happened to look into his eyes at the same moment that he did or that she's trying to figure him out without wanting to express obvious interest...

• Out of habit I guess...wish it were the way you envision tho!

• why can't people just look where they're eyes need to, why do you people try so damn hard to look one way or the other, just be yourself, and in all honesty you should watch where you're going so you don't fall and make a fool of yourself.

• Sorry I'm going to ask you a question: I tend to look straight ahead when walking past the guy I like to convey confidence, should I not be doing that? And if he walks past me and kinda glances over and then either looks away if I see him or just does a quick head turn to look at me does that mean anything?

• Hmm I was thinking it showed a degree of confidence too...apparently not...lol

• I figure if she's looking straight ahead she's either not interested or she's got her mind on something else, like where she's headed or maybe she doesn't want to be bothered, but that's just my interpretation, because that's what I think if I won't look at someone, then again I usually look around just to know who's around me, like when looking in your mirrors when driving, gotta know where everyone is in case something happens or you want to change lanes, y'know? Keep track of what's happening

• when someone looks straight ahead like that I don't feel a sense of confidence from them, its more I feel like they don't even know of my existence. and from my experience if I did a quick glance at you then I either just happened to look at you or I saw you coming and I was preparing for a quick look (like at the sun lol).. so I would say that's inconclusive

• just trying to figure you out

• It means that we see you as our equal

• You mean an attractive equality?

• Equal... Why don't women already see men as their equal? I'm guessing this goes beyond and sort of social equality argument.../

• because I find him hot

• I'm shy and usually look away but if I do that with a guy then I'm either feeling good/having a good day or I'm thinking "why is he staring at me, what do you want person?" and mentally stare back until he looks away haha

• THIS is the best answer. As a girl, I completely associate with this answer. For instance, if I'm having a rough day, or just feel bad looking I will tend to avoid eye contact with people I find attractive because I don't want to see them judging me or have to deal with them possibly trying to check me out. Kind of stupid logic but whatever.

• great minds think alike! ;) haha

• lol wow this is EXCACTLY how I think as well-

• I do that a lot. The reason behind that is because in my head I'm pretending to have a staring contest with them, who ever looks away first loses.

• ..."Infinite staring contests" contest begins now... I won't lose...!

• I do that too :-D +1

• me too, I tend to always win.

• Show Older
  • When I think a guy is hot and I think he hasn't seen me I generally look him in the face cos I don't think they will bust me doing so. Sometimes they do, sometimes they dont. If they do I look away really fast and pretend nothing happened. If they don't then I just enjoy the view! =D

• I generally look guys in the eye when I find them attractive, its kind of my way of saying I want to get to know you better, approach me. But they never do cos I look like I'm still 12 years old. Well at least ill be youthful forever. XD

What Guys Said 17

• you probably had a booger on your face

• It all depends on hw the girls stare at you.if she gives you a strange look then things ain't good man bt if she gives you a dreamly kind of look then she like what she sees...got this my sister and I think the girls ve said it all from their answers

• lol Which basically implies - it's every possibility under the sun :P But yeah, looks that way.

• If they look you in the eye it probably means "you better not be looking at my chest, buster!"

• Basic Body Language

Facial Expressions:

Smile-(Attraction)

Women tend to drop their chin slightly and glance from under eyebrows while smiling.

Interest-

Eyes engaged, mouth relaxed, tilted with interest.

And to your question:

Held Gazes-

Interested or Attracted (Pupils Dilated)

Anger or hostility (Pupils Constricted)

"Intimate Feelings"-

Gaze wanders from eyes down face to other parts of the body

Just a little information for the heck of it but, what your are stating since I'm guessing its not a women you have met before then they are checking you out or interest/trying to get your attention.

Another fun fact: About ~60-70% of rapport is eye contact.

• Hence why I said "eye contact" not non-verbal :) although I could have worded it better

• No, about 80% is non-verbal, but that's more than just eye-contact.

• It's hard to tell. The only way to find out is to get to know a girl with time.

• It's just a form of flirting, but more that she has chosen you as someone to potentially date.

• Attraction = curiosity.

So if she's looking for a little longer than normal, she's interested!

• That means a woman has seen something strange about you or you might got in the way -the place she was looking at and she is kinda mad at you .

Girls stare at me always and I wondered that too . The first Anonymous girl( this moment ) answerer said it all .

Girls are always mad at me and they are confused so they look dead in my eye.

Some shy girls look and take their eyes away and I know they like me , but I am shy too so I don't approach too :(

• She just finds you attractive.

• I'm guessn it means she see's you?

it could mean nethng depending on how she looked at yu tho...

• noticed him staring and looked back to see wtf this dudes lookin at :p its possible.

• Great question! I like to think of this as the "look of uncertainty" by both the girl and the guy. While you may be thinking "I have a super hotty looking at me, you are also wandering does she like me or find me highly attractive?" while you are gazing into her eyes, The girl might have the same thing on her mind, and feel the same way. It is always hard to read a girl like this, but one thing is for sure, once they make prolonged eye contact with you, you can almost be certain that you have a unique feature about your appearance, that she can't seem to take her mind and eyes off of.

• yeah right

• Depends on the girl I think. Sometimes a girl might not LET you catch her checking you out and just be showing you some respect. I don't let my eyes wander over a girl as much if I know she's watching me(even if I am attracted to them).

Some might just be showing they're matching your gaze. I find it a bit of a turn-on when a girl looks me back, dead square, in the eye. If you smile and she smiles, I believe that you have an opening for a 'move' - if that's what you're wanting to do.

• nothing it means nothing for the love of god!

• It means nothing! Don't make a big deal about it!

• haha am curious too I've asked my self the same question ! any girl has an answer

• If it is just a one off thing then I'd say she is giving you that "Your sexy" stare. If it occures a lot then I'd say that may be a sign of, "your cute, introduce yourself to me", kind of thing. It can be a good thing (where she may want to get to know you in a decent way) or in a nuaghty way.

• Maybe the guy has beautiful eyes, but I'm kind of curious too.