What's a good way to make a crappy lamp look cool?

I'm the designer challenged sort. I usually love all things wood(it looks awesome), however, my bedroom is looking a little drab at the moment since I just moved.

I have a lamp that's decent looking I guess, so not completely crappy, but I'm looking for a way to make the shade more or less look cool with a feminine touch, just not ultra girly(no feathery type stuff XD ). Any ideas from you lovely people?

23

Most Helpful Girl

• i put ribbon around the edges of a few lampshades or beaded the edges. and I have bought some lamps from thrift stores that were cool shapes and spray painted them all the same color to make them each unique but work together too

• My roommate suggested maybe spray painting it...

• She has a bright green she said I could borrow...and while I sort of suck at designing...not sure it'd go well in my all wood/dark red curtained room. lol. Think if I do it, I'll go for dark red...maybe black...

• orange or brown might look good too. and depending on the red in your room, green could go with it because red and green are complimentary colors

Sponsored

What Guys Said 3

• Choose a simple 3 color scheme.

Personally, I'd go with white, black, and since you want it to be feminine, make pink the 3rd color.

Now, envisioning the lamp... its got a bowl-shaped lid covering the bulb, a long neck, and a base. You can approach these parts in two ways.

Accent the lid + base, or accent the neck. For this suggestion, paint the neck black and the lid + base white.

Whatever you choose to do design-wise with the pink is up to you. You can go with an abstract checkered design, a splattered paint design, or even a simple logo design with little flowers and such. Use the white lid and base as your canvas.

• break it lol

• You are hilarious. You care how your lamp looks? HAHA! Seriously, I'm unable to help you. You're probably much more creative than me. Anyways, thanks for 3 points.

What Girls Said 1

• Get a scarf and line the shade, maybe?