Shampoo messes my hair, advice?

normally my hair is easy to style in the morning but when I shampoo my hair becomes dry and loses all volume. even with gel my hair will go down after lets say 20 min why is this?

p.s: it ain't the shampoo because I have very many shampoos!

Most Helpful Girl

• It is the sulfates in shampoos that do this. So, you shampoo to clean and remove oil, then you need a conditioner to add back in oils but that can weigh your hair down and then we use styling products that have alcohol in them (many gels do too) and that dries our hair out again.

I started using WEN on my hair and my daughter's after friends at work told me about it. They have very hard to manage hair and love it. It is not cheap but if you do not shampoo everyday it wouldn't be as expensive. It has no sulfates and is a conditioning shampoo that cleans and conditions. You cannot buy it in stores but can buy it online through their website or through QVC.

What Girls Said 3

• use conditioner. and then before you blow dry or style it, use heat protectant. and please make suer your gel is lightweight, you don't want you hair to weigh down.

• do you use conditioner?

• your shampoo is stripping all the oil out of your hair. that's why it's hard to style and dry instead of silky. do you use conditioner? you could try using baby shampoo which is much less harsh if you're washing it in the morning just to see what happens.

What Guys Said 2

• Its the gel! Having studied botany to some extent, I can safely tell you that anything chemical, damages your hair. This includes hair mousse, hair gel, brylcream, shampoo as well alongside and all that crap.

Stop applying these products to your hair. Shampoo once a day (if your hair gets to grimy within 24 hours) and conditioner is the MAX you can do. Do not straighten your hair, do not use hair gels (if you want to sustain hair before you reach 40 that is) and any sort of spray is a complete sin.

What you SHOULD do is massage your hair frequently, I suggest twice a week. What this does is increase blood circulation in your scalp, hence making your hair livelier and healthier.

Use coconut oil for doing so, leave it on for two hours and shampoo using a mild shampoo. Baby shampoos are honestly the best because they have least chemicals. The ONLY purpose of a shampoo is do wash away all that grease dirt and grime, period. That fragrance-stronger hair-silky hair crap they try to sell is all lies. Shampoo of any kind does the opposite than good.

There are plenty of tutorials on internet to make homemade conditioners, I have personally tried avocado and it does wonders. Even yogurt would suffice.

I know this sounds like a hassle, but trust me, a guys asset is his hair. Nothing is more unappealing than a man with fugly mane. So tame yours and keep it healthy.

Good luck!

• I totally know what you mean. It's just the way they make shampoo. It's got all this extra crap in there to fluff your hair and make it smooth and tangle free. The problem is that most of these shampoos are aimed at womens hair, and the characteristics that come with good looking womens hair. Because of this I try to shampoo as little as possible, maybe twice a week if my hair is really dirty, but usually I just skip the shampoo when I shower. I haven't tried it yet but I know there are shampoos that are "all natural" and don't have any of that extra stuff in them like fragrance, or detangler, you could try those.