How do you feel when you look up at the stars?

Do you feel insignificant? Do you feel absolute amazement at the size of the universe? Is it a religious experience for you? Or does it make you think scientifically about light traveling through space, being slightly deflected by strong gravitational fields, getting scattered in the atmosphere before a tiny tiny fraction off all that light being produced by the star shoots through your pupil and hits your retina where it is converted into electrical impulses that are sent to your brain? Do you find answers? Or just more questions? Do you wonder who else on earth is looking at the exact same stars at the exact same time? Do you wonder if beings on another planet are looking at the same stars, seeing them in a different pattern than what you see? Or do you just think "hey look, stars. That's nice...I'm hungry."

Most Helpful Girl

• I do feel insignificant, but I also feel at peace... there is something so relaxing about looking up at the stars that I can't explain. It's like a spiritual experience for me. I don't think about all the inner workings of the stars -- I think that just detracts from the beauty of it. I just stand there in amazement at how something so magnificent can exist, and appreciate it for what it is.

It makes me feel hopeful and appreciative. Looking up at the stars on a clear night is such a simple act... and yet most people don't take the time to slow down and take it all in. So, doing so makes me feel hopeful and optimistic. There is more beauty in this world than most people realize, but they are so stuck in their pessimistic worlds that they fail to see all of it right in front of them.

What Girls Said 14

• I feel overwhelmed. I feel as if the sky is endless and the number of stars uncountable... and I wonder how many other people are looking at the stars the same time as I am. Then I wonder what the stars might look like in other countries. Then I feel amazed about this world and what possibilities are out there. And then I get depressed because I know that I won't be able to experience it all. It's an endless spiral of emotions lol.

• I look up in amazement and wonder how vast it is. I wish I could somehow fly out there, without having to worry about oxygen and just explore. I wonder if people who have passed on are somehow integrated into that universe as well, in a dimension that I cannot access. I ponder what other planets are out there besides the ones we know about.

• I always feel like there could be another muffin looking right back at me from another one.

-M.C Muffin.

• Magical...that's what I think. How mysterious and beautiful they are. I'm sure it would be the same feeling as standing next to a redwood in CA...you're reminded of how much more to life there is than our daily routines...there's a world of immense possibility out there in the distance...Also, since I saw Lion King last night (don't judge lol), maybe the souls of people who died before us are out there watching over us...creepy but cool to think no? =)

• I love looking at the stars. I live a bit out of town so the stars are really visible. It makes me think happy thoughts ^^.

Or I think: I wonder how many years ago that star "died"...

• peaceful.

• I usually think about all the other stars I can't see. Due to light pollution, I can only see two stars at night :\. (if I'm lucky.)

• I can't believe how old they are!

• the sky at night its amazingly beautiful, it takes me away,makes me forget everything behind, stare at the stars and I become lost , till I get back to my conscious...

• Beautiful.

I don't necessarily feel insignificant, but purpose, at peace and happy.

It's purely just amazement on how vast the universe is..there's just so much more out there then we can see or even comprehend. I always thought it was interesting at the fact - we can be looking at a star that's long gone but we can still visually see it.

• Peaceful and happy.

• I feel free! I absolutely love watching the stars, but sometimes its sad! Because it makes me think of my grandmother (she died 6 years ago), and other things going on in my life..

Also the stars makes me question many things.. how? where? when? what? who?

But I do have the feeling of being free, and its amazing <3

And if I stare at the sky long enough I can see a shooting star, even if I'm sad at that moment, it makes me smile!

• disappointed,you can barely see the stars where I'm from,too much pollution

• Small, dreamy, optimistic, amazed, calm, happy...

I talk to God too :) I ask questions without expecting any answers.

What Guys Said 9

• I feel a mix of amazement at how big things are, how I can feel both small in comparison but worthwhile at the same time because I have such deep thoughts about it, and I feel peaceful- like I'm looking at something so soothing, clear sky, black or dark purple sky.

Ahhhh so relaxing :)

• I look huge as hell. Look at those tiny things...

jk LOL

• I do marvel at the sheer volume of our universe

• i wonder just how vast the universe is, how far away the stars are, what elses out there, so I guess more questions lol

• I am amazed that they are but tiny specks in the sky, but larger than we can even fathom. Amazed that they are much like our sun, and that those stars produced the materials that I am. That the universe is constantly expanding into something unknown, that some unknown force keeps its acceleration constant. I wonder what kinds of exotic worlds exist, stranger than our strangest imaginations.

It also sometimes makes me feel a little insignificant. In the grandness of the universe, our earth affairs are absolutely meaningless. That our lives here on earth, are but the tiniest of fractions relative to the origins and duration of time. Ultimately it makes me realize that despite the wealth theorems we possess, we honestly know nothing.

• But like another user pointed out, somehow I find myself at peace stargazing. It's like somehow I'm comforted in knowing that whatever has led to my being here, is an everlasting mechanism.

• I wish I could be up there as well. Sometimes, almost anywhere but here.

• i wonder if there's someone out there looking back in my direction, doing the same thing I'm doing

• I feel like for how much we as a race do know we still know absolutely in the grand scheme of things

• I feel damn tiny!